The Light Clock Kickstarter

Jon D.

Apr 21, 2016, 5:24:35 PM4/21/16
to neonixie-l
What a disappointment and waste of $153 (shipping included) this was.  The photos speak to the quality (or lack thereof) cosmetically.  This is going to be a rebuild cosmetically for sure.  Holy crap !!!  The reason I am sending this out is because they are trying to sell these on the open market.  BUYER BEWARE.

(I am being very respectful here, and telling the truth, such as it is.  I also sent this info to Kickstarter corporate, not that I expect them to do anything about it...they already got their cut.)

Just received my package for a so-called $153 Light Clock.  Aesthetically, what a ripoff.  You should be ASHAMED to be associated with this !!!  What a piece of sh*t!!!  Looks like a 5-year-old put their greasy hands all over the the face.  This cannot be displayed in anyone's home (as is).

The face is also clearly knicked in 2 places.  And the LED strip was loose on the end.  Who did the quality control?  You cannot blame shipping on any of this.  THIS WAS SHIPPED IN A CRAPPY, POORLY FINISHED STATE (though the box was manged a little).  Holy crap am I disappointed.  I guess this cannot be the present I intended.

This cannot be displayed on any wall in my home or anyone else's, not even the garage.

To date of all the Kickstarters I have participated in, this is hands down THE WORST LOOKING piece of crap I have ever received.  WOW !!!

I haven't even plugged it in yet.  Maybe after I cool off.

Strangely, they proudly showed a photo of all of the boxes stacked up in their garage prior to shipping -- so they must not have even looked in the boxes because mine is complete crap visually.

I did comment on the Kickstarter page to the makers (dare I call them that), to Kickstarter Corporate, as well as mentioning this on Twitter.  And now I am posting here so you can all avoid this PoS as they try to sell to an otherwise unsuspecting public.

Live and learn...

Jon

20160421_131740.jpg
20160421_132102.jpg
20160421_131934.jpg

threeneurons

Apr 21, 2016, 7:11:19 PM4/21/16
to neonixie-l

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 2:24:35 PM UTC-7, Jon D. wrote:
What a disappointment and waste of $153 (shipping included) this was....  BUYER BEWARE.

Is that it !

Nice project for a hobbyist, but they got $30K for that POS !

I was at Westdave's house, a while back, and among the many LED "analog" clocks that he has, was a little store bought unit with red leds. That thing did basically the same thing as that Kickstarter ripoff, plus more. Actually, a lot more. And "spiffier", too !

There are, at least, a couple of dozen guys, in this group, that can make the equivalent, electrically. And a couple, of the top of my head, who can make a much slicker looking package. Actually, many that make a package better than that, but a couple, who can create something really nice !

Geez, I just had a bowel movement ... maybe I should put that on Kickstarter. It looks like Elvis ! ... I swear !

Terry S

Apr 21, 2016, 10:16:54 PM4/21/16
to neonixie-l
Did you address your concerns with the "makers" directly and discretely before posting your rants all over the web? Sometimes a little tact goes a long ways.

Perhaps they would have offered you some compensation or rebate that would have satisfied you. Likely too late now...

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2016, 10:33:04 PM4/21/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Normally, I would do exactly what you suggest.  I sent them an email with no response so far.  But the visual quality is sooo friggin' bad I don't care at this point.  It is so bad it comes across like a scam.  Perhaps they would have done something had I wasted more time on them, and perhaps and probably not.  Don't care any more.  Now I just want to warn people to not buy their sh*t since they're taking pre-orders for an online store.

Another interesting tidbit is that the maker is in Melbourne, Australia (which may be why no email response yet, but I don't care).  But the package came from Germany.  WTF?!!  The package had not been opened.  There was only on piece of tape across the box that had not been removed or resealed (i.e. so it does not appear Customs could be at fault).

Like I said before, I have never had any problem with any Kickstarter...until now.  I've heard a few horror stories about Indiegogo, but I've even received a few hardware items from some of their makers with no issues.  But now I'm in one from Kickstarter.

Moving on...nothing more to see here.

petehand

Apr 22, 2016, 4:24:08 AM4/22/16
to neonixie-l
I've seen other nixie clocks on Kickstarter that looked like absolute garbage, yet had tens of thousands subscribed. I always ask myself, who ARE these people with so much money, and where the hell are they when I put something nice on Ebay or Etsy? I guess I could put something on Kickstarter myself.

Tom Harris

Apr 22, 2016, 5:53:33 AM4/22/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
It's a nice idea, they just stuffed up making it. Looks pretty easy to make properly.

Tom Harris <celep...@gmail.com>