Remains of a pandicon calculator

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Apr 19, 2017, 2:10:39 PM4/19/17
to neonixie-l
I bought the remains of a nixie calculator from ebay a week ago. It has an eight-digit pandicon-tube on it and is fully working. The Case is missing.

It's still beautiful to me and i though i'd share this with you :)

Very interesting is the concept of the buttons! The used small plastic shells with a round magnet inside, to set of reed-switches when pressing the button - instead of using mechanical switches!
By google-ing around i think it could be the the remains of the "Logic-Data TW" Link!, because it matches the key layout (besides "P" and "CF" missing)

Enjoy the pictures :)
button.jpg
complete.jpg
digits1.jpg
keyboard.jpg
mainboard.jpg
supply.jpg
L08B8182.jpg

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Apr 19, 2017, 2:12:44 PM4/19/17
to neonixie-l
more pics...
L08B8170.jpg
L08B8185.jpg
L08B8201.jpg

Terry S

Apr 19, 2017, 2:13:08 PM4/19/17
to neonixie-l
Dang I'm sorry I missed that! Nice find!

Terry S

Apr 19, 2017, 2:36:31 PM4/19/17
to neonixie-l
By the way, the calculator in that TW link is the unit I donated/traded/sold (can't really recall) to the "curator" of the online classic computer museum. I've had two of those pass thru my hands. Could never bring myself to tear them apart for the Pandicon.

Terry

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 1:12:44 PM UTC-5, SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F. wrote:
more pics...

Jonathan Peakall

Apr 19, 2017, 5:33:18 PM4/19/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Very cool and nice score! I'm totally envious!

Jonathan Peakall

Apr 19, 2017, 5:36:30 PM4/19/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I wouldn't rip it apart either. But I might sneaky make it into a
clock, so it could easily be put back. Or make a calculator for it. One
way or another I'd find a way to use that sexy pandicon.

gregebert

Apr 19, 2017, 5:54:11 PM4/19/17
to neonixie-l
Clockulator - Functions as a calculator but times-out to be a clock if no keys are pressed after a few minutes ?

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Apr 20, 2017, 4:10:44 AM4/20/17
to neonixie-l
Im currently working on a pandicon-project with the 14-digit version (sadly i don't have a workshop and can only do woodworks outside, so "no working" in winter). This calculator helped me much to learn abou the pandicon timing. The gap between Anode 1 and Anode 2 is really "long" (400uS) so i'm glad this will not be any problem for an arduino microcontroller :)

If i have time, this working calculator gets a new case and a new life by me, i want to leave the components alon, but i might be able to "hack" it a little by injecting the control-signals to display something.

A simple clock would be fairly simple :) just interface the buttons, type eg. 10:09:51, after a change in the seconds, interface the clear-button and type 10:09:52. This could be done by just soldering wires to the button wires and switch them by a microcontroller :)... Will try one day :)

If i remember right, i saw a nixie calculator on youtube some time ago, that was controllable by smartphone :)