IN-13 analog radiation ticker

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Apr 4, 2020, 4:50:20 PM4/4/20
to neonixie-l
Hi folks,

I know this is not a real project or so, but i just wanted to share this with you.

I was conducting experiments with radiation today, and when i looked at the analog scale of my Ludlum Model 3 geiger counter, i was wondering how this would look in neon. Then i came up with the idea by controlling an IN-13 with it. Basically i just clamped the analog meter (i did not want to physically modify anything on the meter) and take a voltage from the 1mA analog scale there. I amplified this signal by an opamp (LTC6268 was the one i had, any opamp will do). To control the level i added a potentiometer in the feedback path. The output of the opamp was controlling the IN-13 current via a Transistor (KSP44 in my case. MSP44 will do too).

The complete circuit was made from parts that i just had and is fully analog.

I've made a short video where you can see how this looks. I'm switching between "fast" and "slow" mode for counts about in the middle of the video.

I kinda like how this looks and works :-) maybe i will 3D-print a mount for the IN-13 (with a scale) and attach it to my other Ludlum meter.

What do you guys think about it?
IN13ctrl.png

Mac Doktor

Apr 4, 2020, 8:12:49 PM4/4/20
to neonixie-l

On Apr 4, 2020, at 4:50 PM, SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F. <jfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

I kinda like how this looks and works :-) maybe i will 3D-print a mount for the IN-13 (with a scale) and attach it to my other Ludlum meter.

What do you guys think about it?

I'm there. A DIYGeiger, SBM-20 and/or SBT-11A, and a suitable enclosure would be great.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor”

"Never install version point-zero of anything"

Bill Notfaded

Apr 8, 2020, 1:00:53 AM4/8/20
to neonixie-l
That's really frickin cool!!! The totally analog part of it especially. trueretro

The same reason I still like analog synths too with lots of analog knobs. Knobs knobs knobs and sliders!!!

Bill

Bill Notfaded

Apr 8, 2020, 1:05:35 AM4/8/20
to neonixie-l
I like those pancake probes too... Makes a nice counter. Is that a 44-9?

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Apr 9, 2020, 8:57:47 AM4/9/20
to neonixie-l
Yes, its the ludlum 44-9 with an LND Pancake