Sperry / Beckman SP-101 Panaplex display

Richard Scales

Dec 21, 2019, 9:51:31 AM12/21/19
to neonixie-l
Does anyone have any data on these Panaplex displays?

I am particularly interesting in finding out what the specified cathode currents are for the various parts of the display, colon, comma and decimal point might be?

From digging around it seems that they are all in the micro amp region - typically 300 micro amps for the larger sections though it would be good to know for sure.

Also, has anyone made a board or have a 'footprint' that I could use? I have measured one but it would be great if accurate data was available.

Richard

gregebert

Dec 21, 2019, 11:00:10 AM12/21/19
to neonixie-l
I made a wristwatch with a similar device (SP-151). Segment current is 335uA, which is right around what you mentioned.

If you are multiplexing, you may need to tweak the segment current and timing; mine is direct-drive.

Making the PCB footprint was a challenge; I used a digital caliper and measured all pin locations. Then printed 1:1 and verified.
Most pins are in the same row, so not completely random.
The PCB worked the first time, but it takes patience to get the display fully seated. Beware of the 'glasshole' , because it requires a large hole thru the PCB, and it's size and location varies from displays.

Dekatron42

Dec 21, 2019, 10:34:32 PM12/21/19
to neonixie-l
This isn't exactly what you are looking for but it is about the SP-3/7XX and SP-15X series, not just the few pages usually found under that name but the whole catalogue!

/Martin

Nick

Dec 23, 2019, 8:54:26 AM12/23/19
to neonixie-l
Pretty tricky to locate data for these - The Beckman socket is the CS-101 - I have a few of these and the SP-101s, but no datasheet for them. You might have slightly more luck searching for the CS-101 specs...

300uA is about right for direct drive, less obviously for the smaller cathodes. I would start with the smaller SP-35x currents, and work up slowly from there until you get reliable operation...

Nick

Richard Scales

Dec 24, 2019, 12:10:07 AM12/24/19
to neonixie-l
Thank you all for your input, I now have the 'footprint' sorted (awaiting test PCB's) and sufficient data (albeit not for the actual tubes!) and suggestion to make a start. Thank you all for your help. I will present the fruits of my labour as and when I have something physical to show.

Richard

ZethieTail

Mar 10, 2020, 5:18:52 PM3/10/20
to neonixie-l
hi, i just joined this group cause i have a bunch of sp-1511 that i want to use, can you mabey send me some files of the footprint or something?  or arduino cosy and such to make my own

Richard Scales

Mar 10, 2020, 6:00:06 PM3/10/20
to neonixie-l
The footprint will be completely different.
I will look up that art number

ZethieTail

Mar 13, 2020, 2:01:43 AM3/13/20
to neonixie-l
you hace cs-101 sockets?  can i see a pic of em?

Richard Scales

Mar 13, 2020, 2:10:07 AM3/13/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I can send pics when I get back to UK on 23rd

Nick

Mar 18, 2020, 12:15:29 PM3/18/20
to neonixie-l
Two types - one much higher quality, one a genuine CS-101 (says so in corner)...

Note the SP-101 has really thin wires and the CS-101 (or equivalent) has stand-offs (see the side-on photo) that means only about 2mm of the wire actually hits the socket.

HTH

Nick
IMG_20200318_155923.jpg
IMG_20200318_160314.jpg
IMG_20200318_160725.jpg
IMG_20200318_160842.jpg

ZethieTail

Mar 19, 2020, 5:58:46 AM3/19/20
to neonixie-l
oh, i thought it was some socket for the sperry clock display, just was curious how they might of looked

Richard Scales

Mar 19, 2020, 11:15:00 PM3/19/20
to neonixie-l
I am trying to get enough displays and sockets for a clock and i recognise the board in your photos. Are you (anyone else) willing to part with displays and sockets?

ZethieTail

Mar 23, 2020, 9:02:41 AM3/23/20
to neonixie-l
im just trying to find sockets for my displays, but i dont really need em i think, ill just go with individual pin sockets  or wiring up the display directly to the pins, but if i design a board i hope i get the pin layout right

martin martin

Mar 23, 2020, 4:36:11 PM3/23/20
to neonixie-l

Richard Scales

Mar 24, 2020, 4:22:09 AM3/24/20
to neonixie-l
The only thing I would say is that the pins on SP-101's are really thin, they are lost in a 1.0mm pin socket. They are also lost in 0.75mm pin socket. I just measured the diameter of one of the pins and it was about 0.46mm which is super skinney.

Paul Andrews

Mar 25, 2020, 2:18:24 PM3/25/20
to neonixie-l
Those are basically wires. I use these: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=ed90101-nd. I would think that Harwin would make something similar.

I'm about to try them for a different planar display. Hopefully I can get them inserted without bending them all up. That would be a tragedy.

Richard Scales

Mar 25, 2020, 11:49:04 PM3/25/20
to neonixie-l
Good find, they should do the trick. Now then, when you say 'different planar display' ????????????? ;-)

John Rehwinkel

Mar 26, 2020, 5:39:50 PM3/26/20
to neonixie-l
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/29e3fcf8-161d-4e77-91ea-2115aab7c5c8%40googlegroups.com.

Mac Doktor

Mar 26, 2020, 7:37:49 PM3/26/20
to neonixie-l
On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:22 AM, Richard Scales <ric...@scalesweb.co.uk> wrote:

The only thing I would say is that the pins on SP-101's are really thin, they are lost in a 1.0mm pin socket. They are also lost in 0.75mm pin socket. I just measured the diameter of one of the pins and it was about 0.46mm which is super skinney.

On Mar 26, 2020, at 5:39 PM, 'John Rehwinkel' via neonixie-l <neoni...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Those pins have an internal diameter of .03" which is .762mm. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

“The book said something astonishing, a very big thought.
It said that the stars were suns, only very far away.
The Sun was a star, but close up.”—Carl Sagan, Cosmos, 1980

gregebert

Mar 26, 2020, 8:25:08 PM3/26/20
to neonixie-l
Are you OK soldering them ? As long as you have a good-quality PCB manufacturer, the PCB will tolerate rework (install-remove-install).
I had to deal with that with my watch; soldered-down an SP-151, then found I had to unsolder, remove, and re-install. Wasn't too bad.

martin martin

Mar 26, 2020, 10:30:34 PM3/26/20
to neonixie-l
Here's one I found in a box if Nixie's.  Free! (just postage). Sanitized too...

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Are you OK soldering them ? As long as you have a good-quality PCB manufacturer, the PCB will tolerate rework (install-remove-install).
I had to deal with that with my watch; soldered-down an SP-151, then found I had to unsolder, remove, and re-install. Wasn't too bad.

IMG-0676.JPG
IMG-0677.JPG

Richard Scales

Mar 26, 2020, 11:53:01 PM3/26/20