TESTED 4 Nixie Tubes Burroughs B-7971 3½" tall 14-segment character

Nicholas Stock

Mar 26, 2019, 10:25:52 AM3/26/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Things are going a little crazy??? 4 B7971’s just sold for over $250 each....there’s another auction for two tubes with prices over 180 each currently......

Sent from my iPhone

Dekatron42

Mar 26, 2019, 10:33:05 AM3/26/19
to neonixie-l
That is crazy!

But so is life!

I’ve recently seen a lot of crazy prices for auctions that I’ve been interested in and also a lot of bid retractions (guessing they have been placed to find out the highest bid, from this I learned to bid late or use sniping if possible - eBay is not your friend if you are a buyer in these cases, or in any case at all, they just want their profit) or maybe there is a rich kid out there or perhaps a newbie. :)

/Martin

Kevin A.

Mar 26, 2019, 11:44:36 AM3/26/19
to neonixie-l
I'm getting the impression that the same 3 people keep cooking their own auctions on 7971s. Remember the 10 that sold in pairs on the display boards late last year? Several auctions have popped up on what appear to be the same tubes. Moreover, the same low feedback accounts keep bidding up every auction in the first 2 days to well over $150 a tube. Appears to be eBay scumbaggery at its finest!

Shaun Merrigan

Mar 26, 2019, 12:30:31 PM3/26/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I think this is part of a general upward trend in EBay prices.  I know that test older gear (Tek, HP) has become very pricey over the past couple of years.

I have watched the prices of E1T tubes triple in three years. Some of this is due to a small, finite supply, but I attribute much of it to price comparison websites and vendors willing to sit on items for months or years.

Shaun M.

Sent from my iPad6

No Regret

Kevin A.

Mar 26, 2019, 1:26:51 PM3/26/19
to neonixie-l
While inflation and supply (or lack thereof) are reasons for price increases, a lot of it is a handful of sellers trying to fix the market (especially with regards to recent 7971 auctions). Take a look at the 2 tube auction currently underway. 0 feedback seller, same 6 feedback bidders as previous listings hiking the price by $300 with 8 days left in the auction. Painfully obvious BS.

Michail Wilson

Mar 26, 2019, 3:16:49 PM3/26/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

So, it looks like a very good time to post a bunch for sale.  J

Michail

gregebert

Mar 26, 2019, 9:54:52 PM3/26/19
to neonixie-l
Supply and demand...

Personally, I think 7971's are butt-ugly, but they are so gigantic it's hard to resist. I was going to bid on that pair because I need a replacement, but not at that price.

Nicholas Stock

Mar 26, 2019, 10:10:17 PM3/26/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I used to think they weren’t proper nixie tubes way back when i got into this hobby. You know, back when they were going for under $20 dollars each. What a muppet i was.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 26, 2019, at 18:54, gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Supply and demand...

Personally, I think 7971's are butt-ugly, but they are so gigantic it's hard to resist. I was going to bid on that pair because I need a replacement, but not at that price.

martin martin

Mar 26, 2019, 10:15:12 PM3/26/19
to neonixie-l
Now that's huge.  I have a box of Burroughs B-5750s. I know only 1/2' tall but clear clean Japanese made and last a long time.  I'll building one now.

jf...@my-deja.com

Mar 27, 2019, 12:58:51 AM3/27/19
to neonixie-l

On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 7:10:17 PM UTC-7, Pramanicin wrote:
I used to think they weren’t proper nixie tubes way back when i got into this hobby. You know, back when they were going for under $20 dollars each. What a muppet i was.

Burroughs called them "Alphanumeric Nixie Tubes" in the data sheet.

I got mine from John Meshna in Lynn MA for $1 each, including sockets,  back in the mid -1970s.  I think they were $5 for a pair with sockets and  the board full of HV driver transistors.  Plus shipping, of course.

gregebert

Mar 27, 2019, 11:48:10 AM3/27/19
to neonixie-l
I recall Poly-Paks selling 7971 units back in the mid 1970's; one of those barrel deals where I guess they literally had barrels of these things. I cant tell you how many times I've kicked myself in the face for not buying any of them. I'm guessing most of these came from brokerage houses that were updating their info boards for commodity trading.

The day *will* come when large LED displays will become equally valuable....

Let's face it, we're all a bit nuts when it come to vintage electronics..........................Yesterday's garbage is tomorrow's gold.

Jeff Walton

Mar 27, 2019, 12:25:11 PM3/27/19
to neonixie-l
I had some 7971's from the late 60's from Poly Packs, back when the "ebay" of the day was the back pages of camera and electronics magazines. Yep, I wish that I had bought a bunch.  Who knew?

In the case of the auction that was originally mentioned on eBay, I agree with a previous comment that there is some monkey-business going on with the seller and his supposed "bidders".  I suppose that his idea is that if you make it look like something is in high demand at a high price, then it becomes a valuable reality.  I do think that a great deal of the real nixie market actually lives on this forum and I give people credit for being smarter than that.  The 7971 tubes have a going rate of $75 to $110 based on the last several years.  There are a few outliers on each side of the price range but most are right in there.  The current listing of $380 for two B7971's is from a couple "low count" and a zero history seller.  They are either a scam or they are incredibly naive about how to throw away money.  At that price, I have some to sell.

The other interesting nixie is the Z586/Z5860.  These are the nixies that Dalibor Farny has revived and we are seeing a few people trying to get $80 for defective tubes or $300+ for NOS.  These were in the $150 -$200 range just a year ago and I don't think that they have suddenly gone short supply.  I do think that the supply is limited but I also believe that there are a few vendors trying to drive up the price.

It's not surprising that everyone has started to rediscover how cool nixie displays really are.  There is no such thing as "too much" of the soft orange glow of a glass display tube!

Jeff Walton

Mar 27, 2019, 12:36:13 PM3/27/19
to neonixie-l
Note that the auction from the newest seller is using the same photos and has the same bidders in common...

Kevin A.

Mar 27, 2019, 1:00:14 PM3/27/19
to neonixie-l
Exactly. This is blatant price fixing. If only someone started making new 7971s like Dalibor and started selling them at a reasonable enough price...

Dan Hollis

Mar 27, 2019, 1:18:14 PM3/27/19
to neonixie-l
TBH i'd rather dalibor do rodan clones :)

-Dan

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019, Kevin A. wrote:

> Exactly. This is blatant price fixing. If only someone started making new
> 7971s like Dalibor and started selling them at a reasonable enough price...
>
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019, 12:36 PM Jeff Walton <jwalt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Note that the auction from the newest seller is using the same photos and
>> has the same bidders in common...
>>
>> On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 9:25:52 AM UTC-5, Pramanicin wrote:
>>>
>>> Things are going a little crazy??? 4 B7971’s just sold for over $250
>>> each....there’s another auction for two tubes with prices over 180 each
>>> currently......
>>>

>>> Look at this on eBay
>>> TESTED 4 Nixie Tubes Burroughs B-7971 3½" tall 14-segment character
>>> <https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173842091160>
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/16c1087a-6ad7-4066-aa03-95340e004c4d%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/16c1087a-6ad7-4066-aa03-95340e004c4d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Mac Doktor

Mar 27, 2019, 5:51:33 PM3/27/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
> On Mar 26, 2019, at 10:10 PM, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I used to think they weren’t proper nixie tubes way back when i got into this hobby. You know, back when they were going for under $20 dollars each. What a muppet i was.

A friend of mine gave me one (with the socket) years ago. I just got it out and did a quick and dirty test with a ZeroStat "pistol". All the cathodes appear to be good.

The ZeroStat was designed for neutralizing the static charge on LPs that was generated by pulling them out of the sleeve. Imported LPs from France and the UK didn't have the vinyl formulation that bled the charge off like US pressings. Three zaps and all the high pitched "whistles" disappeared.

It's basically a piezo crystal just like a barbecue grill ignitor. I don't play LPs anymore but it's great for checking neon and argon devices.

> On Mar 27, 2019, at 12:58 AM, 'jf...@my-deja.com' via neonixie-l <neoni...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I got mine from John Meshna in Lynn MA for $1 each, including sockets, back in the mid -1970s. I think they were $5 for a pair with sockets and the board full of HV driver transistors. Plus shipping, of course.

Man that brings back memories. I don't think I ever bought anything from them but I received catalogs for years.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

Terry Kennedy

Mar 27, 2019, 6:14:31 PM3/27/19
to neonixie-l
Can you send me the details of photo re-use? I don't see it in some quick searches.

Looking at https://www.ebay.com/itm/312541584677 (currently-running auction for 2 tubes in Sandwich, IL), the opening bid was for $75 from a well-established user. There was then a bidding war between two 6-feedback accounts that ran it up to the current $380. However, those two bidders appear to be on the up-and-up. Please click on these 2 eBay links:

The first bidder won 2, lost 9 auctions. 7% of bids were with the seller of this item.
The second bidder won 2, lost 2 auctions. 20% of bids were with the seller of this item (not entirely unreasonable, given they've only bid on 4 prior auctions).

[This is not any "secret information", it is something any eBay user can do.]

If there is evidence of any sockpuppet bidding or other impropriety (including image theft), let me know and I'll see that it gets to the right people to do something about it.

Nick

Mar 27, 2019, 6:19:09 PM3/27/19
to neonixie-l
The ZeroStat was, aledgedly, also good for killing annoying CB radios.

Supposedly (and I obviously have no knowledge of this) you zapped near the aerial and the RF input stage died.

Shocking, I know... Who would do such a thing ?

Nick

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 12:39:11 AM3/28/19
to neonixie-l
Sorry to ruin it for you guys... It's not a scam of some kind. I bought the tubes on Monday night. I've been fighting with the other bidder over a bunch of auctions. It was my birthday Monday night and I wasn't going to let him win that one even though it cost me as much as my new Rigol mso5000 oscilliscope. I way over paid but I just might do it to him again on the other two. I also found another secret source for cheaper b7971's but they're getting scarcer and scarcer and it's hit or miss too. I bought 2 more last night for 150$. Month ago I got 6 for 400$ total and 2 for 250$ total from two different people. I'm working on a new smartsocket array and just bought a new mod-six from Michael... Hopefully shipping this week! I also have a v8-08 mod-six that's older. I think 7971's are going to become the next 568's. I love the Nixie glow but being able to make something besides numbers is priceless to me. Maybe it's the computer scientist in me... Idk? I love that b8971 clock too. There are some b5971s on eBay now... Anyone built a mini one? I've seen board Gerbers on the net for them.

Best Regards,

Bill

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 12:46:58 AM3/28/19
to neonixie-l
Speaking of Dalibor... Check the size of this from his blog!!! Skip the Rodan and do this:
https://www.daliborfarny.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018-09-27-134534.jpg

gregebert

Mar 28, 2019, 1:06:32 AM3/28/19
to neonixie-l
WARNING: This product may become addictive.

At least nixie tubes are a healthy addiction. I think everyone in this forum thrives on the new creations, misadventures, and shared knowledge.
I enjoyed the conspiracy theories, but in the end we're all happy you got your tubes. Just be sure to share photos, etc  of what you make from them.

I've lost track of how much I've spent on tubes + parts + PCBs for clocks over the past few years, but it would cover a nice vacation. Then again, a vacation only
lasts a week or two; a nixie gizmo will last many, many years.

Michail Wilson

Mar 28, 2019, 10:02:21 AM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

I'm glad you got the tubes you wanted; however, I am a little surprised that you didn't take me up on my offer of $1000 plus shipping for six tested tube when you contacted me directly.

As for the 5971's, thanks for mentioning that they were on ebay. I've been searching for quite some time and it turns out my search was for 'B-5971' and that doesn't work for '5971 nixie'.

Michail

Mar 28, 2019, 10:08:12 AM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Those 5971’s are a bit steep.....

Sent from my iPhone
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/011f01d4e56e%24dab3b280%24901b1780%24%40com.

John Rehwinkel

Mar 28, 2019, 10:35:19 AM3/28/19
to 'Spirit's lab' via neonixie-l
Jan Wüsten has B5971 for €16 apiece.

Nicholas Stock

Mar 28, 2019, 11:27:43 AM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
His website may not be up to date.....i tried to purchase some of those a long time ago....

Sent from my iPhone
To post to this group, send email to neoni...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/AB51F0A8-0C67-4BA6-869B-62E8A40D4A75%40mac.com.

Jeff Walton

Mar 28, 2019, 11:28:20 AM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The 5971's do seem pricey, but as we have learned, some buyers may be willing to greatly overpay.

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 5:34:24 PM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I should have taken you up on them.  We may still be able to wheel and deal.  I know you're pretty active in the forum and trust worthy.  I got the tubes from Oregon today.  They're good.  I got one of the Chinese one 7971 tube clocks today... Interested to try it out.  It's got a few options.

Regards,

Bill
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.

Bill Notfaded

Mar 29, 2019, 1:12:13 PM3/29/19
to neonixie-l
Does anyone have a picture of the assembled boards for the B-5971?  I'd be curious to see what this looks like put together.  I'm guessing someone did it since they made the smartsockets.

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 7:08:12 AM UTC-7, Pramanicin wrote:
Those 5971’s are a bit steep.....

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 07:02, Michail Wilson <M...@michail.com> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> I'm glad you got the tubes you wanted; however, I am a little surprised that you didn't take me up on my offer of $1000 plus shipping for six tested tube when you contacted me directly.
>
> As for the 5971's, thanks for mentioning that they were on ebay.  I've been searching for quite some time and it turns out my search was for 'B-5971' and that doesn't work for '5971 nixie'.
>
> Michail

B_5971_Nixe_Tube_SmartSocket_TypeB_1of3-zYWsKga3l.png
B_5971_Nixe_Tube_SmartLink_2of3-hRL2keUO6.png
B_5971_Nixie_Tube_SmartSocket_TypeA_1of3-OPJDxP7pH.png

Bill Notfaded

Mar 29, 2019, 1:17:10 PM3/29/19
to neonixie-l
These pics looks much better...

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png

Thomas Kummer

Apr 1, 2019, 4:07:06 PM4/1/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I impulsively bought (6) 5971’s I have no idea how to use the smart socket. Does anyone know of a 5971 kit? If not I’ll try to learn to use the smart socket.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 29, 2019, at 13:17, Bill Notfaded <notf...@gmail.com> wrote:

These pics looks much better...

<1.png>
<2.png>
<3.png>
<4.png>
<5.png>
<6.png>

Kevin A.

Apr 1, 2019, 4:55:25 PM4/1/19
to neonixie-l
Having searched extensively, I dont believe any implementation of 5971 circuits have been published online. Looks like someone has to make one!

Kevin A.

Apr 1, 2019, 5:08:14 PM4/1/19
to neonixie-l
Here is the only video I've been able to find of a 5971 being driven, and judging by the video description it's a hodgepodge of driver ICs and microcontrollers. Not a proper "smartsocket" or driver board like we are more familiar with.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 1, 2019, 11:54:06 PM4/1/19
to neonixie-l
I kinda wanted to buy some of those too because they're new in the box. The boards look legit but they aren't really like the smart sockets we know I don't think. Still they look workable.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 1, 2019, 11:57:02 PM4/1/19
to neonixie-l
Thanks for that video Kevin I've been looking high and low for anything for the small Burroughs and those boards is all I've found so far... I'm thinking maybe a post in the Yahoo smartsockets group might hit pay dirt. There's still semi recent posts in there.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 1, 2019, 11:59:15 PM4/1/19
to neonixie-l
Two of those sentences were all wrong grammatically... you'll have to bear with me when I'm swyping on a phone.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 2, 2019, 12:13:11 AM4/2/19
to neonixie-l
I thought o posted this but maybe not. I got one of Jin Jin's single digit B-7971 clocks. It has fade digit effects, multiple fonts, date, temp, and RGB LED with effects. I need to get a battery for it because they ship from China without any. He has a two digit Z568M clock... Now if he'd just make a six digit one I'd put 6 Dalibor bulbs in one for fun. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a bunch of his bulbs... Makes 1000% more sense than paying 250$+ for original R568M's. I'll eventually probably get one of the clocks too... Love the original

IMG_20190401_203719.jpg

Jeff Walton

Apr 15, 2019, 12:22:42 AM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Latest auction for B7971's went for $125ea.  That seems to a reasonable price and auction based on the last five years.

Paying $250-$300 each really screws up the market for hobbyists. There still seems to be a supply of 7971's out there...

Jeff

Things are going a little crazy??? 4 B7971’s just sold for over $250 each....there’s another auction for two tubes with prices over 180 each currently......

Look at this on eBay

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Notfaded

Apr 15, 2019, 12:24:09 AM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I was going to bid on those too but missed it... Dang it!

Michail Wilson

Apr 15, 2019, 1:08:27 AM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Jeff,

Not really.  I am sure people looked at the guys new account and already have received 2 negatives.

Even if they were good, the risk is high.

Michail

Bill Notfaded

Apr 15, 2019, 1:14:17 AM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I'm probably better off missing that one... Now I gotta make sure PayPal pays me back for this jerk that cancelled after I won... I knew it was too good to be true hehe.

I'm looking forward to making some DR20x0 clocks.  I think the Texas Instrument TLC5916 Constant Current LED Sink Driver chip sounds like it might be good for stuff like them maybe?

Bill

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.

Michail Wilson

Apr 15, 2019, 1:29:34 AM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

The 5916 will work perfectly.

And, it’s better than the 595 shift register since the 5916 requires only 1 resister.

It’s what I have used on projects.

Michail