Odd but cool display

Terry S

Jun 10, 2019, 12:31:24 PM6/10/19
to neonixie-l
Message has been deleted

Terry S

Jun 10, 2019, 12:44:42 PM6/10/19
to neonixie-l
Yes I get that.... This group's charter includes all vintage display technologies.

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 11:38:57 AM UTC-5, martin martin wrote:
Those do not look like Nixie’s.  More like LEDs

martin martin

Jun 10, 2019, 12:46:48 PM6/10/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
True
Those old LEDs are often deep red and look very nice.

jb-electronics

Jun 10, 2019, 12:47:26 PM6/10/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

This is quite interesting. It seems that the display unit is quite small, though. Interesting find!

Cheers
Jens

gregebert

Jun 10, 2019, 1:38:49 PM6/10/19
to neonixie-l
I cant figure out why there is a duplicate column of LEDs on the far right side.

The IC is probably a custom BCD-to-segment driver specifically for discrete LEDs. There is only 1 resistor on the board, so the driver IC probably does the current-limiting.
I'm fairly certain the IC is not MOS/CMOS, so it's probably still OK (not damaged by ESD), and it should not be too difficult to reverse-engineer the connector pinout.

If the LEDs are wired in-series, you can estimate the required power-supply voltage by measuring the forward voltage of 1 LED (roughly 2V @ 10mA).

If they are parallel, I would assume 5V operation. The 120 ohm resistor would give 23mA thru an LED that has a 2.2V drop and a 5V supply. See how many LEDs are connected to it.

Nice find, and I hope you win the auction.

robin bussell

Jun 10, 2019, 1:50:00 PM6/10/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 10/06/2019 18:38, gregebert wrote:
> I cant figure out why there is a duplicate column of LEDs on the far
> right side.

If you check out the datasheet second page you'll see it's a dot matrix,
not seven seg.

Cheers,
Robin.

Terry S

Jun 10, 2019, 1:55:47 PM6/10/19
to neonixie-l
The far right column is part of the matrix as you would expect. It's the column adjacent that seems unusual.  I guess if the decoding is there for it, you could illuminate a + sign with that column.

David Pye

Jun 10, 2019, 1:55:58 PM6/10/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I wondered if they are little red cap covered filament bulbs rather than LEDs. But not possible for me to say for sure...

David

Terry S

Jun 10, 2019, 2:01:27 PM6/10/19
to neonixie-l
Ah -- I also see the "1", "4" and "7" characters take advantage of that column, for better formed/placed digits. Very cool.

Terry S

Jun 10, 2019, 7:53:25 PM6/10/19
to neonixie-l
The data sheet specifically says LED.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 18:50 robin bussell, <ro...@cqr-ltd.com> wrote:
On 10/06/2019 18:38, gregebert wrote:
> I cant figure out why there is a duplicate column of LEDs on the far
> right side.

If you check out the datasheet second page you'll see it's a dot matrix,
not seven seg.

Cheers,
       Robin.

Charles MacDonald

Jun 10, 2019, 8:02:20 PM6/10/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, Terry S
On 2019-06-10 7:53 p.m., Terry S wrote:
> The data sheet specifically says LED.

HP at one time made their own LED devices for Calculator and other
displays. Calculators like the HP-35 have HP made LED displays.

eventually - the available devices got better and cheaper and they exited.

--
Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca Just Beyond the Fringe

Benoit Bleau

Jun 10, 2019, 9:05:57 PM6/10/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, Terry S
While looking for the datasheet if the 5082-7500, I came across these critters which I also find interesting

Benoit.

Terry S

Jun 10, 2019, 9:08:24 PM6/10/19
to neonixie-l
I have a whole bunch of those -- for sale/trade.

On 2019-06-10 7:53 p.m., Terry S wrote:
> The data sheet specifically says LED.

HP at one time made their own LED devices for Calculator and other
displays.  Calculators like the HP-35 have HP made LED displays.

eventually - the available devices got better and cheaper and they exited.

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca              Just Beyond the Fringe
No Microsoft Products were used in sending this e-mail.

martin martin

Jun 10, 2019, 9:57:10 PM6/10/19
to neonixie-l
I have some of those HP smart displays.  They are now in an 1980s industrial controller clock!

John Rehwinkel

Jun 11, 2019, 10:27:02 AM6/11/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Ah -- I also see the "1", "4" and "7" characters take advantage of that column, for better formed/placed digits. Very cool.

Where do you see that?

- John

Terry S

Jun 11, 2019, 10:43:53 PM6/11/19
to neonixie-l
The data sheet in the auction.

Alex

Jun 14, 2019, 5:40:35 AM6/14/19
to neonixie-l
That extra right hand column for making nicer looking 1,4 and 7 digits is very novel, I like it. Typical HP!
I have a large collection of Smart DIP dot matrix displays that were in IVAC 572 infusion pumps I stripped for parts, had about 40 pumps over the years and each had 2 x 4 digit 5x7 LED displays in them. The best part, they were socketed :-) I was going to make either a model sized scrolling LED sign or some mini 4 letter word cubes with them, the red led pixel displays have an excellent contrast.

- Alex

Bill Notfaded

Jun 16, 2019, 6:07:25 PM6/16/19
to neonixie-l
They're about to sell Terry! If it wasn't you I'd buy 'em. Hopefully you score them.

Bill

Bill Notfaded

Jun 16, 2019, 8:37:47 PM6/16/19
to neonixie-l
I hope t***b(1561) was you Terry.

Terry S

Jun 17, 2019, 10:08:33 PM6/17/19
to neonixie-l
Alas, it was not, my esnipe came in too late and too low....

Bill Notfaded

Jun 17, 2019, 10:09:41 PM6/17/19
to neonixie-l
Awe that sucks I wanted you to get it badly!

Tyler Bourne

Jun 18, 2019, 11:06:22 AM6/18/19
to neonixie-l

I almost had it!  Got sniped in the last couple seconds.

gregebert

Jun 18, 2019, 11:23:49 AM6/18/19
to neonixie-l
Considering all of the interest this unique display has generated within this group, has someone other than me thought about making a modern-day clone ?
I'd prefer NE-2 bulbs, but LEDs are much more efficient and easier to drive.

The extra column of dots on the right-hand side really makes this an original work of art, and as far as I can remember I've never seen this exact type of display before.

As much as I want to do this project "right now" I have to stay focused on my current backlog.

John Rehwinkel

Jun 18, 2019, 12:04:08 PM6/18/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
> I'd prefer NE-2 bulbs, but LEDs are much more efficient and easier to drive.

LEDs aren’t really much more efficient, especially if you already have an appropriate source of voltage to drive the NE-2s.

- John

Terry S

Jun 18, 2019, 7:35:33 PM6/18/19
to neonixie-l
Very easy to do with a 22V10 or similar. or even just  an eprom.