IN-4 eagle template

Mateusz Dziuba

Oct 24, 2018, 12:39:49 PM10/24/18
to neonixie-l
Hi! My name is Mateusz and I am trying to build nixie clock on 6 IN-4 lamps.

I want to redesign front shield, but cannot find proper eagle template for IN-4 on internet.
I download adafruit libraries with russian_tubes.lbr, but it seems they just link IN-18 template to it. I managed to change pins order as it is for IN-4, but I am still thinking, the pins positions are not correct.

Do You have NIXIE IN-4 eagle template? How You manage to design clocks with IN-4?

Paul Andrews

Oct 29, 2018, 7:22:56 PM10/29/18
to neonixie-l
I uploaded a fix to my library (which is the one you mention below, but with other fixes too): https://github.com/judge2005/Eagle-and-KiCAD-Nixie-Libs/blob/master/nixies-us.lbr.

I haven't tried it, but you should be able to verify it.

John Smout

Oct 30, 2018, 3:12:49 PM10/30/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Firing up a NIMO tube on Youtube - Fran Blanche's Franlab:
https://youtu.be/xmWg7CtN0Ac

John S

Mateusz Dziuba

Nov 9, 2018, 7:16:35 AM11/9/18
to neonixie-l
Thanks! I didn't make a PCB yet, but when comparing with IN-4 in hand, it seems the angles and distances are correct.

John Smout

Nov 9, 2018, 9:40:27 AM11/9/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Also don’t forget that there is an online Valve and Socket Calculator for Eagle on Nick’s website:

John S

threeneurons

Nov 12, 2018, 4:32:11 PM11/12/18
to neonixie-l
The IN-4 & IN-18 can be used in the same socket. Physical pin spacing is the same (14-pins, on a 18mm diameter pin circle, 24.5 degrees apart). Pin-out assignments is different, between the two.

Pin #  IN-4  IN-18
==== ==== ====
. 1 . . . K4 . . N/C
. 2 . . . K6 . . K4
. 3 . . . K8 . . K5
. 4 . . .SCR* Anode
. 5 . . . K9 . . K6
. 6 . . . K7 . . K7
. 7 . . . N/C . K3
. 8 . . . K0 . . N/C
. 9 . . . K2 . . K8
.10. . . A2* . K2
.11. . . K3 . . K1
.12. . . K5 . . Anode
.13. . . A1*. . K0
.14. . . K1 . . N/C

*the IN-4 has two different configurations. One has two anodes (A1 & A2), and separating screen, allowing it to be operated as a bi-quinary nixie, in addition to a "traditional" nixie. The other configuration omits the screen and an anode. It only has one (A1), and can only be operated in the traditional mode.

I just plugged an IN-4 tube into a IN-18 socket, and it fits without issue. So this is NOT a guess, but CONFIRMED.

Though, I would suggest against the IN-4 for a nixie clock, as it does not contain mercury, and therefore has a short life. I found that out the hard way. My first nixie clock used two IN-4s paired with two ZM1032 (biquinary) nixies:

The 8051 uC drove all 4 as a multiplexed biquinary group. 2x4=8 anode drives, and 5-cathode pairs. 8x5. More complicated than it needed to be if I just used regular nixies. Biquinary only has an advantage when run by descrete circuitry. ICs made them obsolete.

Well the short life of the IN-4, caused the zero to disappear in less than a year. Mercury is a good thing in nixies (IN-8-2, IN-12, IN-14, IN-16, IN-17, & IN-18).