IN-17 Questions

Michael Bell

Apr 14, 2018, 3:00:32 PM4/14/18
to neonixie-l
Hello

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I can't seem to find anything online about it... The IN-17 datasheet says that before soldering it's suggested to "train" the nixie with a common current source to each cathode. What is this supposed to accomplish?

https://tubehobby.com/datasheets/in17.pdf

Thank you,
Michael

Дмитрий Шевченко

Apr 14, 2018, 4:05:18 PM4/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
You must be "loading" neon tube before use.
You need loading tube by current 1.5-2 ma for 2 minutes, because some
microgram mercury need to be vaporize from cathodes.

John Snow

Apr 15, 2018, 6:48:30 PM4/15/18
to neonixie-l
Just the IN-17, or do all IN tubes need this? I've only intentionally done it for barograph tubes.