Lot's of high priced B7971 from France...

Bill Notfaded

Apr 15, 2019, 10:11:33 AM4/15/19
to neonixie-l

Shaun Merrigan

Apr 15, 2019, 10:16:38 AM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I see 36 tubes which makes EUR 8280.  I wonder how long they have been in storage?

Shaun M.

Sent from my iPad6

No Regret

Nicholas Stock

Apr 15, 2019, 10:19:50 AM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
This seller is always on the high side. Recent sales at ‘stupid’ prices have emboldened some sellers. Not useful to hobbyists as Jeff alluded to. However, these are a finite resource and market forces apply. IN18’s are slowly creeping up in price as have pretty much most tubes....i’ve been following prices for over 17 years....better than the stock markets!!!

Sent from my iPhone

alb.001 alb.001

Apr 15, 2019, 10:39:33 AM4/15/19
to neonixie-l

I remember this seller from a few years ago on eBay  had a storage locker full of these.  He used to show them on what looked like his back porch back then.  He had thousands of them

Phil from Brampton

Jeff Walton

Apr 15, 2019, 11:44:26 AM4/15/19
to neonixie-l

7971's in Bulk Carriers.jpg

Normally, we see 7971's wrapped up in old newspapers or shipped in the Ultronics boards that have been sitting around for the last 50 years.  It is cool to see photos of the tubes in carriers that look more like what would have been expected for bulk shipments of new tubes.

Michail Wilson

Apr 15, 2019, 12:28:11 PM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Funny you should mention the newspapers.

I had 6x B7971 tubes in a closet I was cleaning out last week.  Those were in oversized tube boxes with newspaper wrappings.  The funny part is that they were all older than me.  My son (12th grade) brought them to government and history class just last Friday.

It was kind of fun to read the papers from 1971.   Seeing prices, etc.  ie. 4 New Tires with free installation for $24.95.  Exterior house paint for $0.99 a gallon.  1969 Chevy Nova for $2600 (classified ads).

Michail

image001.jpg

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Apr 15, 2019, 3:28:03 PM4/15/19
to neonixie-l
This seller is known for nixie tubes, and even special ones. I wonder where you get them.Mostly because of the packing, since B7971 usually were plugged from equipment, it looks like this seller had acces to ex-stock of spare parts.

There are alot of suppliers that actually carry nixie tubes, but usually extremely overprices, since they aim for comercial users. Most of these suppliers are "Aircraft Parts" or "Military Suppliers". I asked a few for prices, but they are extremely high. Maybe this seller from france had enough money to get a bigger value and count to get a better price. I wonder how many tubes are sitting in the hand of such suppliers.

Dekatron42

Apr 15, 2019, 3:34:15 PM4/15/19
to neonixie-l
He told me he had a warehouse full of tubes, Nixies and other rare tubes.

/Martin

Terry Kennedy

Apr 15, 2019, 5:00:51 PM4/15/19
to neonixie-l
On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 3:28:03 PM UTC-4, SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F. wrote:
This seller is known for nixie tubes, and even special ones. I wonder where you get them.Mostly because of the packing, since B7971 usually were plugged from equipment, it looks like this seller had acces to ex-stock of spare parts.

There's a picture floating around of a pile of these foam cartons (with tubes) in Jeff Thomas's garage. The foam carton seems to have been a method for Ultronic techs to carry spare tubes around, as a number of cartons show a fair amount of wear and tear. It may be that there was preventative maintenance which involved swapping out all of the tubes at intervals, since all of the tubes I've seen show varying amounts of wear and cathode erosion - I've never seen a true NOS one. Given the confusion a bad tube might cause (remember, this was not a scrolling display so the error might go undetected) and the amount of money these systems leased for, that's certainly possible.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 15, 2019, 6:29:15 PM4/15/19
to neonixie-l
What amazes me is the price then actually asking for shipping on top of that... It's almost an insult.

I've noticed a lot of others that are even worse on eBay trying to hide inflated prices in the shipping. Almost like they're trying to take advantage of newer bidders. I mean come on 20$+ to ship one tube??? Then to add insult to injury they want additional shipping for more than one tube. Idk about you but to me that's just NOT right.

jb-electronics

Apr 15, 2019, 6:31:10 PM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
How is that almost an insult? You are certainly free not to buy these
tubes :)

Jens

Bill Notfaded

Apr 15, 2019, 6:52:33 PM4/15/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I didn't mean this one was... I was more referring to others where the tubes are 25$ and the shipping is 20$.  Maybe I shouldn't conflate that issue with this offer.  That's why I put a carriage return between the statements.  Mainly just suggesting to others to look at the shipping cost.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 15, 2019, 6:56:31 PM4/15/19
to neonixie-l
At least when I usually paid that high of price for tubes they didn't ask for additional shipping is was included in the price that's all.

Jasper C.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:29:28 AM4/16/19
to neonixie-l
Ouch.  I guess there's no chance for those of us who are late to the hobby to ever pick some of these up at "affordable" prices?  (Affordable to me.  I'm sure there's always going to be someone out there who's comfortable with it.)

Kevin A.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:38:04 AM4/16/19
to neonixie-l
I doubt they will sell. If the asking price was low $200s or high $100s with a best offer option, he could probably sell for $140-$170 a tube and do so quickly.

He can take his $260 + shipping 7971s to the afterlife as far as I'm concerned.

Michail Wilson

Apr 16, 2019, 11:55:03 AM4/16/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Ahh, but in a couple of years, you might say the same thing to the guy that will post for $500 a tube and tell yourself…. I should have bought when it was only $260.   J

Michail

gregebert

Apr 16, 2019, 11:58:40 AM4/16/19
to neonixie-l
It's a harsh fact of finite-supply vs demand . Eventually, the price will get high enough that someone will come along start manufacturing these beasts, and others, I'm sure.

I just visited Dalibor's website, and he's produced more than 7200 tubes, and has managed to make a profit, though he's invested many thousands of unpaid hours of his personal time to get to this point. 7200 tubes is proof there's a lot of demand out there, much than I would have ever imagined, and that is driving-up prices.

Kevin A.

Apr 16, 2019, 12:17:01 PM4/16/19
to neonixie-l
Haha well he can post for $1,000,000 a tube; doesnt mean anyone is going to buy it.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the 7971 was made new by another dalibor type entrepreneur/enthusiast ;)

jb-electronics

Apr 16, 2019, 12:45:12 PM4/16/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I am sure if you had a stack of 36 of these new (!) tubes you would be giving them away for $50 a piece ;-)

Jens

Nicholas Stock

Apr 16, 2019, 1:21:07 PM4/16/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Funny, i just snagged one for $50 on eBay. Bargains are still out there folks!

Sent from my iPhone

David Pye

Apr 16, 2019, 1:43:30 PM4/16/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
It's an interesting economic case study.

While there clearly is demand for these tubes, hence the high price, I'm not sure that the economics of making a lot of them would hold up.

There are a few people that clearly want them very badly but I suspect even if you only made a hundred, the price would collapse....

David

Kevin A.

Apr 16, 2019, 2:05:35 PM4/16/19
to neonixie-l
Well Jens, maybe not $50, but if I wanted to sell them I would also try to be reasonable... the time value of money is also important right? $100 today is worth more than $100 1 year from today, inflation aside.

Also how do you know I dont have a stack ;)

gregebert

Apr 16, 2019, 2:07:19 PM4/16/19
to neonixie-l
I was expecting to see the Z568M prices plummet when Dalibor started selling; instead I just see fewer for sale and always at a higher price.

BTW, I was finally able to convince my wife I should investigate the RZ568M, so now I'm going to test the balance between my addiction and my wallet. I know that one is never enough.....here we go down the rabbit hole.

Nick

Apr 16, 2019, 2:35:42 PM4/16/19
to neonixie-l
On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 16:58:40 UTC+1, gregebert wrote:
It's a harsh fact of finite-supply vs demand . Eventually, the price will get high enough that someone will come along start manufacturing these beasts, and others, I'm sure.

I just visited Dalibor's website, and he's produced more than 7200 tubes, and has managed to make a profit, though he's invested many thousands of unpaid hours of his personal time to get to this point. 7200 tubes is proof there's a lot of demand out there, much than I would have ever imagined, and that is driving-up prices.

...but how many of those are in value-added items, i.e. his clocks?

More power to Dalibor! I have one of his clocks, and it's a thing of wonderment.

Nick

Michail Wilson

Apr 16, 2019, 3:56:23 PM4/16/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Nicholas Stock

Apr 16, 2019, 4:01:37 PM4/16/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Nope....that was the starting bid but there was a make an offer. So i did. Yes, it has the antenna....:-)

Sent from my iPhone

Michail Wilson

Apr 16, 2019, 4:03:18 PM4/16/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Good deal.  Congrats on that one.

I have 5 now.  Can’t seem to put them in a MOD-6 as I’m short one antenna.

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

Nicholas Stock

Apr 16, 2019, 4:04:05 PM4/16/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have plenty. Let me know if you want to swap one....happy to do so.

Sent from my iPhone

Kevin A.

Apr 16, 2019, 4:27:46 PM4/16/19
to neonixie-l
How did my saved searches not reveal this one...