identification request :unknown edge lite displays

Bogdan Paduraru

May 8, 2022, 2:07:46 PM5/8/22
to neonixie-l
Edge n6.jpg

edge 1.jpgEdge n1.jpgEdge n3.jpgEdge n5.jpg
hello gents

could you please help me identify below displays ? from the left ?
I did not find anything similar on the web and I have no idea from where they have been pulled:
They look rather very interesting compared to other types : they have right decimal point and some sort of right separator
Thank you

GCNige

May 8, 2022, 2:44:27 PM5/8/22
to neonixie-l
Similar displays are used in the Canon Canola 130S desktop calculator from the late 1960s, described at http://vintagecalculators.com/html/canon_canola_130s.html

Regards,
Nigel

Bogdan Paduraru

May 8, 2022, 3:21:12 PM5/8/22
to neonixie-l
Thank you very much Nigel !
It looks like they have been in that type of calculator as I have found only 7 of them , for sure the previous owner used 6 for some clock => I will do the same with mine very soon

Dave ZL3FJ

May 8, 2022, 6:39:37 PM5/8/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

KGM made a number of these types of edge lit displays- I first came across them in an old General Radio piece of equipment. Google for ‘KGM’ and ‘edge lit’

DaveB, NZ

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg

Richard Nicewonger

May 10, 2022, 1:04:43 PM5/10/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have a big old General Radio automatic capacitance bridge that uses these type of displays plus some that display special characters.
I’ve been looking for some circuits/plans to make a clock with these. When you finish your clock project could you post your design plans?
Thank you very much.

Rich

liam bartosiewicz

May 10, 2022, 3:07:00 PM5/10/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I made a clock using some IEE one-plane readouts a while back, I’d suggest using a bunch of high-power shift registers like TPIC6B595s. Both displays use small incandescent bulbs, so I figure this would work for edge-lit displays as well.

On May 10, 2022, at 10:04 AM, Richard Nicewonger <nice...@optonline.net> wrote:

Hello,