IN1 tubes with no bases...

Nicholas Stock

Mar 13, 2018, 5:57:42 PM3/13/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Saw these, quite unusual as I've never seen IN1's without their rather ugly brown bases....

(Pharma) Nick

jb-electronics

Mar 13, 2018, 7:06:11 PM3/13/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Interesring! Jonathan has one on his website, too: http://swissnixie.com/index.php?tubeID=IN1BLANK

Cheers
Jens

John Smout

Mar 14, 2018, 10:08:47 AM3/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The auction says he took the IN1s off the bases himself. I wonder how easy it is to do?

John S

Nicholas Stock

Mar 14, 2018, 10:18:44 AM3/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That'll teach me to read....thanks for that John!

Hmm, I wonder how easy that would be too....I have a few of these beasties..

On 13 Mar 2018, at 21:57, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

Saw these, quite unusual as I've never seen IN1's without their rather ugly brown bases....

(Pharma) Nick

John Smout

Mar 14, 2018, 3:28:51 PM3/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 14 Mar 2018, at 14:18, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

That'll teach me to read....thanks for that John!

Hmm, I wonder how easy that would be too....I have a few of these beasties..

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 7:08 AM, John Smout <j...@jsdesign.co.uk> wrote:
The auction says he took the IN1s off the bases himself. I wonder how easy it is to do?

John S

Hot air gun? Maybe it plops right off.

John S

gregebert

Mar 14, 2018, 3:53:20 PM3/14/18
to neonixie-l
It's quite a bit of work to pop IN-1's apart. There's a crusty adhesive in the base, and heating / sawing / grinding the base gives off some really obnoxious (and probably toxic) fumes. Smells like bakelite to me.

If any of you are pulling these apart to save money on sockets, please consider your personal health and make your own sockets. I've had excellent results with 0.093" female socket pins for IN-1's and A101's, and you can easily make a 3D-printed-base to hold the assembly.

Terry S

Mar 14, 2018, 3:55:00 PM3/14/18
to neonixie-l
Looking at an IN-1, it looks like a quick snip of the ends of the pins would free up the leads. Not sure about how much work it would be to remove the base.

I didn't realize just how dis-liked the brown base is. I guess it is a bit ugly. But the tube has a nice sized digit and sadly, the bad "5".

Terry

Terry S

Mar 16, 2018, 3:31:37 PM3/16/18
to neonixie-l
I wonder if soaking the base might free up the cement. In water or a mild solvent... Shouldn't hurt the wire entry into the envelope, and maybe one could keep that dry using careful positioning.

Funny how the ugly duckling/sad stepchild tube becomes a little prettier without her brown dress.

Terry

Terry Kennedy

Mar 16, 2018, 7:02:33 PM3/16/18
to neonixie-l
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:31:37 PM UTC-4, Terry S wrote:
I wonder if soaking the base might free up the cement. In water or a mild solvent... Shouldn't hurt the wire entry into the envelope, and maybe one could keep that dry using careful positioning.

Funny how the ugly duckling/sad stepchild tube becomes a little prettier without her brown dress.

But still, as a non-mercury-containing tube, the lifespan isn't very long, correct?

Terry S

Mar 16, 2018, 8:24:06 PM3/16/18
to neonixie-l
Possibly, but as inexpensive as they are -- stock up a whole slew of spares.

Alic

Apr 7, 2018, 8:10:49 AM4/7/18
to neonixie-l
I wonder if it would fit any known socket without the brown base? Maybe the IN-18/IN-4 RSH31?

Terry S

Apr 7, 2018, 9:38:14 AM4/7/18
to neonixie-l
Well it has wire leads, so no. But could be soldered directly into a PCB.