Burroughs 70910

Jeffry P

Oct 3, 2021, 7:54:18 PM10/3/21
to neonixie-l
b70910 3.jpgb70910 box.jpg

Jeffry P

Oct 3, 2021, 7:57:15 PM10/3/21
to neonixie-l
b70910 top.jpg

Audrey

Oct 3, 2021, 8:05:57 PM10/3/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Wow that is beautiful

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021, 7:57 PM Jeffry P <jeffry...@gmail.com> wrote:
b70910 top.jpg

jb-electronics

Oct 3, 2021, 9:05:27 PM10/3/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Cool, does the tube have any prints on it? Otherwise it looks like a standard B-7094 to me, anybody?

Jens

On 2021-10-03 7:54 p.m., Jeffry P wrote:
b70910 3.jpgb70910 box.jpg

Dieter Waechter

Oct 4, 2021, 6:56:14 AM10/4/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a B-7094 with different pinout - Jeffry can you check?

Am 04.10.2021 um 03:05 schrieb jb-electronics:
> Cool, does the tube have any prints on it? Otherwise it looks like a
> standard B-7094 to me, anybody?
>
> Jens
>
> On 2021-10-03 7:54 p.m., Jeffry P wrote:
>> b70910 3.jpgb70910 box.jpg
>> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/c50ebceb-43e7-d1e6-5322-bbb72fdda1ca%40jb-electronics.de
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/c50ebceb-43e7-d1e6-5322-bbb72fdda1ca%40jb-electronics.de?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Dekatron42

Oct 4, 2021, 10:07:37 AM10/4/21
to neonixie-l
What does it say on the side of the box?

The box is from a Beam Switching Tube, probably a 6700 so the text might be from that type of tube.

/Martin

Jeffry Portell

Oct 5, 2021, 1:51:01 PM10/5/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Mac Doktor

Oct 5, 2021, 6:16:32 PM10/5/21
to neonixie-l
The "Burroughs 70910" topic has me excited because of this picture...

Short version:

I need the word "Base" set in the Burroughs typeface. The problem is that the words "Burroughs Corporation" don't contain the lowercase letter "e". I've searched everywhere online for text containing the "e" and until now I've come up empty. This box has exactly the sort of text I need except for one thing: it's too bold.

Does anyone else have printed material from Burroughs containing an "e"? And hopefully a lighter weight? Not that I'd turn down anything in bold—I'll take everything I can get.

I need a hi-res scan in a lossless format such as TIFF so that I can trace the letters in Illustrator. The original needs to be as large and clear as possible. Most of the scans of documents and boxes that I already have are too small and/or the ink bled too far into the paper.

More info:

Part of corporate branding is selecting a typeface that will be used for letterheads, documents, packaging etc. Burroughs used a version of the typeface Clarendon. I've been to all of the font search sites and while there are lots of Clarendons available none of them have the unique flavor of the Burroughs version. While I'm well versed in font editing, management etc. I don't have the artistic chops to properly alter letters.

Burroughs used multiple variants of the Clarendon over the years: different weights, different serifs and so on. I need all four letters in exactly the same font.

I love the lowercase "s" because it's almost perfectly symmetrical vertically. Help me Nixie collectors, you're my only hope.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

Edward R. Murrow: “Who owns the patent on this vaccine?”
Dr. Jonas Salk: “Well, the people, I would say. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?”—See It Now, 12 April 1955

Dekatron42

Oct 6, 2021, 2:54:01 AM10/6/21
to neonixie-l
Thanks for the extra photos, seems like they had a lot of those boxes for the Beam Switching tubes and re-used one here!

/Martin

Dekatron42

Oct 6, 2021, 2:55:46 AM10/6/21
to neonixie-l
@Terry Bowman: Please send me a direct email and explain in more detail what you are looking for so I can have a look at my Burroughs material to see if I can find what you are looking for.

/Martin

Robert G. Schaffrath

Oct 6, 2021, 10:57:13 AM10/6/21
to neonixie-l
I checked some of the old Burroughs documentation and I cannot find an "e" either. They only seemed to use the alternate font to spell "Burroughs Corporation". I have a PDF scan of catalog 616 (available on the Internet and it has no other examples.

Then for fun, I made an image of the logo and uploaded it to several font identifiers. Nothing matched 100%. The lowercase "g" appears to be key to identifying the font. The tail at the top is unique amongst all the partial matches I was able to find. If you are able to match the "g", I think you will find the rest of the characters will line up.

Mac Doktor

Oct 18, 2021, 9:43:41 PM10/18/21
to neonixie-l
To everyone replying to this topic (including privately) thank you very much. Unfortunately, I haven't had any time to work on this for almost two weeks. Nothing but frustration. I did find some missing parts today after a long search...

On Oct 6, 2021, at 2:55 AM, Dekatron42 <martin....@gmail.com> wrote:

@Terry Bowman: Please send me a direct email and explain in more detail what you are looking for so I can have a look at my Burroughs material to see if I can find what you are looking for.

/Martin

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"Damn, damn, damn, DAMN!"—Professor Henry HIggins, My Fair Lady