Set of six GR10J on eBay!

Dekatron42

Aug 11, 2022, 6:42:33 PM8/11/22
to neonixie-l
A set of six GR10J on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm?itemId=134195749943&du=1

Not my listing….

Audrey

Aug 11, 2022, 6:43:44 PM8/11/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
To infinity and beyond...

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022, 6:42 PM Dekatron42 <martin....@gmail.com> wrote:
A set of six GR10J on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm?itemId=134195749943&du=1

Not my listing….

Nicholas Stock

Aug 11, 2022, 8:51:53 PM8/11/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
No Hg in those puppies IIRC.

Greg P

Aug 11, 2022, 8:54:36 PM8/11/22
to neonixie-l
I guess the seller received an offer he couldn't refuse.  Listing is pulled!

Nicholas Stock

Aug 11, 2022, 8:55:20 PM8/11/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Looks like someone told the seller what they were as they've been relisted with their correct description......

My guess is about $600 for the lot.

Nicholas Stock

Aug 11, 2022, 8:56:29 PM8/11/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l

Greg P

Aug 11, 2022, 8:58:09 PM8/11/22
to neonixie-l
Guess the link was bad in the first post.  Thanks for the correct one!

Audrey

Aug 11, 2022, 9:17:10 PM8/11/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
> No Hg

That's quite unfortunate for such nice tubes

Nicholas Stock

Aug 11, 2022, 9:36:12 PM8/11/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Datasheet does give an expected lifetime of 10,000 hrs, which is pretty good. Put a PIR on a clock with them and it'll last a long time...

Kevin A.

Aug 12, 2022, 12:53:33 AM8/12/22
to neonixie-l
I feel like PIRs are a must on most nix clocks. Why burn up tubes when no one is around to enjoy the glow? Seems like a total waste.

For older stuff that doesn't have PIR compatability built in, you can always get an external PIR controlled switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KAB4CRG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Paul Andrews

Aug 12, 2022, 9:44:09 AM8/12/22
to neonixie-l
Interesting they are ETL. Mine are Hivac. It took me a long time to get a set of 6. I didn't run this clock with these tubes in it for long, because of the lack of Hg.
6F36DF9E-1657-4BBF-891C-2BEF1F623E5B_1_105_c.jpeg

jf03...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2022, 1:02:06 PM8/12/22
to neonixie-l
On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 9:53:33 PM UTC-7 Kevin A. wrote:
I feel like PIRs are a must on most nix clocks. Why burn up tubes when no one is around to enjoy the glow? Seems like a total waste.

This may be detrimental in some cases.  For example, the B9771 spec sheet projects a lifetime of 50k hours, which is obviously a conservative estimate.  In my limited experience with 18 tubes in 3 clocks, the tubes have been used for over 350k hours (45+ years) with no failures; there has been some slight darkening of the glass (probably because the tubes were over driven compared to the spec sheet recommendations), but there are no signs of any imminent med for replacement.  The parts that have failed included power transformers, filter capacitors, LSI clock chips, and HV driver transistors on the anode side.  Based on this, it would not surprise me if the PIR device proved less reliable and needed replacement before the tubes would die a natural death.

Nick Andrews

Aug 12, 2022, 1:21:57 PM8/12/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Those look really sweet.

So did they stop using mercury because of the environmental psychosis, or was there an actual legitimate reason?

Dekatron42

Aug 12, 2022, 3:03:58 PM8/12/22
to neonixie-l
I believe they hadn't come as far as to add Mercury to the gas mix at this stage in time.

/Martin

Paul Andrews

Aug 18, 2022, 7:52:07 PM8/18/22
to neonixie-l