B-7971 - eBay (Not my auction)

Michail Wilson

Apr 25, 2021, 11:43:38 PM4/25/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Nice to see (or not) tubes going for $300 each lately.

A chance at 7 of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294131943326

Michail

gregebert

Apr 27, 2021, 12:15:30 AM4/27/21
to neonixie-l
Ouch!

ScreenHunter_30 Apr. 26 21.14.jpg

Kevin A.

Apr 27, 2021, 12:56:39 AM4/27/21
to neonixie-l
At this rate Dalibor ought to think about a new R|B7971 tube! After project H-tube hits the shelves of course ;)

tntmod54321

Apr 27, 2021, 1:30:34 AM4/27/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking a lot about how Dalibor should do that. With the prices they are going at he could likely make them for a cheaper/similar price, which would be good for supply and for his business.

J Forbes

Apr 27, 2021, 10:01:14 AM4/27/21
to neonixie-l
Dalibor makes functional art....the segment displays just are not pretty, in a way the normal Nixie tube is. So I could understand if he didn't pursue this.

tntmod54321

Apr 27, 2021, 10:07:39 AM4/27/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I disagree, I think in-23 and b-(5/7)971 have their own beauty with those amazing fonts, a great example of a unique segment display is the in-2/dg-10b

gregebert

Apr 27, 2021, 1:25:40 PM4/27/21
to neonixie-l
As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I decided to make a 7971 clock a few years ago because of the versatility of the tube, and it's enormous size. Other than that, I agree they are butt-ugly, though you can mitigate that somewhat with a nice case and some software to make the tubes do more than just tell the time of day.

I'm also impressed with their reliability; I've had one fail mechanically (shorted segments, and I dont have the mensch to whack it back to health the way Mikhail does..) and someone on this forum (sorry, cant remember who)  has a clock that's been running for 40+ years.

Whoever paid ~1600 USD for the batch of 7 tubes will likely take good care of them, put them to good use, and undoubtedly appreciate them so I guess that is what really matters.