What kind of display is this?

jb-electronics

May 12, 2022, 11:27:35 AM5/12/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I should probably know, but how does this generate the characters, and
where can I read them off?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354047743434

Cheers
Jens

Nicholas Stock

May 12, 2022, 11:31:51 AM5/12/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
It's a 'monoscope'....reads off letters on the end plate...

Adrian Godwin

May 12, 2022, 11:42:07 AM5/12/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
So it's a thermionic character-generator ROM ?

Toby Thain

May 12, 2022, 12:07:02 PM5/12/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 2022-05-12 11:41 a.m., Adrian Godwin wrote:
> So it's a thermionic character-generator ROM ?

TubeTimeUS, who for all I know is on this list, has blogged in detail
about these:

http://tubetime.us/index.php/2018/06/04/a-vacuum-tube-rom/

https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/status/1002324117226287104

I own a handful of these tubes so I'm keen to recapitulate their work.

--Toby

> On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 4:31 PM Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com
> <mailto:nick...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> It's a 'monoscope'....reads off letters on the end plate...
>
> http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/CK1414.pdf
> <http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/CK1414.pdf>
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 8:27 AM jb-electronics
> <webm...@jb-electronics.de <mailto:webm...@jb-electronics.de>>
> wrote:
>
> I should probably know, but how does this generate the
> characters, and
> where can I read them off?
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/354047743434
> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/354047743434>
>
> Cheers
> Jens

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAOX%2BRHLTaqHsX28ZSXAkuRiP6zdUmE84K-AAJXTc2VAtW%3D%2BBPg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAOX%2BRHLTaqHsX28ZSXAkuRiP6zdUmE84K-AAJXTc2VAtW%3D%2BBPg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CALiMYrugcb_0Ut0A9EeTuAB1BO1OP6-vfHwCFczDpG6P7iX97Q%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CALiMYrugcb_0Ut0A9EeTuAB1BO1OP6-vfHwCFczDpG6P7iX97Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mac Doktor

May 12, 2022, 12:46:29 PM5/12/22
to neonixie-l

On May 12, 2022, at 11:31 AM, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you for that link. I'd never heard the name Symbolray before.

On May 12, 2022, at 11:41 AM, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:

So it's a thermionic character-generator ROM ?

Think of it as an analog character-generator ROM.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."—Roy Batty, Blade Runner

liam bartosiewicz

May 12, 2022, 1:33:51 PM5/12/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Am I correct in saying that you cannot directly view the characters off the monoscope? It would be cool to be able to display a bunch of characters on a small crt like a NIMO tube.

Toby Thain

May 12, 2022, 1:42:32 PM5/12/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 2022-05-12 1:33 p.m., liam bartosiewicz wrote:
> Am I correct in saying that you cannot directly view the characters off
> the monoscope? It would be cool to be able to display a bunch of
> characters on a small crt like a NIMO tube.

Correct, you cannot. You need to drive the Monoscope like a CRT, with a
raster, then read off the output and drive something else with similar
raster deflections.

Actual terminals (e.g. Conrac) were built with this chargen, there are
fleeting references online.

For more details see what I already posted:

jb-electronics

May 12, 2022, 5:43:52 PM5/12/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, Toby Thain
This is so cool! Thanks for sharing, much appreciated!

Best wishes
Jens

Nick

May 30, 2022, 6:17:46 AM5/30/22
to neonixie-l
I also believe that they were used for text on RADAR displays.

There were a lot of variants of the CK1414 - the suffix specifies the mask in the tube - it's the mask that determines what characters the tube can generate.

I have two types here - CK1414-07 (Brimar) & CK1414F10C (Raytheon) - they generate different characters.

Some larger users had custom masks made for specific applications (e.g. RADAR screen symbols).

Nick

Instrument Resources of America

May 30, 2022, 10:39:41 AM5/30/22
to 'Nick' via neonixie-l

IIRC the FAA used a lot of these!!  Airport radars.   Ira.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/1fce9fe0-260d-4f5e-acca-2ae34f4d042cn%40googlegroups.com.