P12 Phosphor CRT

Grahame

Feb 9, 2020, 10:56:47 AM2/9/20
to neonixie-l

Here's Nick showing off a Scope Clock with an orange P12 phosphor CRT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8PIw20HkmH/

Jon D.

Feb 9, 2020, 11:07:15 AM2/9/20
to neonixie-l
Very nice !!

Jon J.

jb-electronics

Feb 9, 2020, 11:39:05 AM2/9/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful! There is just something about these phosphor CRTs...

Mac Doktor

Feb 9, 2020, 12:46:44 PM2/9/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

> On Feb 9, 2020, at 11:39 AM, jb-electronics <webm...@jb-electronics.de> wrote:
>
> Beautiful! There is just something about these phosphor CRTs...

I have a variety of these. CRTs I mean, not the clock*. The best one is the tube inside a video test pattern generator. The flying-spot scanner has very fast phosphor that's purple. Too small for this application, though. OTOH, it does have the test pattern with the Native American.

*I'd really like to have one of THESE clocks. Hint, hint.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor”

"Never install version point-zero of anything"

Ian Vine

Feb 9, 2020, 12:56:39 PM2/9/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That is good

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/eeedc5b6-f00a-41bf-8002-3f8aca20504f%40googlegroups.com
.

Jack Buechler

Feb 10, 2020, 2:37:58 AM2/10/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I note, rock solid numerals whilst the pendulum is swinging.

Good job.

On 09/02/2020, 19:56, "'Grahame' via neonixie-l" <neoni...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Here's Nick showing off a Scope Clock with an orange P12 phosphor CRT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8PIw20HkmH/

Oscilloclock

Feb 10, 2020, 4:29:45 AM2/10/20
to neonixie-l
Exquisite, Nick!!

- Aaron

Alex

Feb 10, 2020, 4:42:45 AM2/10/20
to neonixie-l
Which model of CRT tube is that, as it is a nice size?

For that matter, what commonly available tubes had P12 phosphors as it is a very pleasing colour (probably why it was used in later computer terminal dispplays I guess...)

I do like the sharpness of the numerals on that clock, very cool.

Paul Andrews

Feb 10, 2020, 7:58:33 AM2/10/20
to neonixie-l
I just got a B&K 1077B that has one of those purple phosphor tubes. I intend to use while repairing TVs, but now you have given me ideas!

Nicholas Stock

Feb 10, 2020, 10:34:54 AM2/10/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks. It’s a 5CP12 tube....has engineering sample sticker, so not sure how common a phosphor this was...

Here’s a picture of the other colours..

The P11 is quite a shocking purple!

Sent from my iPhone

Toby Thain

Feb 10, 2020, 10:53:37 AM2/10/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, Nicholas Stock
On 2020-02-10 10:34 AM, Nicholas Stock wrote:
> Hi Folks. It’s a 5CP12 tube....has engineering sample sticker, so not
> sure how common a phosphor this was...
>
> Here’s a picture of the other colours..
>

> The P11 is quite a shocking purple!

Nice pics. Just curious what circuitry you're using to generate the signal?

Thanks
--Toby

Grahame

Feb 10, 2020, 10:56:00 AM2/10/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
It's my scope clock

http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/scope3.html

Grahame

Nicholas Stock

Feb 10, 2020, 11:05:28 AM2/10/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Other tubes with P12 phosphor are 3JP12’s as far as I can tell. Some of the datasheets for others say they were available as P12, but I rarely find them for sale anywhere....

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 10, 2020, at 07:56, 'Grahame' via neonixie-l <neoni...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> It's my scope clock

Toby Thain

Feb 10, 2020, 11:07:50 AM2/10/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 2020-02-10 10:55 AM, 'Grahame' via neonixie-l wrote:
> It's my scope clock
>
> http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/scope3.html

That's fantastic! Thankyou for the link. Vector graphics is my main
project (as an electronics learner) so this is very inspirational.

--Toby

David Forbes

Feb 10, 2020, 12:01:41 PM2/10/20
to NeoNixie
I made a clock with a 3JP12 back in 2002 when I was doing that. It lasted a few weeks. That phosphor is rather delicate!

BTW I am working on getting back into the scope clock business, making a laser cutter for the cases and using a Teensy to do the X-Y signal generation. I've already written the code; its DACs are excellent for this job.

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020, 8:56 AM 'Grahame' via neonixie-l <neoni...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Here's Nick showing off a Scope Clock with an orange P12 phosphor CRT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8PIw20HkmH/

Nicholas Stock

Feb 10, 2020, 12:12:44 PM2/10/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Would seem an odd phosphor to use for radar displays then...maybe you had a bad tube?

Ian Vine

Feb 10, 2020, 1:26:39 PM2/10/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
OMG that purple tube is awesome. Anybody got any for sale ?

Cheers
Ian

Nicholas Stock

Feb 10, 2020, 2:23:47 PM2/10/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
P11 phosphors aren't too common either I've found.....if you find a stash please let me know! :)

David Forbes

Feb 10, 2020, 11:09:16 PM2/10/20
to NeoNixie
I have a carton of 3ACP11 tubes. Interested? I'll dig them out.

Nicholas Stock

Feb 10, 2020, 11:16:42 PM2/10/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l

Dave ZL3FJ

Feb 11, 2020, 2:51:46 AM2/11/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Keep in mind the B&K flying spot scanners use electromagnetic deflection CRTs.

DaveB, NZ

Mac Doktor

Feb 11, 2020, 12:32:08 PM2/11/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 10, 2020, at 12:01 PM, David Forbes <nixie...@gmail.com> wrote:

I made a clock with a 3JP12 back in 2002 when I was doing that. It lasted a few weeks. That phosphor is rather delicate!

BTW I am working on getting back into the scope clock business, making a laser cutter for the cases and using a Teensy to do the X-Y signal generation. I've already written the code; its DACs are excellent for this job.

Sounds excellent. Can't wait to see it.

Charles MacDonald

Feb 11, 2020, 7:28:40 PM2/11/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 2020-02-10 11:05 a.m., Nicholas Stock wrote:
> Other tubes with P12 phosphor are 3JP12’s as far as I can tell. Some of the datasheets for others say they were available as P12, but I rarely find them for sale anywhere....

the description from JEDEC says P12 was intended for radar. see attched)

some REGISTERED at P12 include 5CP12,5AJP12,7LP12,16AFP12, 7AGP12,
3ACP12A, 19Wp12, 3BMP12, 17QCP12, 12AWP12, 5EKP12, 19DXP12.

the larger sizes are consistent with Radar use.

Sylvania or Dumont in Particular advertised that they would build ANY
CRT with any available phosphor given a suitable sized order, so
presumably any scope tube could have existed as a P12 - (or P7) version.

--
Charles MacDonald VA3CPY Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca Just Beyond the Fringe

Nicholas Stock

Feb 11, 2020, 8:13:44 PM2/11/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Thanks Charles....I have a couple 7AGP19's, but not P12's....need some beefier deflection amps to drive those. Not seen any 5AJP12's...I do have some 3JP12's.

I found some 5ADP20's....was quite disappointed with the color of those to be honest.

Paul Andrews

Feb 11, 2020, 9:35:48 PM2/11/20
to neonixie-l
Please stop it. I don’t even have enough room for my current toys, nor time to work on all my projects. I don’t need more distractions!

David Forbes

Feb 11, 2020, 10:04:31 PM2/11/20
to NeoNixie
In case you're wondering, I first made a scope clock in 2001, using a 3BP1 tube and an analog Lissajous circle generator.
I eventually ran out of custom power transformers, and redid the design in 2008 with a new generation of circuitry.
I am working on an updated design using a Teensy to generate the circles in software, using its fast dual DAC.
This project has expanded in scope to the building of a laser cutter to make nice cases, and a new workshop to house the laser cutter. Whew!
I hope to have kits available in a few months.

Instrument Resources of America

Feb 11, 2020, 10:54:36 PM2/11/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That's exactly what I've stated in several previous emails, but I'm not
sure that they went through. YES!! P12 is an orange, medium-long, to
long, persistence phosphor, primarily intended for radar use, such as
Plan Position Indicators, PPI's. To this day don't know how the radar
men, on the ship that I was on, sat there in front of those PPI's for up
to eight hours at a time, without having their eyes bug out, or go
batty.    Ira.
IRACOSALES.vcf

Richard Scales

Feb 12, 2020, 12:57:46 AM2/12/20
to neonixie-l
+1 for stopping this temptation right now - I want it - I just know I cant have it, desist - step away from the discussion!
Perhaps a new group is required - one which I would not be allowed to join.

Robert G. Schaffrath

Feb 12, 2020, 12:20:19 PM2/12/20
to neonixie-l
I recall an article I read years ago about the old RADAR tubes and phosphors used. There was a RADAR scope tube that had a mix of two phosphors. One phosphor produced a short persistence bright blue light from the target and the other was the longer persistence P12 type orange phosphor that was excited by the blue phosphor hung around after the blue faded and was refreshed by another "ping" of blue light from the target. An orange filter was placed in front of the tube face to filter out the blue flash which would have been very distracting to the operator.

Instrument Resources of America

Feb 12, 2020, 12:54:37 PM2/12/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

The date today is the '12th',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is this an omen to buy P12 CRT's???????  Could be!!!      Ira.

IRACOSALES.vcf

Mac Doktor

Feb 12, 2020, 4:50:03 PM2/12/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 12, 2020, at 12:20 PM, Robert G. Schaffrath <robert.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

I recall an article I read years ago about the old RADAR tubes and phosphors used. There was a RADAR scope tube that had a mix of two phosphors. One phosphor produced a short persistence bright blue light from the target and the other was the longer persistence P12 type orange phosphor that was excited by the blue phosphor hung around after the blue faded and was refreshed by another "ping" of blue light from the target. An orange filter was placed in front of the tube face to filter out the blue flash which would have been very distracting to the operator.

While we're on the subject, I have a five beam CRT that I snagged on ebay a few years ago. The auction listed the part number as "JAN CGV 7YP2" but the number on the box is "JAN CDU 7YP2" and the date is "195"-something.

I'm told came from a Navy radar system and that it's the only one ever made with more than four beams. It would be interesting to hook that baby up to five different gadgets at the same time. 8D

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."—Roy Batty, Blade Runner

Nicholas Stock

Feb 12, 2020, 5:13:02 PM2/12/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
I bought a similar one that allegedly came from Los Alamos...5 gun. I think they made tubes with more guns than that even.

For those interested in CRT's, this is a cool little website..

Mac Doktor

Feb 12, 2020, 5:40:48 PM2/12/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 12, 2020, at 5:12 PM, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

I bought a similar one that allegedly came from Los Alamos...5 gun. I think they made tubes with more guns than that even.

I'll have a talk about this with my source. Rattle his chain a bit.

I also have an NOS PMT used in the first light-pen, the "SAGE gun" (IIRC). Just one small part of the taxpayers' money used to build the SAGE early-warning system.

Another hamfest bargain was a TEK 565 dual-beam scope with the cart. $15~25 around 7:00 AM. Oh wait, I actually remember telling that story before. Heh.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... beams...in the dark in the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in the rain." — Roy Batty, Blade Runner

Charles MacDonald

Feb 12, 2020, 7:51:01 PM2/12/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, Mac Doktor
On 2020-02-12 4:49 p.m., Mac Doktor wrote:

> While we're on the subject, I have a five beam CRT that I snagged on
> ebay a few years ago. The auction listed the part number as "JAN CGV
> 7YP2" but the number on the box is "JAN CDU 7YP2" and the date is
> "195"-something.

CDU is Dumont.

> I'm told came from a Navy radar system and that it's the only one ever
> made with more than four beams. It would be interesting to hook that
> baby up to five different gadgets at the same time. 8D

well Dumont registered that one as P1, 2, 7, or 11. and two years later
as a P4.

if you want to wire it up, there are quite a few pins to connect.
7YPx_colours.png
7YPx_base.png

Charles MacDonald

Feb 12, 2020, 7:52:44 PM2/12/20
On 2020-02-12 5:12 p.m., Nicholas Stock wrote:
> I bought a similar one that allegedly came from Los Alamos...5 gun. I
> think they made tubes with more guns than that even.

I know Sylvania made ones with two screens. change the final anode
voltage and the colour changes! believe that those were Military only
specials.

John Rehwinkel

Feb 12, 2020, 10:35:46 PM2/12/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
OMG that purple tube is awesome. Anybody got any for sale ?

The P11 phosphor is more blue in person.  If you want purple, P16 is a logical choice.

There are some 5ZP16 in the wild (magnetic deflection, though):

Apparently the same one:

There were some on eBay cheap a couple of weeks ago:

- John