EleksTubeIPS replacement firmware

Paul Andrews

Jan 26, 2024, 8:33:28 PMJan 26
to neonixie-l
I recently did a search to see if EleksMaker had updated the firmware for the EleksTubeIPS clock so that it could use the WiFi connectivity that the ESP32 has. Well, they hadn't, but now I have - though I'm not the first. Note that they released a v2 of this clock that does have WiFi connectivity, so this firmware is for the original v1 clocks. I went a bit crazy with it: It syncs with NTP, has a web-based GUI, you can upload new clock faces from the GUI, you can configure it to display a 5 day weather forecast etc.- details are here.

My software engineer heart particularly loves the esp web tools interface - you can flash the firmware and connect the clock to WiFi directly from the page above.

Anyhow, hope you like.

Nicholas Stock

Jan 26, 2024, 8:40:25 PMJan 26
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome Paul. I will definitely try this with mine.....

Many many thanks,

Nick

Nicholas Stock

Jan 26, 2024, 9:20:13 PMJan 26
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Paul, I uploaded it without issue on the PC (tried using my Mac, no dice using Chrome, it could connect but kept resetting the clock...). The interface is awesome as is the ability to change all the fonts etc.... bravo sir! Far better clock now....

Paul Andrews

Jan 26, 2024, 9:51:55 PMJan 26
to neonixie-l
Of course, it works for me using Chrome on a Mac. My version of Chrome is Version 120.0.6099.234 (Official Build) (arm64), and the device was /dev/cu.usbserial-120

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAOX%2BRHLgFWWdEiOBf-k8fxCRYSyzWvEQxUSzcMqQ0RgTT4uVTQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Benoit Tourret

Jan 27, 2024, 10:38:55 AMJan 27
to neonixie-l
I also like esp web tools, this is a great piece of art !!!
I am using the version used on Home Assistant, called EspHome. this is an esp32, 8266, rp2040 "os" used with simple yaml configuration files.
I use it with success for many sensors and displays in my home, and I try to use it on my new clock: B-7971/eight equipped with SmartSockets.
up to now I can display time / date and internal + external temperature. I wish I could display message from HomeAssistant...

Paul Andrews

Jan 27, 2024, 4:01:53 PMJan 27
to neonixie-l
Are you using mqtt in your clock? I use https://github.com/bertmelis/espMqttClient in one of my clocks to connect to my Bambu X1C 3D printer - it publishes updates on the printer status that I can display in my living room.

Benoit Tourret

Jan 28, 2024, 11:48:27 AMJan 28
to neonixie-l
I could use MQTT, but this is just integrated to Home Assistant.
I already use the light sensor of my Numitron clock (from Moses @ neonixie.com) to adjust the intensity of my nspanel display used as night clock placed on my nightstand.
I use the value of the topic "clock/neonixie/iv9clock-67ac/lux" to adjust it. so during the night, the display is just at 5% of brightness.

Allen

Feb 4, 2024, 9:09:59 PMFeb 4
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this!

I was able to upload it to my clock with no issues whatsoever.

Kudos!

Allen Wisbey, W1SBY

On Jan 26, 2024, at 8:51 PM, Paul Andrews <judg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Of course, it works for me using Chrome on a Mac. My version of Chrome is Version 120.0.6099.234 (Official Build) (arm64), and the device was /dev/cu.usbserial-120

leo oel

Feb 5, 2024, 3:45:04 AMFeb 5
to neonixie-l
Hello, I have this version of clock, will this firmware work for me?

 2024-02-05_10-38-00-693.jpg 024-02-05_10-38-00-643.jpg

понедельник, 5 февраля 2024 г. в 04:09:59 UTC+2, Allen:

Allen

Feb 5, 2024, 7:08:09 AMFeb 5
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That is the very have as well. It works great!

Allen Wisbey, W1SBY

On Feb 5, 2024, at 2:45 AM, leo oel <leolo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, I have this version of clock, will this firmware work for me?
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/2807d7fc-9711-4772-978f-d54b84697877n%40googlegroups.com.
<024-02-05_10-38-00-643.jpg>
<2024-02-05_10-38-00-693.jpg>
Message has been deleted

Paul Andrews

Feb 5, 2024, 7:43:55 AMFeb 5
to neonixie-l
OK. Good to know. There are a few clones of the original clock that use different pinouts. Take a look at src/GLOBAL_DEFINES.h for some examples.

Paul Andrews

Feb 9, 2024, 2:53:13 PMFeb 9
to neonixie-l
I've released v0.2 and binaries for the NoveLife SE(?) and Si Hai clones. This version includes a digital rain screen saver and an on-clock menu system for change between clock faces and weather icon sets.

Note if you've already installed an earlier version, installing this one will lose your settings and any additional clock faces you may have uploaded because of the added settings and web pages for the new stuff, soyou will have to re-apply them and re-upload any additional faces and icons.

Peter H

Feb 10, 2024, 1:13:53 AMFeb 10
to neonixie-l
Hi, really great work, very proffessional! , I'm so greatful, it`s working excellent. Only the screen saver menu cannot be opened, "Error loading page" but the matrix screen saver is working, cannot be changed but its already very nice.

A great advantage now is to use the clock buttons. The clock has sometime a wifi problem so it is good to be indipendent.
I have now also the new Gen2 clock, agreat device but it has not your great Web interface. Thank you, Peter

Paul Andrews

Feb 10, 2024, 7:20:58 AMFeb 10
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
sis you do the full install or the firmware only install? You need to do the full install.

On Feb 10, 2024, at 1:13 AM, Peter H <peter.hu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, really great work, very proffessional! , I'm so greatful, it`s working excellent. Only the screen saver menu cannot be opened, "Error loading page" but the matrix screen saver is working, cannot be changed but its already very nice.

Paul Andrews

Feb 10, 2024, 2:39:34 PMFeb 10
to neonixie-l

Tell me more about all this. I would like to provide access to a movement sensor, so I’ve ordered a aqara motion sensor and a sonoff zigbee dongle. I’m a little confused about the options from there on though. e.g. ESPHome, zigbee2mqtt, HA etc. It seems like just polling an mqtt broker would be easiest from the perspective of getting data from the sensor but I would like this to be as general as possible given the memory restrictions that I have in the clock. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Paul Andrews

Feb 20, 2024, 9:10:25 PMFeb 20
to neonixie-l
Last release for a while, barring the odd bug fix. Available at the usual place. This is the release notes:

  • Added a default clock face that includes colons, am, pm and empty background.
  • Added an additional time display mode that uses four digits, a flashing colon and a display of today's weather.
  • Changed the initial configuration to use this clock face and display the four-digit clock with weather.
  • The default weather icons have also changed to monochrome. These icons can be drawn against the blank background and the color can be adjusted to match the color of the clock face (via the Weather page).
  • Where the GUI allows you to adjust colors the controls indicate what will happen as you adjust the color
  • There is an additional color control that both displays the current color and provides an alternate way to modify it.
  • The GUI is responsive to the state of the clock - it will hide controls that aren't used for the current clock state.
  • The clock can now display BMP files that have 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or 24 bits per pixel. batch_convert_images.py has been modified to produce files with these various bit depths.
This is a piccie:

original.jpg

Richard Scales

Feb 21, 2024, 12:48:07 PMFeb 21
to neonixie-l
Many thanks for this - installation was a breeze, all looking lovely.
 - Richard

Paul Andrews

Feb 22, 2024, 11:36:06 AMFeb 22
to neonixie-l
Richard ran in to an issue with the latest firmware (it was continuously connecting to and disconnecting from wifi), so I'm curious if anyone else has tried it and what the results are. For him downgrading to the previous version worked. Naturally I have not experienced this issue myself, but am just wondering whether to pull it from my web site or not.

Nicholas Stock

Feb 27, 2024, 11:02:51 PMFeb 27
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul, I'm running the version prior to the latest and I've noticed on two occasions the displays have been blank, the clock portal is still responsive, but no display on the OLEDs....a restart fixes it.

Cheers.

Nick

Paul Andrews

Feb 28, 2024, 7:00:43 AMFeb 28
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick. I’ve fixed the problem Richard d was having, so it’s Ok to update to the latest version on the web site.

On Feb 27, 2024, at 11:02 PM, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAOX%2BRHJbkUTOhWs-JW%3D26V6dANsHA3wXtN0WytOvPoSdPzhBfw%40mail.gmail.com.

Alan Tan

Feb 28, 2024, 7:49:00 PMFeb 28
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
This would be perfect if it can display crypto prices with the ability to select a set of coins and currency :)

gregebert

Feb 28, 2024, 9:46:13 PMFeb 28
to neonixie-l
Crypto prices should be easy to display....isn't that just a random number  ??  ;-]

Mac Doktor

Feb 28, 2024, 9:55:18 PMFeb 28
to neonixie-l

On Feb 28, 2024, at 9:46 PM, gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Crypto prices should be easy to display....isn't that just a random number  ??  ;-]

I wish that Daibor had included a "K" in the temperature unit tube.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com

"Words fail me. What is a doctorate in homeopathic medicine? A blank piece of paper taped to your wall?"—PZ Myers

Nicholas Stock

Feb 28, 2024, 9:55:35 PMFeb 28
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Chuckle...

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 28, 2024, at 18:46, gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Crypto prices should be easy to display....isn't that just a random number  ??  ;-]

Paul Andrews

Feb 28, 2024, 11:06:53 PMFeb 28
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean Millclock? I wasn’t aware Dalibor made a temperature Nixie tube. In fact that the moment I don’t see any Nixie tubes for sale on his site. Just clocks.

Paul Andrews

Mar 7, 2024, 1:35:38 PMMar 7
to neonixie-l
Anyone interested in trying out a version that connects to MQTT/Home Assistant (so you can connect a moment and luminance sensor)?

Alan Tan

Apr 11, 2024, 5:10:21 AMApr 11
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Will this firmware work with the PR1 from Elekstube?

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/0aef5181-f01a-4380-90e9-995315758bfen%40googlegroups.com.

Paul Andrews

Apr 11, 2024, 9:43:25 AMApr 11
to neonixie-l
I don't think so. They locked the firmware after v1 so that it can no longer be updated.