Panaplex Update

Richard Scales

May 6, 2021, 1:04:00 AM5/6/21
to neonixie-l
Following developments of my 6 digit panaplex clock into 8, 9 and 4 digit formats - I've now created a 15 digit device using 5 x SP-353 displays.
Thanks to Nick for putting the idea in my head - I was a tiny bit sceptical but now that I'm starting to choreograph (with my programming skills?) the displays - I'm sold on the idea.

SP-353x15P1.jpgSP-353x15P2.jpg
As you can see - I'm struggling with 'M'!

I'll post more pictures at nixology.uk and panaplex.co.uk (which is very much work-in-progress)
I need to sort out the display of sensor data (BMP280). I'm rearranging things now that it is no longer restricted to 6 digits.
If anyone has any ideas for other meaningful data that I could display sensibly on 7 segments then I'm open to suggestions.
Show the time in words has just sprung into my head, Hmmmmm.
I see its 'Ju5t g0nE tEn to 51X'
- Richard

Michail Wilson

May 6, 2021, 5:02:53 AM5/6/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Pretty

Why only 15?  Heh.

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

Dekatron42

May 6, 2021, 8:51:31 AM5/6/21
to neonixie-l

There seems to be some companies who focussed on what the text would look like on a seven segment display more than if the character was represented in a good manner so that it was readable rather than looking like normal letters and there was also a mix of upper and lower case letters to form the words.

/Martin

Richard Scales

May 6, 2021, 9:41:51 AM5/6/21
to neonixie-l
@Dekatron42 - that is interesting - it looks like I may be deviating from the standard! I will look at that.

@M1 - if you absolutely positively want to go for more then I think a modular system based on the most effective use of the HV drivers might be possible though the idea of soldering all those 0805's and pin sockets leaves much to be desired ;-)

 - Richard

gregebert

May 6, 2021, 10:34:41 AM5/6/21
to neonixie-l
Burroughs made a 9-segment display that allows most text characters to be displayed, though some are a bit crude like Q, V, X, Z

Nicholas Stock

May 6, 2021, 11:50:25 AM5/6/21
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Looking good Richard!! I can see the issue with the M...your solution is probably the best given the obvious limitations....

Cheers,

Nick