Completed Eight-Digit ZM1350 Panaplex Display

Mahdi Al Husseini

Mar 24, 2020, 1:30:13 PM3/24/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all,

Just thought to share the finished product - an eight-digit ZM1350 panaplex display with IR RX capability. Quite a simple set-up circuit-wise, direct drive, very similar to that of the smart sockets seen in the past, but on a single board. Etched black anodized aluminum outside with a black acrylic buffer separating the aluminum from the circuit board. Works great. A couple of my ZM1350s have fading segments, but that is to be expected I suppose.

What proved more difficult (for me anyhow) was setting up the back-end to work seamlessly between the ESP32 and SSL protocols. It took some snooping around, but i've managed to make near immediate submissions to the ZM1350 display from my website at https://www.mahdial-husseini.com/ZM1350. Essentially, the POST form from my website logs the data in a SQL database. That database is queried (and appropriately parsed) at regular intervals by the ESP32 with the proper certificates, and compares timestamps. A working knowledge of html, CSS, JS, XML, C, PHP, and SQL all came in handy here!

A few folks purchased ESP8266 based B7971 7 tube displays from me in the past; I am working to set-up a similar system for you all to submit text to your displays online with your own unique SQL databases.

Hope you like, thanks! I'll comment my GitHub repo with all the code here shortly.

Al
COLUMBIA.jpg
0001.jpg
0002.jpg
COLUMBA_light.JPG

Mahdi Al Husseini

Mar 24, 2020, 1:31:19 PM3/24/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Correction* The POST form is fed into a PHP script that then logs the data into a SQL database*

Nicholas Stock

Mar 24, 2020, 2:10:39 PM3/24/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Very very nice Mahdi! Shame these tubes are so hard to find.... :(

Ian Vine

Mar 24, 2020, 2:33:14 PM3/24/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Mahdi Al Husseini

Mar 24, 2020, 7:13:40 PM3/24/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both! Yes, it's quite unfortunate indeed - I have been searching for a while. Pete at PVElectronics used to have a large stash, but that's all gone now

Kevin A.

Mar 29, 2020, 3:59:23 PM3/29/20
to neonixie-l
Awesome work Mahdi. Those are some huge boards to mount up all the tubes in one row. Must be nice to just sit there and admire the glow. Did you do your own high voltage power supply?

Mahdi Al Husseini

Mar 29, 2020, 5:39:32 PM3/29/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kevin! They did end up being quite long - but all in all, quite inexpensive to produce.

I did! I have two designs - a more traditional boost converter, and a switching supply. Both exist on boards of the same size, so they can be swapped in/out as needed. A while ago I realized that instead of building my power supplies on to the main board, I can produce smaller HVPS boards and mount them on. Has saved me a lot of $ and time.

Mahdi

martin martin

Mar 29, 2020, 6:13:56 PM3/29/20
to neonixie-l

Mahdi Al Husseini

Mar 29, 2020, 6:21:38 PM3/29/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Martin! Yes I have two remaining. Not kits though, since I had the whole board professionally assembled (each board has 120+ discrete transistors!). I’m willing to sell the set-up at cost since everything I’ve paid into it I consider sunk.

Everything finished to include the etched anodized aluminum, black acrylic, and standoffs would probably run around 300-350$ with shipping (tubes not included of course!). You don’t need eight to make the display work, it’ll take whatever you have, and you can set a soft limit in the code

If anyone’s interested, just let me know

Bill Notfaded

Mar 31, 2020, 4:27:43 PM3/31/20
to neonixie-l
I'd buy one if I thought I could get the tubes but some of these tubes have problems out there I've seen... it's great you found a lot of good ones.  I know some have had some success reviving them.  I almost bought a bunch of the last ones from PV Electronics but decided against it.  I've still got you on the B-8091's though!

Bill
Nice work dude

IanV

Mahdi Al Husseini

Mar 31, 2020, 9:36:28 PM3/31/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I’ve had similar experiences to be honest: of the sixteen I’ve purchased, three or four had significant problems, and three or four have smaller defects here and there.

Haha, you got it Bill, that’s still in the plans

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/723743c0-df29-4fa9-bf90-a6ab20c61f80%40googlegroups.com.