What is going on?

Nicholas Stock

Sep 7, 2021, 10:11:55 AM9/7/21
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
9 x NL900 tubes just sold for $609 on eBay. That is insane. They're literally NL840's with a flat top. $609.

Dekatron42

Sep 7, 2021, 11:53:17 AM9/7/21
to neonixie-l
Maybe someone won the lottery big time or they know something we don't?

Perhaps they come with the fountain of youth or the answer to the question "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"

It's crazy! I've actually been contemplating if I should sell of a bunch of my rarer Nixies, saw a pair of GR10G with one socket go for something like USD $250 the other day......

/Martin

Nick Andrews

Sep 7, 2021, 12:45:22 PM9/7/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
It's the new covid math.  Inflated perceptions and values for everything!  Seriously, we are estimating construction costs at +40% right now, especially in VA hospitals.  It's insane.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 9:12 AM Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:
9 x NL900 tubes just sold for $609 on eBay. That is insane. They're literally NL840's with a flat top. $609.

Audrey

Sep 7, 2021, 12:46:31 PM9/7/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I dont think covid is increasing rhe prices of that one tube so dramatically...

Jeff Walton

Sep 7, 2021, 12:48:47 PM9/7/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Are you surprised?  It's like anything else that isn't made any more.  Collectable stuff is out of the price range of most hobbiests and it isn't getting any better with time.  There are a couple people on this forum that have bid prices to insane levels on auction items and then brag about it...

Jeff

Nick Andrews

Sep 7, 2021, 12:51:52 PM9/7/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Haha, that was a joke referring to overblown hype.  But construction materials and labor are in short supply in the real world.

Trumpeter

Sep 7, 2021, 8:09:27 PM9/7/21
to neonixie-l
Hopefully they don't catch on to all the test equipment with nixies in them...nothing will be spared.

Audrey

Sep 7, 2021, 8:11:00 PM9/7/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. Especially nixie calculators. I absolutely hate to see those destroyed.

Nick Andrews

Sep 7, 2021, 8:16:03 PM9/7/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Not when they think they are worth $3-900 on ebay!

Mac Doktor

Sep 7, 2021, 11:24:03 PM9/7/21
to neonixie-l

On Sep 7, 2021, at 8:10 PM, Audrey <tntm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah. Especially nixie calculators. I absolutely hate to see those destroyed.

What I'd like to know is what they're pulling all of the used IN-14s out of.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

“...the book said something astonishing, a very big thought. The stars, it said, were suns but very far away. The Sun was a star but close up.”—Carl Sagan, "The Backbone Of Night", Cosmos, 1980

Bill Notfaded

Sep 8, 2021, 9:24:43 AM9/8/21
to neonixie-l
I did bid on these tubes but the price went way too high.  It's the asian buyer that want to build the "anime clock."  I think I'm going to start a new thread called "What have you been buying lately."  I search still for some deals out there.

Bill

Paul Andrews

Sep 8, 2021, 1:25:57 PM9/8/21
to neonixie-l
I been buying a Tesla :)

Richard Nicewonger

Sep 8, 2021, 1:35:48 PM9/8/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I absolutely agree and would like to extend that sentiment to Panaplex display calculators.

Dylan Distasio

Sep 8, 2021, 1:58:41 PM9/8/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I guess I should dig out my stock of those (although I think I only have 6-10) and get listing!  I like the flat tops, but am willing to part with them for that kind of money.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 10:11 AM Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:
9 x NL900 tubes just sold for $609 on eBay. That is insane. They're literally NL840's with a flat top. $609.

Yohan Park

Sep 17, 2021, 5:00:04 PM9/17/21
to neonixie-l
We're at the point where old tubes are getting more expensive than brand new (and WAY bigger) tubes.
It's getting into collector's territory, not love for Nixies.
If you're into it for the love Nixie tubes and neon, count yourself lucky we have people like Dalibor around.
If you're a collector, be prepared to pay a lots of money.

Audrey

Sep 17, 2021, 5:10:29 PM9/17/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I am a collector, it is obscene...

liam bartosiewicz

Sep 17, 2021, 5:28:02 PM9/17/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yup, it’s really quite unfortunate. I don’t understand why someone would buy a flat-topped NL-5440 for 5x the price of one with a tip.

Audrey

Sep 17, 2021, 5:29:43 PM9/17/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. I prefer the tip, it shows off more that it's yknow, a tube.