How to mount IN-9 tubes

John Murphy

Feb 19, 2018, 7:07:17 AM2/19/18
to neonixie-l

I'm building an audio spectrum analyzer using the MSGQ7 chip, an Arduino, and 14 IN-9 tubes (7 Left channel and 7 Right).  I've got everything working on the bench, but now it's time to get things mounted for display!  I'd like to have the tubes stand vertically next to each other.  I'm looking for suggestions on how to securely mount these tubes.  If possible, I would prefer to mount at the bottom only so that the top of the tubes are free and clear.

Joe Croft

Feb 19, 2018, 5:27:08 PM2/19/18
to neonixie-l
Hi John,

I can't give too much advice but I have learned that for both in-9 and in13 you want to make sure there is a bend in the leads so that the tubes can move around without putting stress on the glass of the tube.

-joe

On Feb 19, 2018 6:07 AM, "John Murphy" <ihatemyw...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm building an audio spectrum analyzer using the MSGQ7 chip, an Arduino, and 14 IN-9 tubes (7 Left channel and 7 Right).  I've got everything working on the bench, but now it's time to get things mounted for display!  I'd like to have the tubes stand vertically next to each other.  I'm looking for suggestions on how to securely mount these tubes.  If possible, I would prefer to mount at the bottom only so that the top of the tubes are free and clear.

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Feb 20, 2018, 11:29:59 AM2/20/18
to neonixie-l
I would possibly use a piece of rubber tube where you can place the tube in, just like a few kits place their colon tube

See https://www.nocrotec.com/shop/images/content/colon-02.jpg

Another possible solution would be to use a slotted-pc board and then glue in the whole tube base with kind of silicon glue (sticky but flexible).

Another version would be this:
https://threeneurons.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/ntherm01s.jpg

John Rehwinkel

Feb 20, 2018, 12:37:10 PM2/20/18
to 'Grahame' via neonixie-l
I'd probably have a flat board of some kind behind them and then use something like plastic wire clamps with foam lining to hold the tubes in place. Similar to how CRTs used to be mounted at the neck.

- John

alb.001 alb.001

Feb 20, 2018, 1:54:49 PM2/20/18
to neonixie-l

Use a black backer board   ( you can spray paint some pc board with black spray paint ) then use black thread - I use black silk suture thread to support them. Almost invisible and very strong but with some give if needed.

Phil

Terry Kennedy

Feb 20, 2018, 11:31:06 PM2/20/18
to neonixie-l
On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 7:07:17 AM UTC-5, John Murphy wrote:

I'm building an audio spectrum analyzer using the MSGQ7 chip, an Arduino, and 14 IN-9 tubes (7 Left channel and 7 Right).  I've got everything working on the bench, but now it's time to get things mounted for display!  I'd like to have the tubes stand vertically next to each other.  I'm looking for suggestions on how to securely mount these tubes.  If possible, I would prefer to mount at the bottom only so that the top of the tubes are free and clear.

I can make a pretty good guess as to how the Soviets would have done this (if they ever did) based on the Elektronika 7 clock (Reflector tube factory). A black background with the tubes supported on the top and bottom with flat clamps lined with foam. See the first attached picture (ignore the arrows, they are showing unrelated chassis mounting points). Then mount that assembly behind a glass panel with black paint masking out the rest of the "guts" as seen in the second attached photo. More information on my blog here: https://www.glaver.org/blog/?s=elektronika You will want to use a clear or pale plastic matching the tube spectrum instead of pale green since you're using neon/argon displays instead of VFDs.

John Murphy

May 9, 2018, 6:46:27 AM5/9/18
to neonixie-l
Thanks for the ideas.  Here's what I came up with - see photos.  I used 3/8 inch rubber grommets in a custom 3D printed box.  The fit is just tight enough to hold the tubes firmly in place.  The RJ-45 jack isn't Ethernet, just a convenient 8 conductor connector so I can use pre-made cables.

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 7:07:17 AM UTC-5, John Murphy wrote:
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0227.jpg

John Murphy

May 9, 2018, 6:53:06 AM5/9/18