RZ568M clock kits?

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 7:01:05 PM3/28/19
to neonixie-l
PV Electronics had one kit then discontinued it? I'm really surprised there aren't really any kits to build clocks with Dalibor's tubes. I'd like to build one using his tubes versus trying to buy old tubes for 250+ dollars. Am I the only one that's thinking about this? The B-7971 are a special case but I think six tube RZ568M clock with good features would be awesome and even help Dalibor so he can make some of those huge tubes I saw he's been experimenting with! I'd build one at least. Are they pin compatible with the originals? It looks close but I thought someone told me they aren't?

martin martin

Mar 28, 2019, 7:03:08 PM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I like the Dalibor clocks.  Nice tubes too. I think I want the single digit one with the spinning NE-2s

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 16:01 Bill Notfaded <notf...@gmail.com> wrote:
PV Electronics had one kit then discontinued it?  I'm really surprised there aren't really any kits to build clocks with Dalibor's tubes.  I'd like to build one using his tubes versus trying to buy old tubes for 250+ dollars.  Am I the only one that's thinking about this?  The B-7971 are a special case but I think six tube RZ568M clock with good features would be awesome and even help Dalibor so he can make some of those huge tubes I saw he's been experimenting with!  I'd build one at least.  Are they pin compatible with the originals?  It looks close but I thought someone told me they aren't?

Jeff Walton

Mar 28, 2019, 7:07:30 PM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Dalibor has made thousands of his tubes.  They are pin compatible and very esthetically pleasing.  They are a good alternative to the original 5680's.

At the price for 568's, the market for kits was probably drying up.  I've checked with Pete at PV and as of a month ago, he was out of kits.

Jeff

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 7:15:49 PM3/28/19
to neonixie-l
Here's that pic again. I want one of those...
2018-09-27-134534-400x300.jpg

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 7:19:02 PM3/28/19
to neonixie-l
R568_5.jpg
R568_11.jpg
R568_4.jpg

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 7:25:37 PM3/28/19
to neonixie-l
On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 4:03:08 PM UTC-7, martin martin wrote:
> I like the Dalibor clocks.  Nice tubes too. I think I want the single digit one with the spinning NE-2s
>

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 16:01 Bill Notfaded <notf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PV Electronics had one kit then discontinued it?  I'm really surprised there aren't really any kits to build clocks with Dalibor's tubes.  I'd like to build one using his tubes versus trying to buy old tubes for 250+ dollars.  Am I the only one that's thinking about this?  The B-7971 are a special case but I think six tube RZ568M clock with good features would be awesome and even help Dalibor so he can make some of those huge tubes I saw he's been experimenting with!  I'd build one at least.  Are they pin compatible with the originals?  It looks close but I thought someone told me they aren't?

> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/9895cf03-99df-4476-97ef-8e66d9b6c240%40googlegroups.com.

> mcve...@gmail.com

I want to buy his tubes but make my own clock... Just maybe not design it myself ie. build it. If they're pin compatible... There's a Chinese two tube clock made by same guy that makes the one tube B-7971 clock. Now that I have one I'll post some pics soon of it.

martin martin

Mar 28, 2019, 7:26:48 PM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
They sure to look great.  Did you see his video on YouTube of the assy?

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 8:40:12 PM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that was the first video I watched of his.  I've seen the newer video of another company millclock making what look like IN-18 style bulbs but they aren't pin compatible and they're way way long/tall.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAKYv7NSU7o74WtZTevHxxx3u9py2vXi9TfC2higSBHYiK2bYGg%40mail.gmail.com.

Bill Notfaded

Mar 28, 2019, 8:48:50 PM3/28/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Link that works of zin18

【ツ】John Smout

Mar 29, 2019, 3:42:51 AM3/29/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On 28 Mar 2019, at 23:02, martin martin <mcve...@gmail.com> wrote:

I like the Dalibor clocks.  Nice tubes too. I think I want the single digit one with the spinning NE-2s

Is it my clock to which you refer? I am open to enquiries and I do have spare PCBs. I am reluctant to supply bare kits or bare PCBs but would be be happy to supply working modules minus the power supply and tube or bare bones with just DS3231 clock, micro and associated components pre-soldered. Enough to make sure the module is working. The little neons spin across each second. There are slow cross-fading LED outputs for ambient lighting - I find yellow and red are sympathetic to the nixie's orange.

The clock is designed to fit inside a HÄRLIGA or BEGÅVNING glass dome from IKEA. The glass domes are the same in both cases. BEGÅVNING is slightly cheaper and you won’t want the cheap gold base anyway. HÄRLIGA has a wooden base which can be drilled for the power cable.

Best wishes,

John S

Dalibor

Mar 29, 2019, 5:05:15 AM3/29/19
to neonixie-l
Hello!

I want to develop a kit for our tubes this year, we already started discussion about the features etc.. It should be a hackable kit..

I would like to hear what features you consider "must have".. Thank you!

The huge tube - this is now on hold.. It was developed for a butique hotel in Paris, but it was later stopped. I plan to make one tube for lifespan testing, to see possible different behaviour from our current tube. We have all we need for it, except time to make it :-)

Dalibor

Mike Mitchell

Mar 29, 2019, 7:45:39 AM3/29/19
to neonixie-l
20170328_204635.mp4

Nicholas Stock

Mar 29, 2019, 10:05:51 AM3/29/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Nice clock John! I’d be interested....

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 29, 2019, at 04:45, Mike Mitchell <mmit...@gmail.com> wrote:

<20170328_204635.mp4>

Bill Notfaded

Mar 29, 2019, 10:08:07 AM3/29/19
to neonixie-l
I noticed he makes a two digit version that runs on 5V usb power as well.  Since you have now shown that Dalibor's tubes do in fact work in place of an original R568M or R5680M that's an option... ie. clock kits made for the old tubes.

Bill

Jon D.

Mar 29, 2019, 10:43:04 AM3/29/19
to neonixie-l
John Smout,

I would be interested in one of those R|Z568M single-digit Nixie clocks, too.

Jon J.

Bill Notfaded

Mar 29, 2019, 10:54:24 AM3/29/19
to neonixie-l
Good day Dalibor-

Some thoughts on kit features:

- SMT components so the thickness under the PCB isn't large (this is debatable because some people might have issues soldering them... another option would be having two versions one with parts and PCB and one with SMT pre-soldered for more $$$)
- Tube Effects: Normal/ Fading/ Cross Fading/Slow Fading/Loop/Flash <- important
- Adjustable tube brightness levels with sensor for auto
- Ability to mount SMT RGB led under tubes with options for color changing effects
- Small HV circuit that doesn't generate a lot of heat
- SMT components so the thickness under the PCB isn't more and a few mm.
- 12H or 24H display modes with AM/PM output and zero blanking option
- Month/Day/Year versions
- RTC with battery or farad capacitor backup option (option for GPS input or receiver would be neat as well)
- Temp/Barometric Pressure Sensor
- 2or3 alarms and  tube blanking periods

Some of this is software so you could either work that or leave it up the builder.

*** An option for wifi so you could sync ntp and also control the clock settings through a mobile app (if you used the right chipset it could even have BT) <-- icing on the cake but I suppose IR receiver for remote could also be an option.  Personally I think wifi is the way to go today but I'm a Computer Scientist.

Best Regards,

Bill

Oh and by the way... That even larger tube would kill any desire for the Rodan tubes out there (1000$+ for a tube lol you could easily charge a lot less for and still have the tube that killed the big Rodan).  My guess is you would make yours so it's more uniform too... more like the font design in your original tube and classic 568 style.  Those Rodan look stretched way too thin in their font and the cathode thickness... your glass blows them away too... ie. the Rodan has almost paper thin glass it's made out of.  Yeah it makes them lighter (ridiculously light) but for goodness sake this glass we're talking about.  :^}  MEGA PROPs for starting with a slightly taller 568 style font character (53mm)... idk why anyone would start with small tubes???  (that sounds funny calling IN-18 style small hehe lol)

I'm very impressed by your perseverance... you have already inspired a new generation Dalibor that already seem to be following your lead.  I'm not sure how that makes you feel but judging by your blog it sounds like you decided sharing your knowledge is more important that trying to keep it all secret.  I commend this... it's not an easy decision to come to.  Hackable and open source is good stuff.

gregebert

Mar 29, 2019, 11:02:15 AM3/29/19
to neonixie-l
I would put a RaspberryPi as the main controller; it can get time from the network via built-in WiFi and all of the control software can be updated/modified by the end-user. Since it's a Linux-based platform with remote login via VNC, there's no limit to the kinds of applications that can be developed, shared, etc.

Tyler Bourne

Apr 3, 2019, 11:54:28 AM4/3/19
to neonixie-l

Hi Dalibor.

I have a couple thoughts on a kit.

I would lean toward through hole components if possible to improve ease of assemble and hackability, this may not be practical though.
Using a socketed Arduino compatible controller would also help with the hackability.

I can't wait to someday see a jumbo nixie for an affordable* price.
*compared to a CD47.

PS.  I actually like the shape of the numbers in the CD47, makes it a bit more unique.

David Pye

Apr 3, 2019, 12:08:56 PM4/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
My few thoughts:

Yep, through hole where possible, but things like direct drive and HV5622 etc are often only in SMD and they are so useful!

Consider the ESP8266 as the microcontroller - has a lot of the advantages of the Pi, (as in, Wifi enabled etc, NTP support) but without the overhead of an operating system.   I've used it for a number of projects here, including VFD clocks, and it's generally very good. Only annoying thing is lack of hardware PWM, so it's done in SW.
I don't really want a clock with a full OS on, as the last thing I need is having to sysadmin it (eg remove log files etc!)

David

dal...@farny.cz

Apr 4, 2019, 3:18:10 AM4/4/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I will definitely use THT components, HV5622 will sit in a THT socket as well. I know that most customers would solder SMT components without issues, but we need to think of the beginners as well.

I plan to use ATmega328 as a basic "brain" of the board, there will be option to choose Photon module with Wifi connectivity (thats what we use for Zen and Puri clocks) and online user interface for controlling the clock. Pi would not be offered, it is too complex for a clock in long-term - SD card corruption, log files, configuration etc.. But it would be possible to wire it to the board to drive the display.

Cheers,

Dalibor

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.