[OT] AC frequency deviation in Europe

Paolo Cravero

Mar 8, 2018, 3:27:55 AM3/8/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
This info affects all clocks in Europe that derive their timebase from the 50 Hz AC frequency.

Last week I noticed my 20+ y.o. Sony Digicube was runnng late: we had adjusted +4 minutes in a week. What bite my curiosity was that the 9 y.o. microwave oven clock had the same delay. Initially I suspected an extra load on the grid caused by the extra-cold weather Europe experienced in week 9, but after a little investigation I found this:

(and the links in the FAQ at the bottom)

Paolo

Tomislav Cordazzo

Mar 8, 2018, 6:26:36 AM3/8/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Same here in Zagreb, Croatia. I have 30 year old noname LED bedside clock which was suddenly late. At instant I had a thought of using this as excuse for SWMBO for building orange glow one instead...

On 8 March 2018 at 09:27, Paolo Cravero <paolo....@gmail.com> wrote:
This info affects all clocks in Europe that derive their timebase from the 50 Hz AC frequency.

Last week I noticed my 20+ y.o. Sony Digicube was runnng late: we had adjusted +4 minutes in a week. What bite my curiosity was that the 9 y.o. microwave oven clock had the same delay. Initially I suspected an extra load on the grid caused by the extra-cold weather Europe experienced in week 9, but after a little investigation I found this:
(and the links in the FAQ at the bottom)

Paolo

Message has been deleted

sonixie

Mar 9, 2018, 3:29:12 AM3/9/18
to neonixie-l
Same situation here in Italy. I have three nixie clocks around home, we realized that they were all delayed in late february. I told my wife that there is a tight control of the grid frequency and if they realize that they have given away too many pulses, they take them back. She could not believe me. Actually, she was right. We had never experienced delays like this. though. We were late at work because of this. Certainly 113 GWh sounds like a lot of missing energy. Makes you wonder whether this is a new kind of crime, stealing electric energy from power lines,  besides stealing oil from pipelines or copper from gutters, church roofs and electric wires...