KiCad footprint for ZM1130

Hatse Flats

Dec 27, 2016, 5:42:29ā€ÆPM12/27/16
to neonixie-l
Hello,

I am new to this group so please let me know if my request is inappropriate.

I am designing my own Nixie clock and that will be driven by a Raspberry Pi 3. Until now I have tested some basic parts of what will become the entire thing and it all works fine, meaning that I can drive one digit of one tube plugged into a breadboard with a Java program running on the Raspberry. I have started to make a full design of the circuit I want to build using the KiCad workbench build 2012 running on Linux Wheezy.

I am now facing the problem of not being able to find a proper footprint for the ZM1130 tubes I bought. Later versions of KiCad have the ability to edit your own footprints but I can't be bothered to update my Linux box to host a later version of KiCad. So here is my request: is there anyone out there that can point me towards a footprint for an 11-pin socket for the ZM1130 valve?

Your help will be very much appreciated,

Hatse

Paolo Cravero

Dec 27, 2016, 5:51:42ā€ÆPM12/27/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
Looks like the footprint was called sk116: have you tried looking for this code instead? Then you might search a library for an equivalent tube (as form factor).

It worked with sk207 footprint for me.

Paolo

Hatse Flats

Dec 27, 2016, 6:28:08ā€ÆPM12/27/16
to neonixie-l
Thanks Paolo,

Indeed, "Dieter's" database showed me that the SK-116 socket should work: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/data/zm1130.htm

...now trying to find the footprint file. Keep you posted.

Hatse

Il 27/Dic/2016 23:42, "Hatse Flats" <hutte...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
[...]

Paolo Cravero

Jan 3, 2017, 12:52:03ā€ÆPM1/3/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hatse,
have you found some interesting footprint for KiCad?

It turns out that yesterday I installed KiCad and gave it a try. Board size limit of free Eagle was my main reason to try the switch over: given that I've not spent more than 10 hours on Eagle I have not wasted too much (sleep) time. Following KiCad tutorial on Hack a Day I've just drawn three Nixie symbols (0-9, 0-9 and decimal point, 0-9 and two decimal points) and a schematic diagram with 6 digits. I really love KiCad keyboard shortcuts.

Next is to draw footprints for the tubes I own: ZM1000, 5870S/ZM1332, B5092 and VFDs IV-3, IV-6, IV-22.

I will share the resulting library and keep people posted here.

Paolo

Hatse Flats

Jan 3, 2017, 1:02:31ā€ÆPM1/3/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paolo,

I eventually drew my own footprints for the ZM1130 (and other components). The option to draw footprints turned out to be hidden somewhere in KiCad. I am now about to have the PCB produced and when it all works out I want to share my footprints. Any suggestions, github?Ā

Thanks for your help though, and indeed, it takes quite some time but it looks like it's all worthwhile,

Hatse

Ian Sparkes

Jan 9, 2017, 5:42:09ā€ÆAM1/9/17
to neonixie-l
Hi Paolo,

just a word of encouragement from someone else who was where you are right now. KiCAD takes a bit of getting used to, but it is definitely worth sticking with. Make sure you are running a new build (the last stable one is three years old). Once you are in to it, you won't want to go back. The "push and shove" routing is really nice.

Paolo Cravero

Jan 9, 2017, 6:47:08ā€ÆAM1/9/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian, Hatse.
I did not reply to this thread but I spent last week playing with KiCad: I really love it. I find it much more intuitive than Eagle especially because I'm a keyboard guy, so keyboard shortcuts speed up my work.

As an exercise I've drawn symbols and footprints for SK-207 (5870S, ZM1332 and lots more), that uses uncommon spacing and for IV-6, which is circular: not an easy task for a beginner. I also found out that KiCad 4.0.5 imports Eagle libraries natively, which is good, but I prefer to draw my symbols. I have backed up those libraries on GitHub, but still need some polishing before sharing (they're already visible anyway https://github.com/jh1995/KiCad-libs).

I am half-way wiring six sockets for ZM1020/B5092 to go with your (Ian's) generic nixie clock PCB, but I might spend my efforts on doing a few tube PCBs in KiCad. It's curious how I can find PCBs that match my tubes but not the number of them: 4 vs 6, 6 vs 4, so I've got to make my own.

Paolo

GQRP #12058 + http://www.paolocravero.tk + I QRP #476
FT-817 External -:-Knob-:-Display-:-Keypad-:- at http://bit.ly/luE4pv
FT-8x7 -:- CAT-to-Bluetooth dongle -:- status at http://bit.ly/VtE3c4

Hatse Flats

Feb 25, 2017, 11:49:18ā€ÆAM2/25/17
to neonixie-l

Dear Paolo and Ian,

I have finished my Nixie clock and added the SK118-A footprint for a ZM1130 Nixie Tube into your library on Github. I hope I did everything alright for providing you the pull request. I hope you like the picture attached. Don't be confused about the color of the tubes, I washed away the red contrast enhancing filter.

I hope you're making good progress with your own clock,

Regards,

Bart