Prices, seriously?

Nick Andrews

Jun 10, 2021, 4:47:33 PM6/10/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
SO it's getting beyond ridiculous now.  Over $6ea for IN-17 now?  Really?  Quadrupled in price since I got a hundred of them just a few months ago.  IN-12 are psychotic too.  Just bought  hundred IN-2 and waiting on them.  Guess I'm SOL on getting some big tubes unless I want to trade a pistol or something.

Nicholas Stock

Jun 10, 2021, 4:50:11 PM6/10/21
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Yep, it's gone nuts.

Beware the IN2, no Hg, so lifetime can be short and their QC left a little to be desired.....

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:47 PM Nick Andrews <nickja...@gmail.com> wrote:
SO it's getting beyond ridiculous now.  Over $6ea for IN-17 now?  Really?  Quadrupled in price since I got a hundred of them just a few months ago.  IN-12 are psychotic too.  Just bought  hundred IN-2 and waiting on them.  Guess I'm SOL on getting some big tubes unless I want to trade a pistol or something.

Nick Andrews

Jun 10, 2021, 4:54:55 PM6/10/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
$2.06ea delivered, if they get here.  Hopefully some good ones.  Allegedly NOS, but you know how that goes.  How about the IN-1 and IN-4?  Don't have any of those.  Yet.

Nicholas Stock

Jun 10, 2021, 5:04:29 PM6/10/21
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Same story, no Hg in those either and the IN1 has the bakelite type base (fugly to some). I had a clock with IN4's in and got fed up changing the tubes..looked like internal shorts (whisker development), but I didn't analyze them very closely....I have one of Juergen's IN2 clocks on my desk and I have to replace one of the tubes every 4 or 5 months it would seem..... However, I haven't had to replace an IN17 (same digit size as far as I can see)..

useful table here with datasheet lifetimes...

Nick Andrews

Jun 10, 2021, 5:24:48 PM6/10/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Bill Notfaded

Jun 11, 2021, 3:39:43 PM6/11/21
to neonixie-l
55$ for an IN-14... geesh!  It's fine grid but what?

Bill

Joe Croft

Jun 11, 2021, 3:53:11 PM6/11/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, gone are the days when the common folk could go out and obtain/make an affordable clock or other device. It is becoming a hobby for the well to do :(. It was fun while it lasted.

-joe

tntmod54321

Jun 11, 2021, 3:54:41 PM6/11/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
There are still deals to ve found :) maybe it's time to try VFDs haha

Adam Jacobs

Jun 11, 2021, 3:57:11 PM6/11/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Wait seriously $55 for IN-14? I'm going to sell of my stash and plan a European vacation...

Nick Andrews

Jun 11, 2021, 4:30:40 PM6/11/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I actually bought some of those 16-segment ones for that very reason!  I've always trashed the typical generic multi-digit ones from old adding machines, etc because they're just not cool.  But these individual tubes are pretty nice, and big.  Also got some of the really big 7-segment ones.

Nick Andrews

Jun 11, 2021, 4:31:54 PM6/11/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we need to just get a group of hooligans to go to Ukraine and start prying open old warehouses and rifling through them...

Michail Wilson

Jun 11, 2021, 7:54:22 PM6/11/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I have a couple hundred IN-14s.  At $55, I would love to sell them all as well.

Just to be clear, I think they said $55 for a fine grid.  I have about 20 of them.   Who’s buying?  Heh.

Just looked, I actually have about 5 NOS IN-14 Fine grid.

In my experience, I don’t like the fine grid as much.  They look nice, but appear to be some military type of coating and they take a little time to ‘warm up’.

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

Mac Doktor

Jun 11, 2021, 10:28:05 PM6/11/21
to neonixie-l

On Jun 11, 2021, at 3:54 PM, tntmod54321 <tntm...@gmail.com> wrote:

There are still deals to ve found :) maybe it's time to try VFDs haha

Precisely why I've been keeping an eye on IV-4s and IV-17s. Hell, they have more segments than a 7971.

More segments than the IN-23. The collectors can have those.

On Jun 11, 2021, at 4:30 PM, Nick Andrews <nickja...@gmail.com> wrote:

I actually bought some of those 16-segment ones for that very reason!

18 segments. The "decimal points" are descenders. They make it possible to do most of the capital letters in the Cyrillic alphabet.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

“...the book said something astonishing, a very big thought. The stars, it said, were suns but very far away. The Sun was a star but close up.”—Carl Sagan, "The Backbone Of Night", Cosmos, 1980

tntmod54321

Jun 11, 2021, 10:29:42 PM6/11/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, they're going up too, I picked up 20 something to brace for the inevitable price hike

Nick Andrews

Jun 12, 2021, 2:07:37 AM6/12/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Damn,  I guess I'd only gotten 18 IN-12.  6ea 15a and 15b.  Just put this kit together tonight.  Not bad for around $20 plus tubes.

20210611_224601.jpg

Robert G. Schaffrath

Jun 12, 2021, 7:29:38 AM6/12/21
to neonixie-l
I noticed the upward trend in early fall of 2019. I had just gotten back into Nixie's so I figured I had better jump and I went out and got a batch of NOS IN-12B, IN-17 and IN-15A/B's. The IN-15's are really just a curiosity item for their symbols.

As people have noted, they are not making them anymore and the supply is drying up. Unless someone stumbles across a hoard of a million IN-12's/IN-14's/IN-18's, etc. in an abandoned warehouse in Ukraine, and word leaks out, they will not get any cheaper. Just like B7971's. It is shocking to see used tubes selling for more than NOS were selling for less than two years ago.

gregebert

Jun 12, 2021, 11:02:36 AM6/12/21
to neonixie-l
I'm hoping Dalibor will make his "H tube" available for sale when it's production-worthy.

Nick Andrews

Jun 12, 2021, 11:57:31 AM6/12/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I looked last night on ebay the best price for IN-12 was $7 each.  I think I paid $2.50 just a few months ago.

Bill Notfaded

Jun 17, 2021, 1:11:09 PM6/17/21
to neonixie-l
I bought a couple sealed boxes of IN12's about 2 years ago because I could see this coming.  Only 3 years ago I was buying sealed boxes of IN-18 for a little over a grand.  Times are a changin'.

Bill