IV-4 vs IV-17 - What's the difference?

Mac Doktor

Jun 9, 2021, 5:16:06 PM6/9/21
to neonixie-l
The subject says (asks) it all. I've read that they're identical. Perhaps the IV-17 came later? OTOH, I've also heard that VFDs with newer dates are dimmer.

What's the skinny?

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

“...the book said something astonishing, a very big thought. The stars, it said, were suns but very far away. The Sun was a star but close up.”—Carl Sagan, "The Backbone Of Night", Cosmos, 1980

Nicholas Stock

Jun 9, 2021, 5:27:23 PM6/9/21
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
The only difference I know of is the filament voltages are different by 0.2V. When operated in multiplex in the correct range, both IV4 and IV17 look identical in my experience.

tntmod54321

Jun 9, 2021, 6:31:01 PM6/9/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know iv-4 tubes are also rated for a longer lifespan and it might just be my eyes but iv-17s appear a little chunkier

Nicholas Stock

Jun 9, 2021, 7:01:44 PM6/9/21
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
I have 100's of each...I can't discern any noticeable difference between the two physically (except the numbering on the back!) :)