radiation and neon bulbs [ #2]

JohnK

Jun 22, 2017, 10:02:38 PM6/22/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, that earlier post just posted itself before I finished :-)

So:-
I saw this post by Joe Sousa over at TCA Group. Mailed him about posting here but no reply (yet). Joe was a member of the Yahoo Group, no idea if he still follows now.

John K
Australia.

Joe's post........

"I have surveyed my collection of Philbrick K2-W, K2-X, K2-XA OPAMP modules for signs of radiation. These are all in plastic shells. The black modules and beige modules all have neon bulbs with a dab of radium paint. None of the newer gray plastic modules showed signs of radiation.

None of the aluminum case tube opamps, like the SK-2V showed signs of radiation.

See the results of my survey of radiation in philbrick modules at
This PDF also includes details for a Geiger detector pancake cell with a mica window that lets alpha particles through. The radiation does drop when the plastic case covers the radium paint on the neons.

email exchanges on this topic at