Diving VFD such as IV-22 etc DC Vs AC Filament drive

Richard Scales

Jun 16, 2023, 1:45:02 AM6/16/23
to neonixie-l
Greetings all,

I am starting to look at VFD displays and am reading all I can about them.

I am trying to get a better understanding of the pros and cons of using a AC filament drive rather than an DC one.

I am aware that on larger displays (like those monster ones from Russia) it is necessary in order to create a more even glow across segments. I wonder however how important this is for smaller segments like those in IV-22 for example.

Making the filament drive AC adds a small degree of complexity but if the difference is visible and beneficial then I'd like to go that way.

My project would be direct drive, no multiplexing required.

- Richard

Adam Jacobs

Jun 16, 2023, 3:16:47 AM6/16/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
You'll be fine with DC. If you can't see a visible difference in brightness across the tube then it probably doesn't matter. People say there are lifespan issues with DC but I haven't seen that yet on my VFD clocks. I just use DC and bias the grid ~ -3vdc.

Christian Riise Wagner

Jun 16, 2023, 3:18:37 AM6/16/23
to neonixie-l
The IV-22 has very low filament voltage. Something like 1.2V IIRC. That makes the voltage gradient across the display face low and I didn't notice a brightness gradient while running one with DC. Used a simple buck converter for the filament and a boost converter for the anodes and grid.

Paul Andrews

Jun 16, 2023, 9:20:18 AM6/16/23
to neonixie-l
Assuming you drive the filaments in parallel rather than in series, a DC voltage would be fine. If you drive them in series then (I assume) the voltage gradient might be visible. A decision to drive in parallel has a knock-on effect - I couldn't come up with an AC drive that had a constant voltage with varying load. With filaments in parallel, the load will change if one or more filaments burn out. You don't want a filament burn out to increase the voltage across the remaining tubes, otherwise they might burn out too - so a regulated DC voltage is easiest. With a non-regulated AC supply, you will also get a higher voltage at startup when the filament is cold. Another reason to go with a regulated DC supply. Which brings me to the potential issue of in-rush current. Either a constant current setup or a current-limiting resistor in series with the filament would be a good idea. The latter also helps with achieving a voltage offset to the grid - i.e. making the grid negative with respect to the filament.

gregebert

Jun 16, 2023, 11:55:30 AM6/16/23
to neonixie-l
Adding series resistors also reduces the current spike during power-on. Hard to say what fails first with VFD's; ones that I've seen such as the displays on kitchen appliances which run 24/7 show phosphor degradation after a few years. If you frequently power-cycle the filaments, then you definitely want to take steps to reduce the current spike.

Be sure to include a PIR sensor so you can shut off the segments when it's not in-use; your decision to keep filaments on or off.

For my NIMO clock, I shut off the anode supply after 2 minutes of no PIR activity to reduce phosphor burn, and the filaments go off after 12 hours of no activity.

Moses

Jun 16, 2023, 3:32:01 PM6/16/23
to neonixie-l
Richard,

Same here! I started to experiment with the IV-21 tube and how to drive it recently. I have some drivers on the way. I don't have much experience with VFDs at the moment.. but I did light one up on the bench recently.

I used the datasheet recommended filament voltage/current on the IV-21 of about 2.7v at 35ma, and I lit up all the segments/girds manually without a driver IC. With everything on, I was able to perceive a difference in the brightness but I had to be looking for it, it was not obvious. Now in operation as a clock, as opposed to a static display with all segments on, I would expect it to be less noticeable.

The IV-21 is one of those 8 digit small calculator type tubes, the filament is about 40cm long or so. I believe the IV-22 single digit tube would have a shorter filament, and hence less of an effect? Maybe.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Regards,
-Moses

Richard Scales

Jun 16, 2023, 11:29:23 PM6/16/23
to neonixie-l
Many thanks for all your replies and advice.
DC seems t be the way then, with some series resistance on the filament supply.
I'll start in that direction and get something working on the bench.
 - Richard

David Pye

Jun 17, 2023, 11:01:37 AM6/17/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
For the longer tubes where the brightness gradient is problematic, the usual DC-DC converter to get the voltage followed by an H-bridge to generate an alternating polarity square wave is another option.

David

Benoit Tourret

Jun 18, 2023, 8:01:06 AM6/18/23
to neonixie-l
in eastern europe, they are often using a handmade transformer driven by a sn6501
the ferromagnetic core receives windings of two to forty turns with wire of 0.1, 0.2 or 0.4mm

see on PCBWAY project of Konstantin Repnikov from BELARUS.
I will try one day, I will try.... I have the core and the wire...
In my youth, I was a redhead. can you imagine the hair? oh well it's the same...
2.png.jpg
1.png

Moses

Jun 24, 2023, 5:17:24 PM6/24/23
to neonixie-l
Richard,

An update for you on my experience. I got VFD drivers (max6921) and built up my first prototype using an IV-21 tube.

I cannot see any different from running it on DC while running the *RECOMMENDED* filament current. I'm running the filament at a recommended 2.65 volts on DC giving me 35mA (through 5v using a series resistor). Grid and anode voltages are at 35v from the recommended 27-50v of the datasheet.

*NOTE: I initially had the filament driven at around 2.3-2.4 volts and 30mA, this did cause a noticeable brightness gradient from one side of the tube to the other, not too bad though. I swapped polarity and the gradient moved. But by dropping the series resistor and giving the filament another 0.25v / 5ma or so I can stare at it all day and I can't see a difference. I'm surprised at the difference such small voltage/current made.

Picture attached. Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Moses

IV-21-neonixie-prototype-01.jpg