Green Nixie tube?

Miles Thatch

Dec 23, 2022, 10:53:48 PM12/23/22
to neonixie-l
Good day, everyone.

I'm wondering, do green Nixie digital display tubes exist? From what I understand, the color of the discharge depends on the vacuum and type of gas but I've not seen any images showcasing one with a green color. Is there such a thing?

Jasper nagle

Dec 23, 2022, 11:14:17 PM12/23/22
to neonixie-l

Miles Thatch

Dec 23, 2022, 11:57:43 PM12/23/22
to neonixie-l
Ahh I see. I suppose nothing that would be physically similar looking to a standard nixie display with layers of cutout digits as cathodes

Audrey

Dec 24, 2022, 1:49:01 AM12/24/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

petehand

Dec 24, 2022, 3:17:53 AM12/24/22
to neonixie-l
I suspect any green or violet nixies have been re-gassed, as I'm sure they were never manufactured. The electrical characteristics must be entirely different from the usual neon. However, I have seen such a thing before - in the bottom left corner of a screen in the "Guitar Heroes" video game, which featured a four digit green :nixie" display.

Tidak Ada

Dec 24, 2022, 6:04:52 AM12/24/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

There is clearly a green filter visible over the tube

eric

Audrey

Dec 24, 2022, 6:17:43 AM12/24/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

liam bartosiewicz

Dec 24, 2022, 5:27:06 PM12/24/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
It’s hard to tell, I’ve never seen a gas that emits that color. Maybe it’s a mix of argon and mercury?

Robert G. Schaffrath

Dec 25, 2022, 8:55:46 AM12/25/22
to neonixie-l
My late father was a Professor of Chemistry. He had a collection of spectra tubes of the various elemental gases. I added chlorine and mercury to that collection many years later after he had passed when I found a good deal online for those tubes. At one time, I took pictures of those tubes operating and posted the pictures at http://www.schaffrath.net/Spectra/ (the two bottom photos are different because I added those later when I got the last two tubes). From the pictures, mercury seems to be the closest in color to that tube. The only problem though is, in my experience, the mercury tends to condense when the tube is not in use and it takes a short period of time for it to heat up, vaporize and reach full intensity. If you ever see videos of mercury arc rectifiers, there is a warmup period before they get going. Same with the old mercury vapor street lights from decades ago before sodium became prevalent.