OT: Reasonable quality step-up converter?

jb-electronics

Oct 24, 2018, 2:20:43 PM10/24/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Hi folks,

This is a bit off-topic, but I hope somebody can help. As some of you know I live in Canada, but I am originally from Germany. Most of my tools can be switched between 110V/220V input, so that's fine, except for my soldering station. It is a Weller 40W digital station that I have had for years and I do not want to buy a new one. The problem: it only has a 220V input.

So I was looking for a step-up converter, and I was surprised by the crappy quality of almost everything out there. If you look on Amazon or Ebay, there are a lot of types very similar to this one here:

Usually around USD 50 with quite a few negative reviews (typically around 10%) of people saying it eventually almost burned up their house. Not interested! So I was trying to find something reasonable, which turned out to be a bit more difficult that I had originally anticipated. I found these here:

Do you think these are reliable? Or where else can I find something of decent quality? I am looking for something around 300-400W.

Many thanks and best wishes from Canada
Jens

Vlad Shmit

Oct 24, 2018, 2:33:26 PM10/24/18
to neonixie-l
Hey!
I'd suggest you visit a thrift store and pick any electronics 50W rated (or more)  with the voltage switch on its back. Then take it apart and use the transformer to upconvert 110V into 220V. Bottom line, you have to make some enclosure but I'm sure you'll take care of it.

alb.001 alb.001

Oct 24, 2018, 2:46:37 PM10/24/18
to neonixie-l

where in Canada are you  ?   I have several quite big heavy duty ones.  check for any  hamfests   ( just google that term)  in your area - often there are many available there because they were used to run CB type radios etc. It's an amateur electronics style flea market.   I am in Brampton Ont  so if you are not too far we could meet up   they are too heavy to ship.

Thanks  Phil

gregebert

Oct 24, 2018, 3:14:08 PM10/24/18
to neonixie-l
Jens - Can you install any 220V outlets in your garage ? Typical setup in US/Canada is for homes to have 3 incoming wires (120V-neutral-120v). Most outlets are 120V, which is across the neutral line and either of the 120V "hot" leads. To get 240VAC, use both 'hot' leads.. At the meter/circuit-breaker panel you have ready access to 240VAC.

Another option, and it's ugly, is to locate 2 AC outlets that are powered from different 'hot' sources; that will get you double the line voltage across the 2 'hot' leads.

Most likely, the 60Hz mains in Canada wont impact your soldering station that operates on 50Hz.

I have an extra 120V / 20Amp isolation transformer (and it can step-up/step-down for 220V)  that I would be happy to give to you, but it's too heavy to ship.

Shaun Merrigan

Oct 24, 2018, 3:28:58 PM10/24/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Jens,

The Hammond 176 series will do what you want:

Regards,

Shaun M (also from Canada)

Sent from my iPad6

No Regret

Bill van Dijk

Oct 24, 2018, 4:33:08 PM10/24/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

If you need some reasonable current, use a good sized isolation transformer (110 – 110) and wire the secondary to one line. If you have the polarity right, you will now have a 220V auto transformer (if the polarity is wrong you get nothing J). Works fine for me.

Tony

Oct 24, 2018, 4:57:58 PM10/24/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Have you had a look at the transformer in the Weller to see if it has
a centre tapped primary or if not, is it a standard type that could be
replaced with a 110V version?

Tony.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 12:20:39 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>This is a bit off-topic, but I hope somebody can help. As some of you
>know I live in Canada, but I am originally from Germany. Most of my
>tools can be switched between 110V/220V input, so that's fine, except
>for my soldering station. It is a Weller 40W digital station that I have
>had for years and I do not want to buy a new one. The problem: it only
>has a 220V input.
>
>So I was looking for a step-up converter, and I was surprised by the
>crappy quality of almost everything out there. If you look on Amazon or
>Ebay, there are a lot of types very similar to this one here:
>
> * http://www.amazon.com/Instapark-ITU-500-Voltage-Converter-Transformer/dp/B07B9F87HG/
>
>Usually around USD 50 with quite a few negative reviews (typically
>around 10%) of people saying it eventually almost burned up their house.
>Not interested! So I was trying to find something reasonable, which
>turned out to be a bit more difficult that I had originally anticipated.
>I found these here:
>
> * http://www.kriegermfg.com/products/voltage-transformers/

Charles MacDonald

Oct 24, 2018, 8:38:54 PM10/24/18
to jb-electronics, neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 2018-10-24 2:20 p.m., jb-electronics wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is a bit off-topic, but I hope somebody can help. As some of you
> know I live in Canada, but I am originally from Germany. Most of my
> tools can be switched between 110V/220V input, so that's fine, except
> for my soldering station. It is a Weller 40W digital station that I have
> had for years and I do not want to buy a new one. The problem: it only
> has a 220V input.

In order I would look to see if the unit has atrasnformer with two
primary windings connected in series... if so connect them in parrall.
That is a common way that North American designers tackled the European
market

second would be to see if a standard transformer could be swapped in.
you would have to determine what the output voltage would be, and then
look in the Hammond Catalog to find a good cadidate.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/5cpwr.htm

third would be the hammond autotrasnformer

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5C_298.pdf

--
Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca Just Beyond the Fringe

jb-electronics

Nov 4, 2018, 3:17:56 PM11/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Thank you for all your advice. I I am located in Alberta, far away from
Ontario, so I had to find some other solution. I should mention that I
live on campus (doing my Ph.D.) and so I do not have any access to the
breaker panel or any 240V outlets in the building. I ended up getting
the Krieger 450W step-up converter for around CAD 85 (including
shipping), which is cheaper than many Ebay offers (usually the shipping
costs are too much, shipping can be crazy expensive in Canada). Many
thanks again for the excellent suggestions!

So I hooked it up to the step-up converter and I get a very strange
behavior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC47kkjh1sc

Any ideas? What could be the problem?

Best wishes
Jens

Terry S

Nov 4, 2018, 3:28:26 PM11/4/18
to neonixie-l
Guessing the micro does not like 60HZ.

Terry

Charles MacDonald

Nov 4, 2018, 4:15:33 PM11/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, jb-electronics
On 2018-11-04 3:17 p.m., jb-electronics wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Thank you for all your advice. I I am located in Alberta, far away from
> Ontario, so I had to find some other solution. I should mention that I
> live on campus (doing my Ph.D.) and so I do not have any access to the
> breaker panel or any 240V outlets in the building. I ended up getting
> the Krieger 450W step-up converter for around CAD 85 (including
> shipping),
> So I hooked it up to the step-up converter and I get a very strange
> behavior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC47kkjh1sc

how clean is the output of your inverter? some just output square waves,
which might be confusing the processor in your soldering station. it
almost looks like it is getting a "reset" and rebooting.

many folks have the same problem with inverters that run 110V stuff of
their 12V system in a Motor Home or car.

jb-electronics

Nov 4, 2018, 5:31:08 PM11/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Terry, I am not sure how the microcontroller would even feel the 60Hz,
but I ordered a special security bit that will let me open the housing
and inspect the electronics.

Charles, how would I check that? I don't think that it resets, though:
if you look at the beginning of the video I posted you see that there is
a brief display of the target temperature (400C) as well as the unit
system 'C' at the beginning. Now if the microcontroller would reset,
then this startup animation should show again I think. So maybe it is
something different?

Do you think I could hook up something in parallel that would smoothen
the signal?

Best wishes
Jens

jb-electronics

Nov 4, 2018, 5:39:03 PM11/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
PS: I should ahve said earlier that on the bottom of the soldering
station it says "230V 50Hz/60Hz" so I do not think the 60Hz is causing
the issue. Jens

Terry S

Nov 4, 2018, 7:07:35 PM11/4/18
to neonixie-l
In some designs, the line frequency is tapped as a timing source. However, in this case, as you pointed out, it seems designed to run on 50 or 60.... so not the problem. Is your supply an inverter or just a step up transformer?

jb-electronics

Nov 4, 2018, 7:09:48 PM11/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I think it is a step-up transformer. What would be the difference?

Best wishes
Jens

Terry S

Nov 4, 2018, 7:18:34 PM11/4/18
to neonixie-l
An inverter would convert to DC and back again to AC, thereby being able to convert 50 to 60 hz. This looks to be a real step up/down transformer. I'd plug the whole thing into an isolation transformer and then put a scope on the output. I can't imagine that a real transformer could have a distorted output unless you were over-taxing it. Then it might saturate and clip.

alb.001 alb.001

Nov 5, 2018, 11:09:56 AM11/5/18
to neonixie-l

This Krieger is an up/down bi-directional converter.  I have one made in Korea, also up/down  converter   and it only contains a large toroidal transformer and I suspect this one is also just a large transformer in a box and unlikely to have any solid-state conversion going on. especially since it is "heavy"  so lots of iron core  inside ?   So no clue why the display is wonky.

Phil