My IN-18 clock project

ZY

Jun 24, 2021, 10:08:00 PM6/24/21
to neonixie-l
I finally finished my IN-18 clock after procrastinating for forever.

Here's it at max brightness (normally I dial it down a bit)
im4.jpg

ZY

Jun 24, 2021, 10:09:17 PM6/24/21
to neonixie-l
Oh I guess selecting small doesn't make it a clickable thumbnail. Another attempt here:
im4.jpg

ZY

Jun 24, 2021, 10:09:56 PM6/24/21
to neonixie-l
im3.jpg
back.jpg

ZY

Jun 24, 2021, 10:12:43 PM6/24/21
to neonixie-l
And some internal circuitry and cad pics:
circuit.jpg
circuit2.jpg
circuit3.jpg
cad_front.png
cad_back.png

ZY

Jun 24, 2021, 10:14:32 PM6/24/21
to neonixie-l
Oops, one of the images broke. Sorry, I'm not used to posting images here, running into message too long errors xD
cad_back.png

newxito

Jun 30, 2021, 2:30:32 AM6/30/21
to neonixie-l
Well done! I like the case and the nice knob on the back. Is the case 3D printed?

ZY

Jun 30, 2021, 2:56:25 AM6/30/21
to neonixie-l
Thanks! The case is 3D printed, I used some sparkly grey filament from proto-pasta. I would love to CNC an aluminum one but the cost would be a bit out of my league.

Bill Notfaded

Jun 30, 2021, 1:59:56 PM6/30/21
to neonixie-l
It looks like you used a modular pcb design for it.  Some of the hardware looks so nice it's almost bordering on BadNixie aesthetics... almost a shame to hide really nice looking hardware pieces.  Part of thing I love about my Mod-Six and my Black Emerald are the way the hardware/pcb/case all are on display in such a professional hand crafted kind of way!

Bill

ZY

Jul 1, 2021, 2:46:16 PM7/1/21
to neonixie-l
Thanks! I got the PCBs from oshpark which do a black PCB with clear soldermask service that looks really nice. The modularness also stems from that since they give 3 copies of your design per order, so I can save a bit of money if I don't intend to build 3 clocks. It does increase the costs of connectors and build time significantly, and crimping those wires was probably the most annoying part of the build.

In my original IN-14 design I actually intended to print a transparent case so I could see the internals, but I couldn't really get it to be see-through enough without the shell walls being extremely thin.