Refilling tubes/different gasses

Paul Andrews

Mar 9, 2018, 3:33:20 PM3/9/18
to neonixie-l
Looks like vacuumglow is aiming to refill tubes:

https://www.facebook.com/vacuumglow/posts/704184109789357

Joe Croft

Mar 9, 2018, 3:44:30 PM3/9/18
to neonixie-l
Wow, way cool! That and argon ne2 bukds would make a pretty nixie neon clock :)

-joe

On Mar 9, 2018 2:33 PM, "Paul Andrews" <pa...@nixies.us> wrote:
Looks like vacuumglow is aiming to refill tubes:

 https://www.facebook.com/vacuumglow/posts/704184109789357

jb-electronics

Mar 9, 2018, 4:01:53 PM3/9/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I need more detailed photos, especially of the tube-base connection that is covered by the cables in the first picture. Otherwise it could just be photoshopped ;-)
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAE%2BVk6PQv%3DUiutzPPpTVEpUskYZi60Wm3ivDORF3LUvxGyMjtA%40mail.gmail.com.

Nick

Mar 9, 2018, 5:29:09 PM3/9/18
to neonixie-l
I'm kind of with Jens on this.

None of the production process is shown and as we know from dalibor, it's complex and takes years to get right. Pretty sure dalibor has used different gases too.

The Penning Mixture of Ne+Ar is completely standard - the others are interesting but maybe not practical due to the high strike voltages needed.

I've made letter tubes using He and Xe- not sure those would be usable in a small indicator tube.

I worked with Richard Wheaton, one of the top hot glass artists in Europe (he made the "people like neon' display in our banner), on refilling some damaged tubes I had. Ultimately it wasn't successful as the glass in the tubes becomes brittle with age and it's very very tricky (read as "not economic") to get right for a host of reasons.

Nick

Spirit

Mar 9, 2018, 6:39:45 PM3/9/18
to neonixie-l
Looks like all they've done so far is pop an existing IN-18 and refill it with their own mixture. That's fairly simple to do, but it won't run for long since they spoiled the getter.
Different noble gases in tubes would be amazing though.

jb-electronics

Mar 9, 2018, 7:08:05 PM3/9/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if it is simple to do, especially if you are aiming to refill the tube by attaching a stem close to the base. Heating up soda lime glass is not a piece of cake, and it is very likely to crack if you are not very careful. The proximity to the metal pins at the base makes this even more complicated. Hats off to those who can do it! Jens

On 3/9/2018 4:39 PM, 'Spirit' via neonixie-l wrote:
Looks like all they've done so far is pop an existing IN-18 and refill it with their own mixture. That's fairly simple to do, but it won't run for long since they spoiled the getter.
Different noble gases in tubes would be amazing though.

Spirit

Mar 9, 2018, 9:35:48 PM3/9/18
to neonixie-l
It's a lot less work than making IN-18s from scratch, that's for sure.

Dekatron42

Mar 10, 2018, 6:39:06 AM3/10/18
to neonixie-l
Using Google Translate on their Facebook text you can see that they had to raise the voltage to some 500V for Xenon and 400V for Argon, if I understand it correctly they also mention that they are looking for a developer. Maybe it is time to ask them what they plan and how they are doing this?

/Martin

Dmitry Shevchenko

Apr 9, 2018, 3:04:37 AM4/9/18
to neonixie-l
Hello.
I'm a Dmitry Shevchenko, former engineer of LLC Vacuumglow
This technology was made by me and the glass blower.
As soon as I restored the technology - I was fired by Vadim.
You can see my post on radio-cat forum:
Now I search for investition.

jb-electronics

Apr 9, 2018, 11:59:41 AM4/9/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Nice video! I can only advise you to get in touch with Dalibor Farny!

One question: How did you manage to attach a stem to the IN-18 base without cracking it? It seems like a very risky operation to me, so kudos that you pulled that off!

Cheers
Jens

Terry Kennedy

Apr 9, 2018, 4:57:18 PM4/9/18
to neonixie-l
On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 11:59:41 AM UTC-4, Jens Boos wrote:
One question: How did you manage to attach a stem to the IN-18 base without cracking it? It seems like a very risky operation to me, so kudos that you pulled that off!

In his post on RadioKot, he said that half of the tubes cracked when heated, and also that there are problems with the seal of the pins to the glass.

Some years ago, someone was trying to sell some pieces of the IN-18 assembly line and an incomplete set of parts for making new tubes. It would make an interesting project for Dmitry or Dalibor if that stuff still exists...

Dmitry Shevchenko

Apr 10, 2018, 6:45:22 AM4/10/18
to neonixie-l
The art of combining the metal legs and the tube is owned by the master glass blower. Because it's the art of working with glass. :-)