Weird rectangular 6G-E12A Magic Eye tubes I found

Bill Notfaded

May 20, 2019, 11:56:34 AM5/20/19
to neonixie-l
I picked up some interesting Magic Eye tubes today.  I thought they looked a little different for a change because instead of being round like most of them they are rectangles.  I paid a little more than I had hoped but since they're unique what the heck right?  I'm hoping they aren't some really weird socket or pin arrangement so I can build something with them.  If anyone has used them and knows if they work the same as another more common tube it'd be interesting to me to find out.

Thanks,

Bill

s-l1600 (4).jpg

gregebert

May 20, 2019, 1:35:58 PM5/20/19
to neonixie-l
I've done a bit of experimenting with magic-eye tubes, and the sad fact is they have a rather short lifetime, on the order of a few hundred hours.
So if you are making a gizmo with these, buy plenty of spares and minimize the time they are energized.

I'm fairly certain the filament will long outlive the phosphor as long as you limit the inrush current.

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

May 21, 2019, 12:26:37 AM5/21/19
to neonixie-l
Oh wow, these are rather rare tubes! Lucky find

Oscilloclock

May 21, 2019, 9:30:05 AM5/21/19
to neonixie-l
Hi Bill, nice find!

Here is the data for that beauty. Hope it helps!

IMG_5705.jpg

- Aaron

Oscilloclock

May 21, 2019, 9:36:55 AM5/21/19
to neonixie-l
p.s. This is used in FM radios. The text explains that it's driven by the ratio detector (discriminator) output / limiter grid voltage. I'm not that familiar with valve FM radio circuits, but it may make sense to others on this group.

Jan Wuesten

May 21, 2019, 10:04:44 AM5/21/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Those are wanted spareparts for quite a few collectible FM tuners, it may be wise not to use thme in a project but rather let them be used as spares by people who need spares...

Am Di., 21. Mai 2019 um 15:36 Uhr schrieb Oscilloclock <in...@oscilloclock.com>:
p.s. This is used in FM radios. The text explains that it's driven by the ratio detector (discriminator) output / limiter grid voltage. I'm not that familiar with valve FM radio circuits, but it may make sense to others on this group.

Bill Notfaded

May 23, 2019, 10:01:51 AM5/23/19
to neonixie-l
Will do Jan... if you know someone that needs one let me know.  I'll be glad to make them a deal on one if they need it for a radio.

Bill

Mac Doktor

May 23, 2019, 8:47:31 PM5/23/19
to via neonixie-l

On May 23, 2019, at 10:01 AM, Bill Notfaded <notf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Will do Jan... if you know someone that needs one let me know.  I'll be glad to make them a deal on one if they need it for a radio.

Here are links to photos of some Pioneer and Sansui receivers that used them (below the schematic):

Someday when I get the right receiver and cartridge I'll be able to listen to the only CD-4 discrete quadraphonic LP in my collection—with my vintage quadraphonic headphones.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."—Roy Batty, Blade Runner

Bill Notfaded

May 23, 2019, 9:07:54 PM5/23/19
to neonixie-l
I had big heavy marrantz quadraphonic amp years ago.  It was huge and had 4 big blue lighted real needle level meters.  I used to use it to drive two sets of stereo speakers.  It had some real power for sure.  It had an add on module for expanded quadraphonic effect I remember with a knob dedicated on panel to the module.  I had these hand made JBL speakers with carved wood grills on them and 15" woofers on one side of the house and a set of old Bose 901s hanging on ceiling wall in other side of the house.  I almost wish I had never sold the amp now.  I've been looking for a new amp now.  A part of me wants a tube amp but another is pulling towards a modern class D design.

Bill