Anyone interested in an eight digit ZM1350 display?

Mahdi Al Husseini

Nov 29, 2019, 1:16:34 PM11/29/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi, everyone,

I'm working on an eight digit ZM1350 display with a multilayered black anodized aluminum and black acrylic exterior. I know eight ZM1350s are hard to come by, but would anyone be interested in purchasing one, fully assembled without tubes, to include the casing, for around $300.00? Just gauging interest. Technically you can use however many ZM1350s as you have available; eight for the full display.

Here's a GitHub repo with some pictures to check out more.

Thanks. I'm making it either way, but just looking to offset some production cost since min order is five.

Al

Richard Scales

Nov 29, 2019, 11:27:20 PM11/29/19
to neonixie-l
If I hadn't just made such a thing I might have been but I feel that my ZM1350 box is ticked. It does look like a great deal though.
Are you driving the decimal point on the displays or are you using the 'standard' ZM1350 Smart-Socket code which (as far as I can tell) does not?
I added the capability to drive the decimal points but, as it turns out - have yet to actually use them - I ended up using a whole tube for decimal point/colon/degree symbol etc.

Mahdi Al Husseini

Nov 29, 2019, 11:54:37 PM11/29/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Richard,

I saw your board - how nice! While the ZM1350 smart socket PCB on groupsio helped me recreate the panaplex footprint, I am building my own board in full, to include the decimal point functionality. Means of driving (PIC with discrete transistors) is pretty much the same though.

I noticed you used an 8266 and Arduino in tandem - I know exactly how you feel, and have done the same thing on occasion. I recently switched to the ESP32 and am quite glad for having done so; while the 8266 is an excellent microcontroller, it is just too pin limited. The susceptibility to program crashing also irritated me deeply.

Mahdi

Jon Jackson

Dec 1, 2019, 4:32:34 PM12/1/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mahdi,

I am interested, as I've got a dozen or so ZM1350s.

Jon J.

Mahdi Al Husseini

Dec 1, 2019, 6:02:00 PM12/1/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jon,

Great! I should have a fully assembled version by the end of the month, so you can see it finalized before deciding to commit.

Mahdi

Jon Jackson

Dec 1, 2019, 6:05:32 PM12/1/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Greg P

Dec 2, 2019, 9:13:47 PM12/2/19
to neonixie-l
Mahdi,

Any chance you'll make a version that will use 5971's?

Excellent.

Mahdi Al Husseini

Dec 3, 2019, 1:26:38 AM12/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Greg,

If there is enough collective interest yes, I could draft a board similar to the one built for ZM1350 and use the same style casing. If I can get three folks interested I could offset the production cost at a reasonable cost.

Mahdi

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/fd3b3215-7e1e-4406-b0f1-085f7178eff3%40googlegroups.com.

Greg P

Dec 3, 2019, 7:18:32 AM12/3/19
to neonixie-l
Please count me in for one.  I've been sitting on a stash of 5971's for a while.  I'd love to finally light them up.

Hopefully, there will be interest.

Nicholas Stock

Dec 3, 2019, 10:18:47 AM12/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I’ll throw my name into the ring too!

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 3, 2019, at 04:18, 'Greg P' via neonixie-l <neoni...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/715fc1bd-0e4d-4b2b-a4a2-8aff1ae0ecc2%40googlegroups.com.

Jon Jackson

Dec 3, 2019, 11:05:13 AM12/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for a B-5971 display (as well as the ZM1350). Got a bunch of B-5971s...

Mahdi Al Husseini

Dec 3, 2019, 11:33:31 AM12/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Ha, okay, sounds like I better start cracking away at it. 6 or 8 tube preference on the 5971 display?

Nicholas Stock

Dec 3, 2019, 11:41:04 AM12/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The more the merrier....my vote is for 8!

Sent from my iPhone

Jon Jackson

Dec 3, 2019, 11:41:05 AM12/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
An 8-tube B-5971 display is my preference.

Michail Wilson

Dec 3, 2019, 11:55:20 AM12/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

8 and/or modular to be able to expand units.

Here is my test of the B-5971 tubes – 11 Tubes.

https://i.imgur.com/AZMzejO.mp4

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

Nicholas Stock

Dec 3, 2019, 12:16:18 PM12/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Modular is good!

Sent from my iPhone

Greg P

Dec 3, 2019, 2:58:22 PM12/3/19
to neonixie-l
More tubes is always better.    Will your design be direct drive?

Paul

Dec 4, 2019, 2:18:24 PM12/4/19
to neonixie-l
I am interested in the ZM1350 version. I only have 6 tubes.
I might be interested in a B-5971 version depending on cost.
Thanks Paul

Mahdi Al Husseini

Dec 4, 2019, 3:57:34 PM12/4/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I’ll add an option where the acrylic covers the sockets for tubes 7 and 8. Same PCB so you can always switch acrylic plates and display all eight tubes, if you come across two more. Just let me know if that’s something you’d like to do.

Mahdi

Mahdi Al Husseini

Dec 4, 2019, 4:10:20 PM12/4/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg, sorry I missed your message. Can you explain what you mean by direct drive?

Greg P

Dec 4, 2019, 5:02:23 PM12/4/19
to neonixie-l
Mahdi,

Not multiplexed.

Direct drive digits or segments are always on and not pulsed at high speeds like in multiplexing.  Direct driven tubes typically are brighter and require less current.  Multiplexed designs are simpler and require less components which is cheaper.

I'm sure the folks here who are way smarter than me can give a better explanation, but hopefully you get the gist.

Mahdi Al Husseini

Dec 4, 2019, 5:45:16 PM12/4/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Greg,

You can check out the schematic on the associated GitHub Repo for details, but I am not using muxs or shift registers for the ZM1350 board. ESP32 --> PIC --> discrete transistor --> cathode pin.

That said, some of my previous designs have made extensive use of 7HC595s and 74141s

Mahdi

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/802a7287-dd1e-4292-8b0e-a378b72be604%40googlegroups.com.

Greg P

Dec 4, 2019, 6:57:39 PM12/4/19
to neonixie-l
Mahdi,

Gotcha.  Your design makes me happy then.

Nice work!

Mahdi Al Husseini

Dec 4, 2019, 8:24:04 PM12/4/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! And I appreciate the terminology clarification

Mahdi

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/dd41b245-d033-4be3-9cb1-f13d40bc7c3b%40googlegroups.com.