Something about imitation and flattery and...

David Forbes

Mar 3, 2015, 10:34:32 AM3/3/15
to neonixie-l

John Rehwinkel

Mar 3, 2015, 10:41:40 AM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
> http://www.glow-electro.com/nixie-watch.html

Imitation, indeed, but they do refer to you: 改良自David Forbes 設計之NIXIE WATCH輝光管手錶。

Pretty expensive too at 26,000元 (over four thousand US dollars).

Amusing.

- John

Nicholas Stock

Mar 3, 2015, 10:43:57 AM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
And if I'm not mistaken, the nixie tube clock listed there is Jonas' from TubeHobby.....

H. Carl Ott

Mar 3, 2015, 10:46:15 AM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
At least they spelled your name right.

carl

Nick

Mar 3, 2015, 10:49:26 AM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Imitation, indeed, but they do refer to you: 改良自David Forbes 設計之NIXIE WATCH輝光管手錶。

According to Google Translate, that means "Since David Forbes improvement of design NIXIE WATCH glow tube watch.".

So now you know...

Nick

Forfanatic Tsai

Mar 3, 2015, 12:04:50 PM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
It says "Improved from David Forbes' nixie watch design" in English, selling at NT$15,000(about 480 USD) each.....

Nick於 2015年3月3日星期二 UTC+8下午11時49分26秒寫道:

David Forbes

Mar 3, 2015, 12:19:44 PM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
From what I can see, they improved the amount of metal in the case, and
copied the circuit board 100% identically.

There is a Facebook page, too...

https://www.facebook.com/GlowElectroAccessories

A posting from October indicates some trouble with their transformer.
They could have just purchased the original Würth transformers like I did.

Nick

Mar 3, 2015, 12:23:19 PM3/3/15
On Tuesday, 3 March 2015 17:19:44 UTC, nixiebunny wrote:
From what I can see, they improved the amount of metal in the case, and
copied the circuit board 100% identically.

As we say in Blightly, aren't you just even a trifle miffed about this?

They've lifted all your IP, even to putting their name on the boards...

Nick

David Forbes

Mar 3, 2015, 12:43:58 PM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I am more amused than miffed. What am I going to do about it? Get bent
out of shape? I can't stop them... it would cost me about a year's
income to try.

When they show up in Wal-mart for USD200, then I'll be concerned.

On 3/3/15 10:23 AM, Nick wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 March 2015 17:19:44 UTC, nixiebunny wrote:
>
> From what I can see, they improved the amount of metal in the case,
> and
> copied the circuit board 100% identically.
>

> As we say in Blightly, aren't just even a trifle miffed about this?
>
> They've lifted all your IP, even to putting their name on the boards...
>
> Nick

Terry S

Mar 3, 2015, 1:55:40 PM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Blatant rip off. Interesting, I can't find the David Forbes reference.

And so for this watch, you need a tool and have to remove 6 fasteners to set the time or change the battery?

Terry.

Quixotic Nixotic

Mar 3, 2015, 5:09:13 PM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 3 Mar 2015, at 18:55, 'Terry S' via neonixie-l wrote:

Blatant rip off. Interesting, I can't find the David Forbes reference.

I put a sarky message on his faceache page.

Notwithstanding all that plagiarism, I quite like this watch design of his:

John S

David Forbes

Mar 3, 2015, 9:33:40 PM3/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
This Facebook page is is now gone, as is a post I made on Facebook
referring to it. Hmm.

The website is still there, though.