My latest project...

Bill Notfaded

Jan 12, 2020, 4:57:19 PM1/12/20
to neonixie-l
Do you think this can feed my Nixie clocks?

IMG_20200112_144742.jpg

Lots of work to get it going it's not locking reliably yet!

Check out this new FA-2 BG7TBL precision counter... Amazing digits in this little unit!

MVIMG_20200112_145209.jpg

Bill

I have an RB x72 standard in a symmetricom syncserver working on the cesium now... so many tantalum caps in there!  Also the HV is 33k V o.O!

Eventually I wanna feed some Nixie clocks with the cesium standard.

martin martin

Jan 12, 2020, 7:10:41 PM1/12/20
to neonixie-l
That's some serious resolution!  Where did you find it?

Bill Notfaded

Jan 12, 2020, 7:14:26 PM1/12/20
to neonixie-l
I got both from eBay Martin!  I've wanted a cesium standard for a long time.  The learning involved in all this has been a great experience for me.  Many of the voltnuts and timenuts are just like neonixie-l peeps... really good people!  I love all this stuff!

Bill

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAKYv7NRiaB-%3Da0orV1h_PdVN9tjQXkPRc6braEZvjn%2Bp8KgN5w%40mail.gmail.com.

Tom Van Baak

Jan 12, 2020, 10:52:36 PM1/12/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Do you think this can feed my Nixie clocks?

Bill, yes, have a look at: http://leapsecond.com/pages/atomic-nixie/

/tvb

gregebert

Jan 13, 2020, 5:48:09 PM1/13/20
to neonixie-l
It's really a matter of what you want for a reference. A Rubidium/Cesium/whatever reference will give you a very stable 10Mhz timing reference, but it *wont* give you the official time-of-day. Every so often, there are corrections to official world time and if you're using a stable timing reference you still have to code those changes into your clock.

When you use GPS or NTP, all of that global time update stuff is handled for you, but between updates your time will drift slightly though that amount of drift is probably milliseconds or less. It would be cool/amusing to monitor the drift in realtime versus a local atomic reference. I believe NTP monitors drift and attempts to correct for it and if drift is small enough it will periodically skip updates; my RasPi  is logging about 20 NTP updates overnight.

I recall some of the temp-controlled quartz-crystal ovens were holding +/- 0.1PPM , which is roughly 1 second per 100 days. Whereas an atomic source is on the order of 1 second per 30+ years .

Bill Notfaded

Jan 13, 2020, 6:08:40 PM1/13/20
to neonixie-l
Actually even crystal oscillators start to lose time in hours... A rubidium can holdover for days and a cesium can holdover for more days... None are perfect.  Cesium 133 resonates between different energy states 9,192,631,770 times each second with almost no variation. So a clock that ticks to that resonant frequency will be highly accurate. The National Institute of Technology's most accurate cesium clock, which along with a similar device in Paris is the most accurate in the world, will neither gain nor lose a second in 20 million years.
I was sorta joking really.  It's kinda like the cesium wrist watch you seen that one gregbert?

Bill

gregebert

Jan 14, 2020, 1:45:34 AM1/14/20
to neonixie-l
Definitely a must-have if you want to measure your time-dilation on a long airplane flight, or perhaps when climbing a very tall mountain ?

Bill Notfaded

Jan 14, 2020, 6:29:20 AM1/14/20
to neonixie-l
4sure!!!

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020, 11:45 PM gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Definitely a must-have if you want to measure your time-dilation on a long airplane flight, or perhaps when climbing a very tall mountain ?

GastonP

Jan 14, 2020, 9:06:39 AM1/14/20
to neonixie-l
Well, you would really need two of those in perfect sync at start time to do the time-dilation measurement. If you want to implement the second one you will need a method to compensate for the communication delay when you do the measurement in real time. And a really good back support.
However I can volunteer for the first one if someone provides the wristwatch and the plane tickets. And I get to keep the wristwacth as a memento :D