15 digit IV-17 VFD

Mitch

Mar 25, 2020, 7:54:11 AM3/25/20
to neonixie-l
The vexing problem I had with this design, is that the HK16K33s I/O lines are supposed to float on initialization, to change the slave address. But the inputs to the 74HC04s are held high for the digits, and low for the segments, so the address would not change. I ended up using a separate I2C bus for the second HK, and now everything works perfectly. I just have to build a few more tube boards, and add the rest of the APA106s.

IMG-0460.jpg

Mitch

Mar 25, 2020, 7:54:51 AM3/25/20
to neonixie-l
Sorry, 16 digits. I can't count this morning.

gregebert

Mar 25, 2020, 10:17:14 AM3/25/20
to neonixie-l
Can you provide the manufacturer part numbers for the header-sockets and pins you are using to mount the small PCB's to the motherboard ? I have not been able to hunt those down on Digikey's site and I'd like to use them for a future project.

Very nice job with the overall construction. What are the dimensions of the motherboard ?

Nicholas Stock

Mar 25, 2020, 11:14:11 AM3/25/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Looking good Mitch!

Greg, I've bought those sockets before off of eBay...

They fit standard double row 2.54mm pitch header pins that you can buy in lengths of 20/40 and cut to size...

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 7:17 AM gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Can you provide the manufacturer part numbers for the header-sockets and pins you are using to mount the small PCB's to the motherboard ? I have not been able to hunt those down on Digikey's site and I'd like to use them for a future project.

Very nice job with the overall construction. What are the dimensions of the motherboard ?

Michail Wilson

Mar 25, 2020, 11:48:26 AM3/25/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I want one.  J

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

Paul Andrews

Mar 25, 2020, 2:12:06 PM3/25/20
to neonixie-l

Nicholas Stock

Mar 25, 2020, 2:17:00 PM3/25/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
eBay is a lot cheaper.... :)

Richard Scales

Mar 25, 2020, 11:46:50 PM3/25/20
to neonixie-l
I want one too - and due to covid-cancelled flights I dont even have my eight digit one yet :-(
So, please do keep me on the list for a 16 digit version.

On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 18:17:00 UTC, Pramanicin wrote:
eBay is a lot cheaper.... :)

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:12 AM Paul Andrews <pa...@nixies.us> wrote:
Sockets: https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/rectangular-connectors-headers-receptacles-female-sockets/315?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv1790=9726&pv2024=9726&sf=0&FV=-1%7C35%2C1989%7C0%2C-8%7C315%2C69%7C411897&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

Pins: https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/rectangular-connectors-headers-male-pins/314?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv2018=9420&sf=0&FV=-1%7C35%2C1790%7C9726%2C1989%7C0%2C2024%7C9726%2C2025%7C15230%2C-8%7C314%2C2012%7C10579&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 10:17:14 AM UTC-4, gregebert wrote:
Can you provide the manufacturer part numbers for the header-sockets and pins you are using to mount the small PCB's to the motherboard ? I have not been able to hunt those down on Digikey's site and I'd like to use them for a future project.

Very nice job with the overall construction. What are the dimensions of the motherboard ?

Jon D.

Mar 26, 2020, 8:49:09 AM3/26/20
to neonixie-l
I would be interested in one of these IV-17 16-digit displays, too.

Jon D.

Mitch

Mar 26, 2020, 2:51:30 PM3/26/20
to neonixie-l
I got them on ebay. They are just 6 pin, dual row, 2.54mm spacing female headers. The male headers come in strips of 40, and are easily cut to size.

I'm finding that the brightness of the IV-17s is very inconsistent. At 30v one batch is perfectly bright, and at 45v, which is probably the maximium for the TBD62783 chips, another batch is not bright enough.

The board is 362mm x 67mm. There are twelve, SMD chips on the bottom. Six TBD62783s, two HT16K33s, three 74HC04s, and one 74HC125D. There are 1120 solder joints required just for the tubes and headers. The board in the picture is really hacked up. Updated boards are on order.

gregebert

Mar 26, 2020, 3:52:13 PM3/26/20
to neonixie-l
Can you measure the segment current ? For a given current, the brightness should be similar for tubes in the same condition. If not, there is a problem with manufacturing consistency. As VFDs age, they produce less luminous output. Some will develop visible dark bands nearest the filament(s), due to greater electron bombardment.

Mitch - You did a great job hiding your board where it's "really hacked up". Picture looks like a mature product that's been pulled off the assembly line.

Nicholas Stock

Mar 26, 2020, 3:57:55 PM3/26/20
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Mitch, I have noticed with some clocks that use either IV25 or IV26 VFD tubes (the dot matrix type ones) that they take a bit of time to stabilize/age/reach peak luminosity ...not sure if that's just dumb luck on my part or there's something to it....I'm sure someone else on the list knows more about them than I! I've definitely had segments that have looked dull to start with but after overnight use have gotten brighter....

Nick

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:52 PM gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Can you measure the segment current ? For a given current, the brightness should be similar for tubes in the same condition. If not, there is a problem with manufacturing consistency. As VFDs age, they produce less luminous output. Some will develop visible dark bands nearest the filament(s), due to greater electron bombardment.

Mitch - You did a great job hiding your board where it's "really hacked up". Picture looks like a mature product that's been pulled off the assembly line.

Mitch

Mar 27, 2020, 8:13:21 AM3/27/20
to neonixie-l
Greg, the board is hacked on the bottom. It doesn't look good, but it works. The next version will be perfect.

Brightness is definitely related to the batch. The 87s are the best. They are bright at 30v. The 90s are not nearly as bright at 35v or 45v. I'll run them at 45v for a few days to see if they improve.

Terry Kennedy

Mar 31, 2020, 9:44:04 PM3/31/20
to neonixie-l
On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 8:13:21 AM UTC-4, Mitch wrote:
Brightness is definitely related to the batch. The 87s are the best. They are bright at 30v. The 90s are not nearly as bright at 35v or 45v. I'll run them at 45v for a few days to see if they improve.

I have a huge number of IV-17 here, with matched date codes (likely several hundred of each date code). They were for a project that never got off the ground.

Alan Tan

Apr 1, 2020, 3:57:59 AM4/1/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry, if you're selling the IV-17s, let me how I can get a bunch off your hands?

Richard Scales

Mitch

Apr 5, 2020, 8:15:21 AM4/5/20
to neonixie-l
It appear that time, rather than a higher voltage, evens and increases the brightness of VFD displays. I tried 30, 35, and 45 volts. The difference in brightness with 45 volts was negligible, so I settled on using 35v.
IMG-0520.jpg

Richard Scales

Apr 5, 2020, 12:50:17 PM4/5/20
to neonixie-l
Looking excellent, are you far away from production boards for selling?