IN-8 lab model

jb-electronics

Mar 8, 2018, 5:34:48 PM3/8/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone ever seen these before? http://www.ebay.com/itm/183111928799

Cheers
Jens

Spirit

Mar 8, 2018, 6:07:51 PM3/8/18
to neonixie-l
These look like hand-made test tubes. On the back it says МАКЕТ(MAKET, duh) which translates to "MOCKUP" or "SAMPLE".
The stems are definitely hand-crushed, and the bases are very crooked. Red paint... maybe they were going after the western look originally, but decided otherwise for the final product?
The manufacturer mark suggests that it was made by МЭЛЗ(MELZ) - https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Московский_электроламповый_завод
No English version of the page available, but Google Translate should suffice.

Jeff Walton

Mar 8, 2018, 6:15:01 PM3/8/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have a number of fine grid IN-8 tubes but the ebay models look crude by comparison.  If memory serves correctly, mine are 1969 and 1970 date codes.

jb-electronics

Mar 8, 2018, 6:17:32 PM3/8/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Also I think these have the upside-down 2 as a 5, contrary to what the auction description says. Jens
To post to this group, send email to neoni...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/5aa1c3f1.06306b0a.48341.d0c7%40mx.google.com.

GastonP

Mar 9, 2018, 10:12:15 AM3/9/18
to neonixie-l
IN-8's have the normal 5 and not the upside down 2. This ones seem to also have the normal 5, but the red coating makes difficult to see clearly.
I have several (production run) of them, with the thick beehive grid from different recent (80's) datecodes and they were all made by Melz too.

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Mar 9, 2018, 2:53:44 PM3/9/18
to neonixie-l
Very interesting to see russian tubes with red painted glass!