Mod-Six inspired ZM1350 FLW

Kevin A.

Dec 20, 2019, 11:13:42 PM12/20/19
to neonixie-l
Just thought I'd share a project I'm currently working on. I've enjoyed the mod six 7971 clock for a while and was inspired to make a similar modular design using the telefunken ZM1350 panaplex, which has almost the same display area as a 7971 while being more compact in size. Of course, you can expect a full write up soon on my site ( neonkev.com ). This design will be fully open source, all schematics and board artwork included, once the project is completed.

As of now, I have just laid out the first revisions of each of the 3 boards: a CPU, TDU (tube driver unit), and PSU, complete with virtual fit checking.
rev1_assy_1.PNG
rev1_assy_2.PNG
rev1_assy_3.PNG
20191120_073243.jpg

Mahdi Al Husseini

Dec 21, 2019, 12:27:48 AM12/21/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Very nicely done! Looking forward to seeing continued progress

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 11:13 PM Kevin A. <ka...@scarletmail.rutgers.edu> wrote:
Just thought I'd share a project I'm currently working on. I've enjoyed the mod six 7971 clock for a while and was inspired to make a similar modular design using the telefunken ZM1350 panaplex, which has almost the same display area as a 7971 while being more compact in size. Of course, you can expect a full write up soon on my site ( neonkev.com ). This design will be fully open source, all schematics and board artwork included, once the project is completed.

As of now, I have just laid out the first revisions of each of the 3 boards: a CPU, TDU (tube driver unit), and PSU, complete with virtual fit checking.

Richard Scales

Dec 21, 2019, 6:22:57 AM12/21/19
to neonixie-l
Yep, I like that a lot. I have completed all work on mine, well, electronics and software and am now waiting for some Cherry wood that I have ordered so that I can make the housing. I am very pleased to report that the thing has been running faultlessly for some time now - not a hint of warmth from your most excellent HV power supply.

Kevin A.

Dec 21, 2019, 10:48:12 AM12/21/19
to neonixie-l
Thank you gentlemen. Richard, glad to hear that everything is working as intended! Looking forward to the finished product.

Kevin A.

Jan 7, 2020, 1:42:00 AM1/7/20
to neonixie-l
Some pictures after tonight's progress
20200107_013331.jpg
20200107_013531.jpg

Kevin A.

Jan 7, 2020, 1:42:30 AM1/7/20
to neonixie-l
CPU and PSU modules
20200107_013342.jpg
20200107_013350.jpg

Kevin A.

Jan 7, 2020, 1:45:28 AM1/7/20
to neonixie-l
Didn't notice the top text got cut off in the first pic. I thought the german lingo for "planar gas discharge display" would add to the funkiness.
20200107_013403.jpg

Mahdi Al Husseini

Jan 7, 2020, 1:47:56 AM1/7/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Impressively clean and compact!

Kevin A.

Jan 7, 2020, 1:53:52 AM1/7/20
to neonixie-l
Thank you! I like your custom zm1350 designs as well. Took some inspiration from here and there to fuel the creative process.

newxito

Jan 7, 2020, 2:09:02 AM1/7/20
to neonixie-l
Wow, that looks very professional! Congratulations!
Just a little hint: you have a small typo in the german text... should be Informationsanzeigeelement… it's hard to see in the datasheet

Richard Scales

Jan 7, 2020, 8:50:28 AM1/7/20
to neonixie-l
That is super professional - well done indeed.

So, who's got some ZM1350 they can spare then?

Kevin A.

Jan 7, 2020, 9:40:06 AM1/7/20
to neonixie-l
Thank you!

Yes the datasheet deceived me, they spelled it without the "i" on the page headers.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 2:09 AM newxito <axt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow, that looks very professional! Congratulations!
Just a little hint: you have a small typo in the german text... should be Informationsanzeigeelement… it's hard to see in the datasheet

Screenshot_20200107-093909_Drive.jpg

Mahdi Al Husseini

Feb 1, 2020, 6:38:52 PM2/1/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Kevin, are you still working on sharing your schematic and write-up? I would be quite excited to see it. I have a really interesting 4x3 array ZM1350 graduation cap planned, and need to conserve board space to make it happen (rows on rows of discrete transistors won't cut it!). There are absolutely elements of your design I would like to incorporate if possible

Kevin A.

Feb 2, 2020, 1:05:20 PM2/2/20
to neonixie-l
Mahdi, I've been working on the software but I can put up a draft about my progress with schematics and board layouts. I'll share the link here as soon as it is up!

Mahdi Al Husseini

Feb 2, 2020, 3:55:12 PM2/2/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Kevin A.

Feb 8, 2020, 2:00:57 PM2/8/20
to neonixie-l
Write up will be done today. It's been a busy week!

20200208_1074.mp4

Kevin A.

Feb 8, 2020, 10:30:12 PM2/8/20
to neonixie-l

Mahdi Al Husseini

Feb 8, 2020, 11:17:06 PM2/8/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant, thanks. I especially appreciate the use of both millmax and harwin connectors - never thought to do that!

Mahdi

Mahdi Al Husseini

Feb 8, 2020, 11:17:56 PM2/8/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The schematics with the black backdrops - were those developed in KiCad?

Kevin A.

Feb 8, 2020, 11:23:12 PM2/8/20
to neonixie-l
Yes those are in KiCad. I save them as pdf's but I invert the color scheme in my pdf viewer. I do a lot of my work at night so I like to minimize the brightness of what I'm viewing.

Paul Andrews

Feb 9, 2020, 7:35:17 AM2/9/20
to neonixie-l
A couple of questions:

1. What is the additional card on the CPU section that would mount on the 2x4 header?
2. Did you try mounting the ZM1350 directly into mill-max sockets before deciding on the specific mounting scheme you use?

Jon D.

Feb 9, 2020, 8:27:44 AM2/9/20
to neonixie-l
Really superb documentation and web page !!  A pleasure to look at and drool over.

Jon J.

Kevin A.

Feb 9, 2020, 1:38:32 PM2/9/20
to neonixie-l
The extra board is an NRF24L01 dongle. I plan to use this radio for wireless accessories planned for the future, such as a motion sensor and remote control for the menu system. Since the ESP32 has WiFi/Bluetooth on board, the microcontroller's internal radio will be used for getting NTP to update the internal DS3232 RTC periodically.

I tried to lay out the tube driver board using just the mill max pins in plated through holes. However, even with 4 layers, the physical ZM1350 pinout chops up a lot of room for running traces. I did not want to widen the board for aesthetic purposes, so I had to figure out another way to make room for trace routing. I came up with this surface mount style of interface so I did not have to break up all the copper planes with through holes.

Trickiest part is soldering on the Harwin connectors. There are no physical locating features on the board, because that would also require drilling through. There is only a small annulus on the top copper to visually align the circular body of the Harwin connector. Each one has to be hand soldered carefully to make sure it is in the right position. A glass of wine definitely helps to steady your hands!

Kevin A.

Feb 9, 2020, 1:41:37 PM2/9/20
to neonixie-l
Thank you Jon. It's a labor of love!

Kevin A.

Apr 18, 2020, 1:02:56 AM4/18/20
to neonixie-l
A peek at some of the progress! This venture has been so time consuming I've hardly had a moment to update my site. Full post to come soon:

20200408_102858.jpg

Kevin A.

Apr 18, 2020, 1:07:05 AM4/18/20
to neonixie-l
3D design of the case I've been envisioning. All clear panels will be 1/8" glass. The rest of the metalwork will be aluminum. It uses an off-the-shelf hinge from Sugatsune, model HG-T30S15.

The planned finish right now is something special. Originally I wanted the metalwork to be anodized but I've since discovered something which will give it a very unique appearance.
close_up_1.PNG
img_1.PNG
img_2.PNG
img_3.PNG
img_4.PNG

Michail Wilson

Apr 18, 2020, 1:11:13 AM4/18/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

That’s fucking great.

Unfortunately I don’t have any of those tubes even if you sold a kit version of it.  L

Great job!

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

Kevin A.

Apr 18, 2020, 1:28:03 AM4/18/20
to neonixie-l
Thank you!

I've got a friend who is helping with the metalwork; if we can pull this project off we have just enough tubes to sell one complete turn-key unit. No promises but it is all in the works!