What is this connector called?

jb-electronics

Sep 26, 2018, 8:14:05 PM9/26/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Hello friends,

I am currently setting up a new way of photographing Nixie tubes which will hopefully result in better quality pictures. To that end, I am also considering using different connectors to the Nixie tube pins. I was thinking about these:

P5003 10Pcs Mini IC Test Hook Clip Jumper Probe Logic
        Analyzer Testing Accessories - Measurement & Analysis
        Instruments Digital Multimeters & Oscilloscopes - 10 x P5003
        10Pcs Mini Grabber SMD

    https://www.amazon.com/P5003-Jumper-Analyzer-Testing-Accessories/dp/B07FQLHTBM/

I have no idea what they are called in technical terms, and the Amazon listing is also kind of vague. I am asking since I want to purchase these at Digikey or Mouser along with a bunch of other components, but it is hard to look for these without having the proper term.

Can anybody help? It is greatly appreciated!

Best wishes
Jens

Terry S

Sep 26, 2018, 8:33:22 PM9/26/18
to neonixie-l
Typically referred to as micro-grabbers.

Charles MacDonald

Sep 26, 2018, 8:43:16 PM9/26/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, jb-electronics
On 18-09-26 08:14 PM, jb-electronics wrote:

> P5003 10Pcs Mini IC Test Hook Clip Jumper Probe Logic Analyzer Testing
> Accessories - Measurement & Analysis Instruments Digital Multimeters &
> Oscilloscopes - 10 x P5003 10Pcs Mini Grabber SMD
>
> https://www.amazon.com/P5003-Jumper-Analyzer-Testing-Accessories/dp/B07FQLHTBM/
>
> I have no idea what they are called in technical terms, and the Amazon
> listing is also kind of vague.

I find the same item on Banggood, a chinese site BUT they have a brand
name...
DANIU P5003 10Pcs Mini Grabber SMD IC Test Hook Clip Jumper Probe Logic
Analyzer Testing Accessories

https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-P5003-10Pcs-Mini-Grabber-SMD-IC-Test-Hook-Clip-Jumper-Probe-Logic-Analyzer-Testing-Accessories-p-1108653.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Amazon is probably just listing these as a front for the Chinese
seller, they same term also shows up on e-bay and both Amazon.com and
Amazon.ca

DANIU is not a digi-key supplier, in fact if you look on amazon they
sell almost all kinds of stuff.

--
Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca Just Beyond the Fringe

John Rehwinkel

Sep 26, 2018, 10:07:49 PM9/26/18
to 'Grahame' via neonixie-l

gregebert

Sep 27, 2018, 2:06:59 AM9/27/18
to neonixie-l
I've seen 2 types of grabbers
  • Cheaper ones that are a simple 'J' shape to reach around a pin. They work fairly well with 0.1" pitch devices.  I got a bunch of these with an HP Logic Analyzer.
  • Similar to the picture above, almost like a pair of arms that hug the pin. With some patience, you can grab onto 0.05" pitch devices. They hold-on very well and once they are secured they wont short against adjacent pins.
The only drawback is that these grabbers require a jumper-wire to be connected, and they pop-off easily.

Paul Andrews

Sep 27, 2018, 4:07:55 AM9/27/18
to neonixie-l
You often find these for sale at vintage radio swap meets, with or without leads attached.

Nick

Sep 27, 2018, 4:20:18 AM9/27/18
to neonixie-l
For lower-speed use cases, i.e. < 50MHz, I solder these to a ribbon cable which is then terminated in an IDC connector. I intersperse GND and signal lines.

I then have a similar connector (opposite gender) going to the logic analyser.

Big plus is that I can disconnect a DUT easily, i.e. have several on the go at once.

I got the idea from the Digilent Analog Discovery 2 and DIgital DIscovery  which has similar probe s

Nick