16 IN-18 tubes hooked up to ONE nixie power NCH6300HV

Aiden Fang

Oct 31, 2020, 3:33:26 AM10/31/20
to neonixie-l
I got my new power supply today, so I was able to do further tests myself on the brand new NCH6300HV module.

Input voltage: 12V (measured at 11.7V when live)
Current: 1.158A
Anode resistors: 6.8K

Yeah, 16 of them off one 6300! 😎

Kickstarter launching next week:
https://nch6300hv.omnixie.com

AF4_0995ps copy2.jpg

gregebert

Oct 31, 2020, 10:20:20 AM10/31/20
to neonixie-l
Nice work! Have your probed-around with a laser thermometer to see the hot-spots ?

Dekatron42

Oct 31, 2020, 6:25:49 PM10/31/20
to neonixie-l
How many IN18 does it work with in a multiplexed design if I want the same light output from the IN18 as if it was driven in static mode?

How well does it handle load variation, any tests that you can show?

/Martin

严泽远

Nov 1, 2020, 3:44:28 AM11/1/20
to neonixie-l

Hi Martin, I did some test with ITECH IT8512B+ electronic load on continuous dynamic mode, current rise slope 100mA/us, level A=60mA, level B=0, frequnce=100Hz, duty=50%, the NCH6300HV works well with 12VDC input, and the ouput looks stable.
The number of IN-18 depends on the anode pulse current of the tube and duty cycle you designed, I never using multiplexed design for Nixie project, but give me specific working parameters and I can run some more tests.
Yan.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Dekatron42

Nov 1, 2020, 6:22:47 AM11/1/20
to neonixie-l
I don't have a proper design, I was interested in how many IN-18 that could be driven in multiplexed mode since that is in some situations an easier way to go drive-wise before I decide to use a multiplexed design.

Will it be possible to go up to 300V?

Will you provide a connection for the pulse output so that an external voltage doubler/tripler can be attached for those who want higher voltages, like in the Moorrees and Tayloredge nixie power supplies?

/Martin

严泽远

Nov 1, 2020, 7:57:38 AM11/1/20
to neonixie-l
I don't have any experience with driving in the multiplexed mode for nixies, but I think you don't need 300v for that, just lower the anode resistor then you will get higher brightness for dynamic scanning.
There's a precise potentiometer on the board, you will get 100-230v output can be used for most Nixie applications, that would require some other kind of power module if you need 300V output or more, no power module can meet all application requirements ;)

Dekatron42

Nov 1, 2020, 8:48:48 AM11/1/20
to neonixie-l
Yes, 300V is for the old GR10G to light up properly, they work better at 250V and above.

Adding an external voltage doubler/tripler is a nice option to drive these GR10G and possibly also dekatrons.

/Martin

Kevin A.

Nov 2, 2020, 2:17:27 AM11/2/20
to neonixie-l
The psu performance for a muxed application could empirically be determined given 2 conditions:

- peak anode current
- multiplexing frequency

What are your target numbers for those 2 values?

I could do some dynamic load testing with my b2902a smu on this power supply. I would basically program the smu to provide normal constant voltage on the low voltage input, and then write an arbitrary waveform for the load to replicate the current and frequency of the muxed tubes. The smu can then replicate the load waveform on the power supply. It will also digitize the voltage and current on both channels to really show what the power supply is doing on both ends.

Paul Andrews

Nov 2, 2020, 7:45:55 AM11/2/20
to neonixie-l

Hi Martin. Have you tried a voltage multiplier with the raw output of the secondary on a fly back converter? My experience has been that you don’t get what you expect. I.e. if your smoothed DC output is 150V and you add a voltage doubler to the raw output from the secondary, you will not get a smoothed 300V DC. Someone on here explained why a while ago. Greg maybe?

I’m seriously interested to know what other people’s experience of this is.

Dekatron42

Nov 2, 2020, 9:23:41 AM11/2/20
to neonixie-l
I've tried a lot of stuff/solutions but so far I haven't found a single power supply, that is sold, that produces these voltages directly, all need an external voltage doubler/tripler. With the kit from Michael Moorrees you can add a doubler/tripler very easy, look a bit further down on his webpage here: https://threeneurons.wordpress.com/nixie-power-supply/hv-supply-kit/ (an external solution, he also has a larger voltage multipler for use with for instance the IEE NIMOs) or with the Tayloredge PSUs you can do something similar but there is no pin available so you'll have to solder a wire to get to the pulse output: https://www.shop-tes.com/1554-hvps-horizontal-smt-high-voltage-low-noise/.

I could make a new PCB and add all components on it (even thought about making a cut-out that would fit for the original PSUs from Moorrees or Tayloredge and just add the other parts) but I'd really prefer a PSU that had it all on the same PCB.

I have understood that it is a real challenge to make a PSU with these voltages unless they use a doubler/tripler design, but I still hope that someone is up to that challenge. There is a linear voltage regulator here: https://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/2012/10/20/600v-feedback-regulator-finished/ that I haven't had time to build and test yet, but it looks very good and you can follow the design on the blog.

/Martin

Paul Andrews

Nov 2, 2020, 12:19:21 PM11/2/20
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Michael Moorees design is a boost converter, and I have successfully added a voltage multiplier to those. However I have not successfully added a voltage multiplier to the raw output of the secondary of a fly back converter.

Sent from my iPad

Dekatron42

Nov 2, 2020, 1:48:00 PM11/2/20
to neonixie-l
Ah, yes it is.

The Tayloredge is a "Flyback Boost Converter" according to the datasheet and I know that there is an extra add-on that you can use to get higher voltages (it has been discussed here on the forum) - so it might be possible to add it to these designs too.

/Martin
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to neoni...@googlegroups.com.

Kevin A.

Nov 2, 2020, 3:32:01 PM11/2/20
to neonixie-l
300 volts is easily done with a transformer type setup that already accommodates 200. If the main switching mosfet can handle higher back emf, the primary to secondary isolation of the transformer is rated for >300, and the output capacitors can handle >300, then the feedback resistor network can be changed to increase the regulated high voltage output.

If you need 300 volts for the gr10g, just run a higher value anode resistor for the in18s at 300 volts and it should be fine.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/70487327-4217-44f1-9f15-2b810061a59eo%40googlegroups.com.

Paul Andrews

Nov 2, 2020, 4:03:12 PM11/2/20
to neonixie-l
And one more: If the output diode can handle >300V.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/70487327-4217-44f1-9f15-2b810061a59eo%40googlegroups.com.

Kevin A.

Nov 2, 2020, 4:48:24 PM11/2/20
to neonixie-l
Yup, forgot about that one!

You would find out rather quickly if the diode couldn't handle it too ;)

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/4bdde690-8038-4b65-8215-3c6c5df5a7edo%40googlegroups.com.