Raytheon nixie glow

Ben W

Feb 8, 2017, 1:07:14 AM2/8/17
to neonixie-l

Does anyone have Raytheon tubes they've worked with? I just picked up some CK8037's (replacement for Burroughs B5031) and they are so heavily doped with mercury the numerals glow almost white-blue. Quite beautiful! Anyone ever seen nixies like this? My pictures don't do it justice.

Ben W

Feb 8, 2017, 1:34:25 AM2/8/17
to neonixie-l

Here's a better picture with some non-mercury IN-2's to compare.

gregebert

Feb 8, 2017, 9:21:13 AM2/8/17
to neonixie-l
Make sure you are running at the correct current. I've the same effect when running a 5031 at much higher current in a failed attempt to depoison it.

Ben W

Feb 8, 2017, 9:31:56 AM2/8/17
to neonixie-l
I can't find any datasheet for the raytheon but I assume the specs are the same as the 5301 since they are meant to replace them? In which case the current is correct...they even struggle to turn on when cold at this current...I will double-check though. I have 2.5mA at 170V at the moment.

gregebert

Feb 8, 2017, 10:27:57 AM2/8/17
to neonixie-l
2.5mA sounds about right; must be the gas mixture/mercury that causes the color.

chuck richards

Feb 8, 2017, 12:41:51 PM2/8/17
to greg...@hotmail.com, neoni...@googlegroups.com
That's a very common color seen in tubes with mercury added.
The ones I notice it the most with are the small side-view
tubes such as NL-5853, or B-5853.

The non-mercury tubes glow a much stronger orange, without the
blue haze. My examples of that are NL-6844A, NL-5971, NL-7153.

Chuck
>>--
>>To view this discussion on the web, visit
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/677bc6d8-de2a-476a-88cb-
>fa5e12a2af30%40googlegroups.com.

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!

MichaelS

Feb 8, 2017, 7:33:33 PM2/8/17
to neonixie-l
I played around with some Raytheon tubes a long time ago and they seemed to take a little longer to run properly and be a bit more particular about having enough current.  Check for datasheets on Nocrotec.com.

They're nice tubes though.  Raytheon seemed to claim to me more reliable for what it's worth.

chuck richards

Feb 8, 2017, 7:54:39 PM2/8/17
to michael...@gmail.com, neoni...@googlegroups.com
Raytheon had a lot of military contracts as far as I know.
That right there would make sense for their superior reliability.

Probably a larger R&D budget than most other manufacturers.
More long-term testing. More thorough and harsh than some others,
most
likely.

Chuck

Nick

Feb 8, 2017, 8:45:39 PM2/8/17
to neonixie-l
Could just be that there is a bit more argon in the mix than usual.

That would account for a more bluey-white than orange glow...

There is a limit to the effect that adding more Hg gives

Nick

threeneurons

Feb 8, 2017, 8:52:45 PM2/8/17
to neonixie-l, michael...@gmail.com, chu...@all2easy.net
Raytheon had a lot of military contracts as far as I know.
That right there would make sense for their superior reliability.

Chuck

Raytheon, today, is nothing but a large defense contractor. All this coming up from their humble beginnings with products like this B-H tube:

I have a few Raytheon dekatrons of 3 different models. But no Raytheon nixies.

Ben W

Feb 9, 2017, 2:23:10 AM2/9/17
to neonixie-l
This would make sense! Although, I thought this also meant they were rated for many G's of vibrational force, but I experienced a problem whereas if one accidentally rolls off the desk for instance, the resulting shock can cause the tiny wires of some of the numerals to short together internally, and only careful flicking of the tube in the right direction manages to "unstick" them...certainly not very robust by military standards.

Roddy Scott

Feb 10, 2017, 2:28:11 PM2/10/17
to neonixie-l
When three of my CV5278 tubes rolled of my bench there was not that much left to flick. Concrete is a bit unforgiving to such delicate items.

Ben W

Feb 13, 2017, 12:07:21 PM2/13/17
to neonixie-l
Carpet is your friend!

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Feb 13, 2017, 4:54:27 PM2/13/17
to neonixie-l
Or a small wooden line at the table, keeps items from falling down of liquids from running over. These are often seen on ships or laboratories

Quixotic Nixotic

Feb 13, 2017, 5:25:18 PM2/13/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I used the acrylic socket idea in my mini one tube IN18 clock. It formed part of the top of the case.

DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
in-18_main.png

Paul Andrews

Feb 14, 2017, 7:14:29 AM2/14/17
to neonixie-l
I'm a big acrylic fan. The finished clock looks nice too.