PIR sensor- what's your favourite?

Max DN

Apr 18, 2022, 7:18:14 AM4/18/22
to neonixie-l
Hello,

Looking for a suggestion for a simple PIR sensor to add to my clock which will use precious Dalibor R568M, so saving display time when nobody is around.

What is your favourite PIR sensor?

I purchased some DS203 but they need an amplifier. I then purchase a simple module AM312 from Ali and it works just fine, sensitive up to about 2.5m with a fresner lens. The sensor seems just the same as DS203 but there is no marking on the case.

Could the PIR sensor on the AM312 module be RE200B?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Max

newxito

Apr 18, 2022, 9:33:21 AM4/18/22
to neonixie-l
I use the BL412 mini PIR

Picture1.png

I use the mini version because I made a 3 in 1 module that includes PIR, GPS and temperature sensor.
Since this thing is connected with an ugly cable to the clock, I'm currently working on a wireless version that eliminates the cable and handles all the clocks in the same room.
Maybe later I will add more sensors like humidity or CO2...

gregebert

Apr 18, 2022, 10:14:29 AM4/18/22
to neonixie-l
I just bought a pack-of-5 from a seller on Ebay for 10 USD. They run off +5 VDC, and the output signal is TTL-compatible (0 to 3.3 VDC), so it will work with devices operating at 3.3V or 5V.  There are many sellers of this particular module, and plenty of info is available online.

Max DN

Apr 18, 2022, 10:38:48 AM4/18/22
to neonixie-l
BL412 seems a good one as very simple. The circuitry around HR-501 is simple enough but quite a few components as I want to embed the circuit into my PCB, however it does have more options to adjust sensitivity etc. I was also checking Panasonic EKMC1601111 which is used on the Scope Clock Due that I purchased Grahame (Sgitheach, I believe he's in this group too). It doesn't require any ancillary components (other than a bypass capacitor and a resistor), but it's quite expensive about about $10 or more.

I also find interesting the microwave sensor (plenty of options, I was checking HW-MS03), although it require very careful PCB decign (what a piece of engineering that is!) and I suppose it means that the enclosure of the electronics cannot be made of aluminium or stainless steel. This has the advantage of being more sensitive although microwaves travel across wall so perhaps too sensitive for a clock.

Struggling to find the balance between simple design without it being overkill and something that does the job well.

So many options.

Paul Andrews

Apr 18, 2022, 12:12:00 PM4/18/22
to neonixie-l
I use this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/183928551928 - a XYC-WB-DC. The range is around 6m, so they are useful either for big rooms, or if you want to hide the sensor behind a solid cover. You can adjust the range, if you can find any suitable docs for it. Here is one image that shows some adjustments that can be made: https://www.faranux.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Microwave-Sesnor-DC-.jpg

A lot of people have problems with 'false' triggers that they assume are because of noisy power supplies. This may be true, but my most successful use of one of these is in a module that is a couple of feet away from any electronics - I suspect that they are triggered by stray EM radiation. Another possible cause is that these things see through walls and are pretty sensitive. Best thing is to buy a bunch of different movement sensors and see what works best for you.

All my clocks use espressif WiFi chips, so I broadcast triggers to all the clocks in the same room, so I only need one sensor in each room.

Max DN

Apr 18, 2022, 12:25:05 PM4/18/22
to neonixie-l
Thanks Paul. I was checking out this RCWL-0515 circuit, very similar and super cool. Way beyond my understanding other than I see the layout around the transmitter / receiver antenna(s) is key.

Max Di Noi

May 26, 2022, 4:11:36 AM5/26/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hello, does anyone have an open source design for a microwave motion sensor?

The schematics are easily found and the assembled modules are super cheap but I wanted to embed it in my pcb design and the layout of antenna / receiver has to be extremely precise as it's normally running at 3Ghz...

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Max

ZY

May 27, 2022, 7:40:41 AM5/27/22
to neonixie-l
I use the  EKMC7607112K mainly because it's lens makes it easy to make flush with a case, and it's black instead of white so it's a bit less ugly.

Attached is an example, the sensor is in the top right corner.

im3.jpg

Max Di Noi

May 29, 2022, 5:33:42 AM5/29/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi, yes, that seems to be a good range and can be plugged in directly into the micro controller pin, I believe it has a digital output (with an embedded amplifier I suppose?).

I have a scope clock purchased here (http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/scope3.html , Grahame has done a great job and he’s extremely helpful when needed), it uses PIR EKMC1601111, works really well.

I’m just seeing whether I can replicate the complex pcbs layout of a microwave motion sensor… Obviously pros and cons of microwave vs PIR.