Putting ZM1350 behind perspex

Richard Scales

Oct 11, 2019, 2:28:24 AM10/11/19
to neonixie-l
I have a project where I will be using ZM1350's in Smart-Sockets. I have used Harwin socket pins on the sockets and the ZM1350's are easy to insert and remove.
Because they are easy to remove I want to put a perspex front on the device to stop them falling out!
I was going to use clear perspex / Acrylic but I find that I can also get red and orange tinted perspex as well as red and orange 'florescent'.
I was just wondering if anyone in the group had an experience or opinions on this and the suitability of using coloured instead of clear?
Thank you all.

Richard

John Smout

Oct 11, 2019, 3:43:20 AM10/11/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yes I have used some of the orange translucent acrylic in the past. It improves the contrast somewhat.

newxito

Oct 11, 2019, 5:09:21 AM10/11/19
to neonixie-l

I've done a few tests in the past. With the acrylic that I got, the result was as follow:

translucent red: converts the orange glow to red, reduces contrast and brightness

translucent orange: keeps the orange glow, slightly improves contrast, maintains brightness

translucent brown: keeps the orange glow, slightly reduces contrast and brightness

Tidak Ada

Oct 11, 2019, 7:14:03 AM10/11/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Ever thought at polaroid film?

Enhances the contrast significant because of reduction of the incident licht, does not affect the color and as a slight reduction of the brightness.

There are  even light colored Pola-foils A long time ago I bought a red Polaroid filter from Monsanto for enhancement of -in that time weak lighting- LED-displays

eric

Richard Scales

Oct 11, 2019, 11:37:35 AM10/11/19
to neonixie-l
Thank you all for your feedback.

I have ordered up some samples of translucent Orange and Florescent Orange (whatever that is) and will perform some tests. If I can get my act together I'll post pictures here.

Nicholas Stock

Oct 11, 2019, 11:58:56 AM10/11/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
What’s wrong with clear? Why hide the ZM1350? The old instruments that used these had filters etc and I think that’s a shame as you don’t get to see the inner ‘workings’.....just my 2 cents....:-)

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Scales

Oct 11, 2019, 12:47:29 PM10/11/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
My initial thought was to go for clear. I am only trying to find out whether there may be any benefit or perceived advantage in using the tints.
I'll post results of testing.
Sent from my Huawei phone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/C457BDBA-DEA6-4194-BC69-E58D7041473C%40gmail.com.