Re: [neonixie-l] Rodan CD47 Power Supply

Message has been deleted

Kevin A.

Mar 16, 2021, 2:02:30 PM3/16/21
to neonixie-l
I would think that the one of the popular NHC nixie supplies could power a single CD47. I've seen the rated anode current rated around 25ma.

I would use 12 volts to supply the HV power supply, then adjust the supply up to 230 volts output and start with a 10K 1 watt anode resistor. Use a multimeter in series to check the current and lower the resistor slowly (1K at a time) to get it at least up to 20ma.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021, 1:44 PM meganie8 <meg...@msn.com> wrote:

Any recommendations for a cheap power supply powerful enough to run a Rodan CD47 for test purposes? Shipping from the EU would be prefered.

20210316_181503.jpg20210316_181529.jpg

martin martin

Mar 16, 2021, 2:03:10 PM3/16/21
to neonixie-l

gregebert

Mar 16, 2021, 2:31:42 PM3/16/21
to neonixie-l
A cheap supply is fine for testing, but I would use a custom-designed supply with all sorts of safety features to operate these priceless tubes.

Paul Andrews

Mar 16, 2021, 3:45:51 PM3/16/21
to neonixie-l
I run mine at 176V with a 1.8K 2W anode resistor. The actual maintenance voltage on mine is around 130V, not the 160V on Dieter's site. The maximum strike voltage quoted on these is 200V, so testing at 230V is not a bad idea, but I would go with a 3.9k, 3W resistor at that voltage, which you may need to drop as low as 2.7k.

fax_awd

Mar 19, 2021, 4:45:15 AM3/19/21
to neonixie-l
off topic btw...CD47 on ebay right now..https://www.ebay.com/itm/193974592019

Nicholas Stock

Mar 19, 2021, 11:01:01 AM3/19/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
$3000 Euro?? Really??

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 19, 2021, at 01:45, fax_awd <lauki...@hotmail.com.hk> wrote:

off topic btw...CD47 on ebay right now..https://www.ebay.com/itm/193974592019

gregebert

Mar 19, 2021, 11:02:19 AM3/19/21
to neonixie-l
Already gone....someone paid a whopping 3500 USD for it. That's what I call an addict.

Kevin A.

Mar 19, 2021, 11:04:17 AM3/19/21
to neonixie-l
That is insane. Would I trade one for 20-30 B7971s? Definitely not.

But again, its only worth what someone's willing to pay for it...

Mac Doktor

Mar 19, 2021, 1:23:11 PM3/19/21
to neonixie-l

On Mar 19, 2021, at 11:02 AM, gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Already gone....someone paid a whopping 3500 USD for it. That's what I call an addict.

O_O

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”–Philip K. Dick, I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon

Kevin A.

Mar 19, 2021, 6:45:00 PM3/19/21
to neonixie-l
I've heard that CD47s are likely to leak, something about the base seal not being the best quality. Desc. in that auction says "unable to test". Imagine paying 3000 euro for a nixie tube that doesn't even work.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021, 4:45 AM fax_awd <lauki...@hotmail.com.hk> wrote:
off topic btw...CD47 on ebay right now..https://www.ebay.com/itm/193974592019

Paul Andrews

Mar 20, 2021, 8:49:17 AM3/20/21
to neonixie-l
Where did you hear that?

Kevin A.

Mar 21, 2021, 12:24:33 AM3/21/21
to neonixie-l
A late friend of mine who was quite a nixie addict.

He was inches away from flying to Europe for a set of CD47s before the deal fell through. He was no less 'particular' about nixies than the nuttiest among us, and had spoken with many folks (I don't know any names) while on the hunt for these giant Japanese tubes.

He was very keen on building a tester to check each tube during the planned transaction, as he caught wind of the fact that these tubes were prone to outgassing from original manufacturing defects.

It's all hearsay, but if anyone has a stockpile of CD47s and can corroborate, feel free to speak up!