A Custom machined case and electronics with Tubes from Dalibor.

Richard Scales

Jun 14, 2022, 7:36:52 AM6/14/22
to neonixie-l
I am posting this on behalf of the creator of this piece, I laid out the electronics for it and he came up with the concept and the precision machined case - so it's actually his project.

From an initial post elsewhere:
"Hi everyone,
I would like to present my first Nixie clock design. My goal was to think outside the box and to do something different to what I have seen until now.

All the housing parts are custom and made in Germany. They were machined from aluminum blocks using CNC mill & lathe. The surfaces of the aluminum parts were anodized for protection and to achieve the characteristic dark grey tone.

The size of the clock seen from the front is approximately 0.5 meters.

The electronics are mounted from the bottom of the housing. The cover enclosing the electronics is made from clear polycarbonate to allow a connection to Wi-Fi if desired.
Richard Scales has done a great job in developing the electronics. They consist of a main board, six sockets and six ribbon cables with connectors and is a development of the ‘PRISM’ open source design by Ian Sparkes. The electronics are feature rich and include WiFi connection, NTP sync, optional RTC, Web GUI, Anti Cathode poisoning, configurable tube underlighting and optional PIR connection for motion activation.

Below the BOM for this project:
-1x Housing + screws
-1x Electronic board
-6x Sockets
-6x Ribbon cables
-6x Tubes RZ568M
-1x Charger (12VDC,2A)

Anyone interested in this unique DIY Nixie clock project do not hesitate in letting me know. I can gladly provide all the housing parts and point you in the right direction to get the rest of components needed."

Anyone interested in this project could PM me in the first instance and I will pass the details on.

- Richard

P1.jpgP2.jpgP3.jpgP4.jpgP5.jpgP6.jpgP7.jpgP8.jpgP9.jpgP10.jpgP11.jpgP12.jpg

blkadder

Jun 14, 2022, 10:08:21 AM6/14/22
to neonixie-l
That is one amazing looking clock.  I would be interested to know what the case would go for.  Hell, I am interested in what a clock like this might cost.  Great work all around, for sure.

nixie kunst

Jun 14, 2022, 5:03:04 PM6/14/22
to neonixie-l
Hello blkadder,

Thank you for your message and your interest!

I have designed the housing of the above mentioned nixie clock. The complete housing including aluminum parts, polycarbonate cover and a set of screws costs 1970 USD (1600€) plus shipping. Richard Scales did a great job at developing the electronics. They consists of a main board, sockets and ribbon cables and the approximate price is 290 USD (200£) plus shipping. The nixie tubes RZ568M must be purchased from Dalibor separately.

This is an attempt to offer a unique looking clock design with a similar or better quality as the nixie clocks found in galleries or auctions but for a much friendlier budget. The assembly is quite simple and straight forward. All the electronic parts have connectors to plug them together.

In case of any further questions please do not hesitate in letting me know.

Paul Andrew Lafranchise

Jun 14, 2022, 9:26:16 PM6/14/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Wow, it's beautiful! And massive--the can for perspective really drove the size home for me. Great work on both your parts.

严泽远

Jun 14, 2022, 10:57:26 PM6/14/22
to neonixie-l
Nice job, I like it, looks very solid ;)

Richard Scales

Jun 14, 2022, 11:39:02 PM6/14/22
to neonixie-l
I've not had hands on the housing myself but I suspect 'solid' is  avery good description!
- Richard