Vintage Electronic device with Nixies, need help identifying.

Victor Dekhtyar

Oct 17, 2021, 3:13:11 PM10/17/21
to neonixie-l
Hey all!
I recently picked up this device from a yard sale for $10. It's pretty rare to see nixie tube equipment in my area so it was an instant buy from me.

The problem is I have no idea what this equipment does or what a dual preset controller is used for. The owner who sold it, also had no idea what it is. If anyone knows anything about this, info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
20211017_120634.jpg
20210810_205925.jpg

Victor Dekhtyar

Oct 17, 2021, 3:14:33 PM10/17/21
to neonixie-l

Here it is plugged in and lit up. As far as I can tell, none of the dials or buttons seem to change the display.
20210809_214803.jpg

Charles MacDonald

Oct 17, 2021, 3:53:24 PM10/17/21
to Victor Dekhtyar, neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 2021-10-17 3:13 p.m., Victor Dekhtyar wrote:
> Hey all!

> The problem is I have no idea what this equipment does or what a dual
> preset controller is used for. The owner who sold it, also had no idea
> what it is. If anyone knows anything about this, info is greatly
> appreciated!

My guess, and it is just a guess is that you set a count you want to
acheve and every time a an external machine does an operation, the count
goes up, and when it reaches the preset number - it tells the machine to
stop. Think of a printing press being set to make 500 copies.

--
Charles MacDonald VA3CPY Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca Just Beyond the Fringe

Terry S

Oct 17, 2021, 5:48:28 PM10/17/21
to neonixie-l
Well it's clearly a dual preset controller.... :-)

Jeffry P

Oct 17, 2021, 6:03:36 PM10/17/21
to neonixie-l
It is usually used in a lab setting. always used with another piece of equipment that had to cycle a preset number of times. The equipment power would be plugged in to the controller.
I had the equipment that this would connect to a long time ago and it had nixies as well. I can't remember what the exact piece was but it had something to do with DNA plates.

Mike Harrison

Oct 17, 2021, 6:07:15 PM10/17/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Looks like something that's designed to compare a count (or frequency) to two values entered on the
rotary switches below the display, maybe for some sort of industrial process control.

Victor Dekhtyar

Oct 17, 2021, 6:12:30 PM10/17/21
to neonixie-l
Awesome, thanks for the info! It's cool to find equipment with tubes that's not just a frequency counter or multimeter.

Dave ZL3FJ

Oct 17, 2021, 8:18:44 PM10/17/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I have a Beckman Electronic  Instrumentation catalog from 1967/68 and the 6220 Dual Preset Controller is  included in it.

I’ll scan the page or two that’s relevant later today and post the info.

DaveB, NZ

Victor Dekhtyar

Oct 17, 2021, 8:55:24 PM10/17/21
to neonixie-l
That'd be awesome Dave, thanks!

Dave ZL3FJ

Oct 18, 2021, 3:56:21 AM10/18/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

See attached.

Basically what you have is a specialized 200 kHz frequency counter with options  to generate outputs and stop/start

the counting etc, corresponding to what is preset on the two sets of decade switches- as per the attached data.

Cheers

6200 series industrial counters.pdf

Mac Doktor

Oct 18, 2021, 2:48:14 PM10/18/21
to neonixie-l

On Oct 18, 2021, at 3:55 AM, Dave ZL3FJ <2c...@silverbears.nz> wrote:

Basically what you have is a specialized 200 kHz frequency counter with options  to generate outputs and stop/start
the counting etc, corresponding to what is preset on the two sets of decade switches- as per the attached data.

I snagged a CMC 614A on eBay recently (seller picture):

Powers up, switches jiggle things around inconsistently, one tube cuts in and out, no further testing done.

My apologies for the overly-technical nature of the above description of the DIQ (Device In Question).

Does anyone have the service manual?

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor”

“And if a message comes from Balaam’s ass, analyze the message, don’t worship an ass.”—Dr. Gene Scott, circa 1985