Rare B8971 Nixie tubes

Kevin A.

Oct 12, 2018, 4:01:20 PM10/12/18
to neonixie-l
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my latest purchase; six Burroughs B8971 tubes. These babies are in great shape, and as far as I can tell are quite rare.

I'm going to trade 1:1 with a buddy of mine for some NOS 7971s. I originally wanted the bigger tube, even though they are more common. These are really for a guy who has it all and craves the rarity, aka my pal.

Anyways, thought I'd snap some pictures and show them here before I trade. Take a look:

20181012_155103.jpg
20181012_155107.jpg
20181012_155118.jpg
20181012_155200.jpg

Jens Boos

Oct 12, 2018, 5:37:25 PM10/12/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I honestly don't think that a 1:1 trade is representative of the value of the 8971's. But it's your call of course. Jens

"Kevin A." <ka...@scarletmail.rutgers.edu> hat am 12. Oktober 2018 um 22:01 geschrieben:

Nicholas Stock

Oct 12, 2018, 6:00:55 PM10/12/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
8971's are currently about $100 each....7971's are about 80 to 100 for the last while (there have been some bargains....ask me how I know...;-). I'd say on a price basis it's a reasonable swap, but on a rarity basis you're right Jens, but that can sometimes depend on the use case, and as far as I know, there's no plug and play clock for the 8971's....The MOD_6 has generated the demand for the 7971's however IMHO.

Cheers,

(Pharma) Nick

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/142635040.40793.1539380242455%40email.1und1.de.

Michail Wilson

Oct 12, 2018, 6:12:15 PM10/12/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Those are nice.

I didn't know they even existed.

Are you sure NOS 7971? Seems that NOS doesn't exist for those.

Anyway, I think you're be happier with the 7971 even if not NOS.

Michail

Nicholas Stock

Oct 12, 2018, 6:15:57 PM10/12/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The 5971’s are cute too...

Sent from my iPhone
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/000f01d46278%24a0cb42a0%24e261c7e0%24%40com.

Kevin A.

Oct 12, 2018, 7:17:17 PM10/12/18
to neonixie-l
On a rarity basis, perhaps not. But at least I know they're going to a good home, and in exchange I will get what I originally wanted. Perhaps I might cross paths with a few more next paycheck...

Greg P

Oct 13, 2018, 9:49:32 AM10/13/18
to neonixie-l
I wish someone would make a clock or a kit for the 5971's.  I have a bunch of them I'd like to light up.

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Oct 13, 2018, 3:23:13 PM10/13/18
to neonixie-l
Nick, do yo mind telling the source where i can get 8791's for 100$ ? :O

Nicholas Stock

Oct 13, 2018, 3:36:00 PM10/13/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Michail Wilson

Jun 18, 2019, 4:07:40 PM6/18/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Greg,

Still have a bunch of them?

Michail

Bill Stanley

Jun 18, 2019, 4:52:45 PM6/18/19
to neonixie-l
Hi Greg;

I have a ongoing clock design where I separate the CPU from the display. The main CPU board uses a SiLabs 8051 class CPU with LOTS of features (some might be considered a bit crazy).
The CPU generates all voltages (the 170 is adjustable under firmware for higher-voltage tubes. The cathode data is serial to the display drivers (using HV5812PJ-G). This was so I was no locked into the
10 cathode Nixie format, I can do Panaplex, LEDs, of 14 segment British Flag displays, just a Small Matter of Programming.

For display, I have the small display board with 9 IN-14 + IN 19 tubes with QTC sockets. I have the large display for 6 Z5600M Nixie + 3 IN-15 or IN12+1N15. I also have a display Hub that breaks out the display
signals to 3 (H/M/S) separate 20 pin ribbon that connects to a 3 tube display cluster.

I used the basic design to create a "Back to the Future" time console for a friend where the date is displayed with 14 segment LEDs

Were you just looking for a clock (or something more)?

  -Newer Bill-

Greg P

Jun 18, 2019, 9:21:21 PM6/18/19
to neonixie-l
Michail,

Yes, I do.  Been waiting in the wings for someone to make a kit/clock.  At this time, not willing to part with any.

Greg P

Jun 18, 2019, 9:23:01 PM6/18/19
to neonixie-l
Hi Bill,

Looking for direct drive clock that can also generate words since these tubes are alphanumeric.  I have zero programming skills so hoping something will present itself.

Michail Wilson

Jun 18, 2019, 10:13:02 PM6/18/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Greg.    Good to know that you’re hoarding them.   I would do the same.  J

Michail

Yes, I do.  Been waiting in the wings for someone to make a kit/clock.  At this time, not willing to part with any.

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 4:07:40 PM UTC-4, M1 wrote:

Greg,

Still have a bunch of them?

Michail

I wish someone would make a clock or a kit for the 5971's.  I have a bunch of them I'd like to light up.

MichaelB

Jun 20, 2019, 12:45:18 AM6/20/19
to neonixie-l
Hmmm....

Robert L

Jun 20, 2019, 2:06:59 AM6/20/19
to neonixie-l

As Michael says... Hmmmm....

IMG_20190512_082331 (Large).jpg

IMG_20190512_082252 (Large).jpg

Greg P

Jun 20, 2019, 6:18:34 AM6/20/19
to neonixie-l
Hmmmmmmm

Nicholas Stock

Jun 20, 2019, 10:18:53 AM6/20/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm....

Sent from my iPhone

martin martin

Jun 20, 2019, 10:30:50 AM6/20/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Bill Stanley

Jun 20, 2019, 4:13:32 PM6/20/19
to neonixie-l
Hi Greg;

Sorry for the delay, the real world called for some attention.

I looked up the tube and it shouldn't present any problems, but you will need to make some choices....
The QTC mounts I make are base on a 12 pin connector. Your tubes would require at least a 16 pin. This is no problem as I would have needed a new adapter for any new footprint.
This will require more driver chips and a code change to a longer data strea, trivial
We will need to work out the display characters (more personal taste) as is see a .gif uses different segments than I used for my LED clock, trivial ROM change

My base CPU will work with only firmware changes, the question to you is about the tube carrier and what you want it to look like.
Assume 6 tubes for a H/M/S clock
Assume tubes are spaced TT..TT..TT (any colon between?)
Assume Clock will display with "character numbers" for clock, What for date?   JUN 20 19 format or something else.
Do you want int/ext temp/humidity? If so, what will be the display format?
You have full alpha ability, anything else to display ("EAT AT JOES")?
Will you want pimp lights (base illumination)?
Anything else?

We can go with a modified small display PCB which is a little under 2" depth, width determined by tube spacing or with a standard display hub with 3 20 pin ribbon cables to 3 display clusters. Possibly wasier to build into a case, your call

If we get started, I should send you a clock with either a small display or a cluster display for you to get a feeling about. On your end, I will need the loan 1 or preferably 2 tubes for development

Also, I am an electrical guy, anytime I get case work done, it is a friend or contracted to small machine shops. I can't help with a case but will gladly work with and modify designs for whoever you have doing the case.

Anything I missed?

  -Other Bill-

Michail Wilson

Jun 21, 2019, 2:40:36 PM6/21/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Subject is B8971, but this thread seems to be about the B5971s.

Have you thought about the B5971 SmartSockets?

I had a bunch of boards made and a couple others have bought them.  Not sure about the drivers for features yet, but it’s serial communication and easily made to do what you want.  A simple NTP could be put on an ESP-8266 to drive it.

The boards, code, etc is online available.

Code is a link to my dropbox as I make small changes as I find either issues or better features.

https://oshpark.com/profiles/m1

Assembled view of 6 on 6.

https://imgur.com/a/T0DrMD2

Michail