B-5971 Smartsocket / Driver

M1

Apr 3, 2019, 11:34:00 AM4/3/19
to neonixie-l
Does any have or know where to get smartsockets for the 5971 tubes?

I did post the question in:

Figured this group will have more exposure to the kit, etc.

Thomas Kummer

Apr 3, 2019, 7:00:53 PM4/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Kummer

Apr 3, 2019, 7:04:08 PM4/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I want to make a 5971 clock too. However the code on the PIC will have to be a bit different as the 5971 is a 13 segment tube as opposed to the 7971 and 8971, 14+1 segments

Sent from my iPhone

Michail Wilson

Apr 3, 2019, 10:45:57 PM4/3/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Thanks though I am familiar with this link.

I was hoping to find a kit with all parts.  If I can’t find kits, I will just setup a group buy.

Michail

Bill Notfaded

Apr 3, 2019, 11:34:04 PM4/3/19
to neonixie-l
Ok guys I'm in too! Let's do this. I posted asking for the files from the Yahoo group a while ago... We need the PIC code for that PCB. I have a mother that's hoping she and my old V2 clock will have a baby soon.

The trifecta would be saweeeet! I picked up six from that auction too. Only 3 sets are left. I ran up those two B-7971 tubes a little then held off... They sold for 530$for two I think a new record.

IMG_20190403_150758.jpg
IMG_20190403_170741.jpg
IMG_20190403_170754.jpg

Michail Wilson

Apr 4, 2019, 10:03:52 PM4/4/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I was able to get the files from Yahoo Groups.

I've decided to go about putting the kits together myself since I will have about 24 tubes.

So, I just ordered 40 sets of the boards to have extras in case anyone wants kits.

Michail

Apr 4, 2019, 10:07:10 PM4/4/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I'm in put me down for two sets at least.  Did you get the PIC hex too?  This is exciting stuff!  Thanks Michail!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.

Thomas Kummer

Apr 6, 2019, 4:14:19 AM4/6/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Put me down for one kit too please.
Thank you, Michail

Sent from my iPhone

【ツ】John Smout

Apr 6, 2019, 7:23:35 AM4/6/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Just be aware that there is sometimes a startup issue with smartsockets. This is something I have experienced myself and others have reported it also. This results in a mangled display. Usually removing and restoring power will cure the issue. Sometimes it might take a couple of tries. Once in operation there is no further issue.

What I think is happening is that when the sockets start up they self-enumerate, the first socket daisy-chains to the next and they assign themselves a number. If a later one in the chain is not yet ready, the enumeration fails. I’ve had displays like 1-2-1-2 where I would expect 1-2-3-4 for example.

The possible fix might be to use the reset pin on the PIC, but the fuse for the reset pin was disabled when the code was compiled. Fortunately this pin is not used as an output and is still available. When I made the ZM1350 smartsocket PCBs I added access to the reset pins so that the smartockets could be reset in reverse order, to guarantee that each is ready at startup. The fuse for the reset pin can then be changed in the programmer - I use a Pickit - once the current hex file has been loaded into it. This code can then be saved back out. Be sure to use a pullup on the reset lines if they are to be used.

It would then be up to whatever master controller you devise to send resets to each of the smartsockets in turn before sending messages to them.

Maybe there is a way to ensure appropriate delays for each socket by delaying power to them - any suggestions?

John S

Bill Notfaded

Apr 6, 2019, 11:33:02 AM4/6/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I think I see where you're going with this... Power up the smartsocket 5V right to left?  If the delay is too large won't the same thing happen?  Won't the tubes already turned on start the enumeration before the first tube is ready?  It seems like maybe the initial delay before starting the enumeration in general is close to being too short.  I suppose this is in the pic code.

Bill

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/E600D9A1-37F9-4464-BBCC-9B18368D12BD%40jsdesign.co.uk.

Michail Wilson

Apr 8, 2019, 11:58:16 AM4/8/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Ok, I’ve finally finished ordering all the parts.  Coming from various sources, so, not sure when complete.

Little more spendy than I thought, but that’s life.

I will have enough boards for 40 exactly; although extra parts on everything else.  Everything from USA shipping except the socket pins which have an ETA of May 7th (likely sooner, I hope).

Of the 40 kits, I want 24 (for my tubes).   So, 16 will be available.

Noting that Bill and Thomas have first shot when I finalize costs.

PS.  Yes, I have the .hex from the yahoo forum and source, pics, etc.

You said two sets (does that mean 2 kits or 2 sets of xyz kits)

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

neoni...@googlegroups.com; on behalf of; Thomas Kummer [tmkumm...@gmail.com]

Put me down for one kit too please.

Thank you, Michail

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Notfaded

Apr 8, 2019, 12:25:48 PM4/8/19
to neonixie-l
I'm in for 6 smartsockets (one set)... that way Thomas can have a set of 6 as well.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Notfaded

Apr 8, 2019, 12:30:03 PM4/8/19
to neonixie-l
If Thomas doesn't want the other 6 I'll take them. :^}

Thomas Kummer

Apr 8, 2019, 1:43:14 PM4/8/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yes I would like six smart socket sets.

Sent from my iPhone

Thomas Kummer

Apr 8, 2019, 1:44:27 PM4/8/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I want to run a 6 digit clock. lol

Sent from my iPhone

Michail Wilson

Apr 18, 2019, 12:29:57 AM4/18/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Bill / Thomas,

I have most of the parts already.

The circuit boards and the socket pins are left.

The boards tracking is:

https://www.ups.com/track?loc=en_US&tracknum=1ZF51V700296347533&requester=WT/trackdetails

The problem is that the pins will take a long time (coming from Russia).

RO184731146RU  At least it shows it is on the way.  J

I am out of state until the 22nd.

Michail

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted