Hudson Snack Loop

Jake Kassen

Sep 6, 2022, 7:12:43 PM9/6/22
to NERds
Hey NERds. I have a new 100k perm approved which passes a whole bunch of small breweries, coffee shops, good restaurants, and ice cream stands for those in the Boston area who'd rather eat and drink as opposed to ride hard. :)

The official perm is #4542: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40843791

But I recommend riding this instead which adds a bit more dirt and is slightly longer:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40818536

This route was designed to be short and easy. It's about 1/3 on bike paths and 9 miles of unpavement. (The part south of Assabet Wildlife refuge is soft and sandy for about a mile.) It's a fairly unremarkable route but it's low traffic and as flat as you can get in the Boston western suburbs.

I might offer it as a late season populaire if there's interest. It's basically ridable until the first big snow after which the paths will be too icy until it warms up.

Jake

Danny Elfanbaum

Sep 7, 2022, 3:58:04 PM9/7/22
to New England Randonneurs
This looks fun!

And FWIW, I'd be interested in riding this as a late season populaire.

A. Campbell Payne

Sep 14, 2022, 9:42:20 AM9/14/22
to drelf...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
I might be interested in this as well. Is my understanding correct that RUSA membership is not required for riding a populaire? Might be moot if the ride ends up happening after 10/1, I'm planning on joining up then.

--
A. Campbell Payne
they/them

Jake Kassen

Sep 14, 2022, 10:01:23 AM9/14/22
to New England Randonneurs
For better or worse, all RUSA events (everything NER offers) requires
current RUSA membership. There was some talk about RUSA offering a
less expensive, shorter term membership but that's just in the
consideration phase at the moment. I will say the RUSA magazine
(American Randonneur) is well produced and a nice benefit of the
membership.

It's best if riders join well in advance as it can occasionally take a
week or two for the whole process to be complete and we aren't allowed
to let people start the ride unless they are a full member. (Although
I'd wait until October to join at this point.)

As for this potential pop, it wouldn't be until late October at the
earliest. I haven't discussed it with the NER board yet so don't mark
your calendars just yet. :)

Jake